UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Raffa Rumor

I am usually a very good reader between the lines-- it really sounds like Raffa's family, Coach, and his high school coach are against the move...but are supporting his decision.

This is solely a Raffa move and not a program issue. The kid basically had a challenge in front of him-- learn to play the point and split time with Mike next year and become the man for his junior or senior years...or play at the logjam at the 2.

He didnt accept the challenge....that is sad.

Dane,

Just like others here, I agree with the general nature of your comment. I'm being picky here, but I didn't get the sense that Raffa's family was reticent about the son's decision to leave the program. I'm probably not being that perceptive in reading between the lines, but I got the impression that the father disagreed with Coach Brown and his treatment of Anthony. Sorry, just being picky, but if anyone here has any other sense on this I would appreciate hearing it.

Yes, maybe Coach does have a small problem in recruiting kids who will stay with the program. If that's the case, then hopefully this incident will be a learning experience for everyone involved. Coach Brown is still quite young for a Head Coach, and maybe a few more years of experience will make him more able to discern the type of long-term talent we need and will retain. On the other hand, I'm quite sure Anthony will regret his decision. If he wants to run with the big dogs, then he needs to elevate his skill level.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad it couldn't work out but I don't see it as a HUGE loss.

Looks like McRae wants to stay. http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=3567

Anyone hear anything about McRae? Is he staying? I think they were having their one on one meetings with Coach Brown last week so I would assume this has been decided. Haven't seen anything reported though. Hopefully, no news is good news and he is coming back.

Bottom line-- kid didnt want it enough. You dont get handed a position...you earn it. If he really wanted to be the PG of the future he needed to stick around and work at it. That is the measure of a man. Sorry-- he didnt make his teammates better...AT ALL.

That is the PG's job.

Instead of pulling up roots and moving on...he should have shown his commitment. Coach really seemed to like the kid and he challenged him; I have no sympathy to anyone who cant take a challenge.

Bottom line-- kid didnt want it enough. You dont get handed a position...you earn it. If he really wanted to be the PG of the future he needed to stick around and work at it. That is the measure of a man. Sorry-- he didnt make his teammates better...AT ALL.

That is the PG's job.

Instead of pulling up roots and moving on...he should have shown his commitment. Coach really seemed to like the kid and he challenged him; I have no sympathy to anyone who cant take a challenge.

It's interesting looking at the offers these players received from different schools. A lot of them were very solid mid major programs better than Albany. This shows that Brown is doing something right being able to bring them to Albany instead.

Reid Anderson- Morehead St (went to the tourney this year, but not this year) and our rivals Vermont

Brett Gifford- Utah St. and UWM

Carl Ross- UTEP

Billy Allen- Dayton, Bowling Green and Miami (OH)

Josh Martin- Lasalle, Old Dominion, Toledo

Logan Aronhalt- There is a list of schools from the MAC, A10, but no check marks on offer. Im sure he had offers from most of them though

Jake Lindfors- Illinois St (which was 17-0 to start or something like that)

I would also think that style of play may have played into the decision. No insider info here, but as a fan I was told preseason that if the team rebounded and defended, we would see an up tempo program. Raffa may have heard some of this in his recruiting too.

Well, we rebounded and in general defended, and we certainly did not run. It is obvious that if Raffa is to excel it will be in an up tempo environment. I just don't see Coach Brown going up tempo. He just hates TO's too much. Raffa may have seen the writing on the wall. Right or wrong decision, who knows, but faced with the prospect of playing more games in the 40's than 80's, he made the move.

That is the PG's job.

It's interesting looking at the offers these players received from different schools. A lot of them were very solid mid major programs better than Albany. This shows that Brown is doing something right being able to bring them to Albany instead.

Reid Anderson- Morehead St (went to the tourney this year, but not this year) and our rivals Vermont

Brett Gifford- Utah St. and UWM

Carl Ross- UTEP

Billy Allen- Dayton, Bowling Green and Miami (OH)

Josh Martin- Lasalle, Old Dominion, Toledo

Logan Aronhalt- There is a list of schools from the MAC, A10, but no check marks on offer. Im sure he had offers from most of them though

Jake Lindfors- Illinois St (which was 17-0 to start or something like that)

Moreover, insofar as location and academics are concerned, are any of those schools---with the exception of Vermont---even close to UAlbany's "stratasphere" as D96 wisely (and accurately) put it in the Randall thread?

I think I've heard some good things about Miami (OH) (good hockey team; produced an NBA player named Wally; & produced a football player who later became a legendary Michigan football coach).

UAlbany’s Brown speaks about Raffa transferMarch 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

UAlbany coach Will Brown spoke on Wednesday night about the departure of freshman point guard Anthony Raffa, who’s received a letter of permission to seek a transfer.

“Well, here’s the disappointing thing,” Brown said. “We spent three years in a relationship with him, recruiting him, we care about him as much as a person and a student as a basketball player. We’ve invested a lot of time and energy and focus into him, so it is disappointing that he’s decided to leave. Like I told him, I’m going to be very supportive of his decision. If he thinks there’s a better fit elsewhere, I’ve got to respect that.”

Brown indicated Raffa wasn’t comfortable with the possibility of switching from point guard to a shooting-guard role next season.

“Without getting into it too much, I think he wanted to be a full-time point guard,” Brown said. “As a head coach, you’ve got to do what you perceive to be in the best interest of your program.”

Brown said UAlbany is searching for a point guard with the one scholarship it has available for next season.

Brown also said junior forward Scotty McRae continues to be under an indefinite suspension but has not left the program.

I disagree with most of the stuff posted on the times union blog, but what i did find interesting was raffa's playing time during the tournament. It does look a little shady playing him 2 min in the first game and 3 in the second. those two games brought him down from a double digit scorer to single digits. Playing him those few min defenitley tanked his stats which could have made a difference when transferring.

I disagree with most of the stuff posted on the times union blog, but what i did find interesting was raffa's playing time during the tournament. It does look a little shady playing him 2 min in the first game and 3 in the second. those two games brought him down from a double digit scorer to single digits. Playing him those few min defenitley tanked his stats which could have made a difference when transferring.

Raffa was hurt and was only available for emergency situations. In both of those mini appearances, UA was in foul trouble I believe, and had to have someone out there

Archived