UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa Rumor

I'm not thrilled with this development. I don't know what kind of kid he is but I would really hate to see him leave because the kid can ball. Also, I really don't want to see another defection from the program. I'm a big time Coach Brown backer, but these defections are starting to wear on me a bit.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I heard about Anthony "leaving" last night I was pretty upset. We have been following him through Wildwood, Winchendon, and throughout his freshman year, and he was one of the reasons I was most excited about this season. I would see him in the lacrosse ticket booth, or at the one woman's basketball game I went to, and I always hoped it would be like that for a full four years.

He is a very exciting player with a high ceiling, and although there were some mistakes, I (like everybody else) fully expected him to improve.

So, if Anthony or anybody that knows him reads this, I want to say that many of us would love to have you back. Your hard-nosed water bug style provided a ton of excitement, and your loss would be difficult.

Please consider all of the UA community when you make your decision. I think you will be happy here.

When I heard about Anthony "leaving" last night I was pretty upset. We have been following him through Wildwood, Winchendon, and throughout his freshman year, and he was one of the reasons I was most excited about this season. I would see him in the lacrosse ticket booth, or at the one woman's basketball game I went to, and I always hoped it would be like that for a full four years.

He is a very exciting player with a high ceiling, and although there were some mistakes, I (like everybody else) fully expected him to improve.

So, if Anthony or anybody that knows him reads this, I want to say that many of us would love to have you back. Your hard-nosed water bug style provided a ton of excitement, and your loss would be difficult.

Please consider all of the UA community when you make your decision. I think you will be happy here.

I'd like to second haggy's post......Jamar gave it a chance and became one of the greats...he was aslo close to transfering out.

Many of us were upset and angry last night but if there is any chance that he chooses to stay...we'd love to have him here.

This is one of the strangest things I've ever heard off. Hopefully Anthony makes the best decision for himself...if he decides to come back I believe all of us will welcome him back.

He's a good kid who seems a bit unsure of what he wants at this point in his life. If what he wants isn't here then we'll wish him the best of luck....if he choses to stay...I'll cheer my a$$ off for him every time he takes the court.

Bosiydid, I often don't agree with what you post, but I think you hit the nail on the head here.

I suspect very few of us (certainly including myself) was completely sure of what we wanted at the age of 19. While I would hate to see him go, I don't begrudge him that option. I only hope that he takes the time to make sure that this is really what he wants and not just a decision made out of frustration.

If he talks it over with his loved ones and determines that he really is better off elsewhere, I can't say I won't be disappointed, but I'll wish him well wherever he chooses to go. If he does decide to stay, I've little doubt he'll continue to be a UA fan favorite and enjoy success here, both on the court and off.

Either way, I wish Anthony nothing but the best.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Mar 19 2009, 03:47 AM) 41831[/snapback]
This is one of the strangest things I've ever heard off. Hopefully Anthony makes the best decision for himself...if he decides to come back I believe all of us will welcome him back.

He's a good kid who seems a bit unsure of what he wants at this point in his life. If what he wants isn't here then we'll wish him the best of luck....if he choses to stay...I'll cheer my a$$ off for him every time he takes the court.

Bosiydid, I often don't agree with what you post......

Sorry to hear that.... :blush:

While we wait for the final word on Anthony. I would love to see him stay. I would just ask everyone who is concerned about the supposed "mass exodus" during the Will Brown era, Has any player other than EJ Gallup transfered to another DI program and made any kind of impact?

While we wait for the final word on Anthony. I would love to see him stay. I would just ask everyone who is concerned about the supposed "mass exodus" during the Will Brown era, Has any player other than EJ Gallup transfered to another DI program and made any kind of impact?

Yes, I hope Raffa stays, too. I just hope that reason and logic prevail with him. He knows that we have been waiting a long time for his contributions to the program. He knows too much about the program, the coach, the school's expectations, and he needs to settle down and analyze all the factors before he throws it all away. Has he clearly thought through the prospect of sitting out a whole year to compete further on the Division I level?

Does anyone know the basis of the father's comment about poor treatment for his son from the program or Coach Brown? I know the problems that Anthony might have misjudged his role on the team. Anyone else have insights on this?

Yes, I hope Raffa stays, too. I just hope that reason and logic prevail with him. He knows that we have been waiting a long time for his contributions to the program. He knows too much about the program, the coach, the school's expectations, and he needs to settle down and analyze all the factors before he throws it all away. Has he clearly thought through the prospect of sitting out a whole year to compete further on the Division I level?

Does anyone know the basis of the father's comment about poor treatment for his son from the program or Coach Brown? I know the problems that Anthony might have misjudged his role on the team. Anyone else have insights on this?

I think when he said "mismanaged" he was referring to the idea of Anthony being recruited to play the point, which he obviously is not best suited for. He now will probably have to fight with Timmy, Ralph and Logan for minutes at the 2

So what you are saying is that Brown is recruiting kids that can't play at this level?

And here is my big problem with all of this: ANTHONY CAN BE A VERY GOOD PG...if he took the time to put the effort in this summer. I envision him, if comparing to an NBA point, a Greg Anthony type- more of a scorer when needed...but someone who is explosive enough to break down the opposing team to get easy baskets for his teammates. You saw flashes of this in high school and at Winchedon.

Well guess what-- it is tougher at this level and he needs to start putting the effort forth and he could have this be HIS TEAM by next fall.

So what you are saying is that Brown is recruiting kids that can't play at this level?

Some can't, some can but don't fit in with the style of play, some get home sick, some don't want to play basketball any more. I am asking others for what their ideas are. If a player leaves and never produces on this level at another program, how much of a loss is it? Players are not productive for many other reasons than lack of talent. Obviously Coach Brown is recruiting players that can play at this level and I believe that Anthony is one of them.

Some can't, some can but don't fit in with the style of play, some get home sick, some don't want to play basketball any more. I am asking others for what their ideas are. If a player leaves and never produces on this level at another program, how much of a loss is it? Players are not productive for many other reasons than lack of talent. Obviously Coach Brown is recruiting players that can play at this level and I believe that Anthony is one of them.

I agree its not a big loss, but why recruit the kid in the first place? A coach has to recruit kids that will be successful within his program and at his school. Is that happening under Brown? Doesn't look that way from a somewhat outside perspective.

I would assume his injury was very frustrating and probably one of the first times he faced real adversity..

He tried to play through an injury and wasn't very productive and that had to be tough on his psychy.

He sat out the final portion of this season and that had to eat at him.

Then he was finally cleared to play and didn't get much of an opportunity because I would think he was not in game shape or 100% physically. Barazza was cleared to play most of the season but was very limited due to his injury. Cleared for to play usually means you won't do anymore damage it doesn't mean you're 100%

For a kid who has always been a star the way the season ended must have been very disappointing.

I for one love his tenacity (which he lost when injured), his ability to create scoring ( and he couldn't get shots to fall after the injury) and I love his quicks.

Is he a PG (?) who knows - he was a freshman who started and for 2/3 of a season was fairly healthy. His assist/turnover rate was very poor but Jamar's wasn't good either as a freshman.

I hope he stays, becomes an even better player and works to make players around him better.

At 18 or 19 I would imagine it seems better to escape to a new promise;and.

Archived