UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Iati transferring

• 2 months later...

I was out of town this weekend so I may have missed this. Iati is coming to Albany.

Following an older brother, Jon, who scorched nets and smashed scoring records at York Catholic, Jacob Iati wanted to make his own way on the basketball hardwood for the Fighting Irish.

So how did he carve his own niche? He merely became the York-Adams League's all-time leading scorer, adding a District 3-AA title along the way.

Now, with Jon's five-year career at the University at Albany over, Jacob is again faced with cementing his own legacy in a path traveled by his sibling. Jacob Iati committed to NCAA Division I Albany recently, opting to leave Division I High Point (N.C.) after head coach Bart Lundy was fired after the season.

Felt need for a change: Iati went through three weeks of spring practice with High Point's new coach, Scott Cherry. Ultimately, though, he felt a change was needed.

So what better place to head than to the program that his brother helped reach the NCAA Tournament? Even if Jacob Iati is foregoing the warm comfort of North Carolina for the never-ending winters of upstate New York.

"It's tough to play for the coach that didn't recruit you and if coach Lundy was there, I'd still be (at High Point) today," said Iati, who scored 2,388 points in his high school career and will have to sit out a season because of NCAA transfer rules. "I felt comfortable (at Albany) more than a lot of other schools. I'm still playing Division I with a coach I'm comfortable with."

That coach is Will Brown, who led the Great Danes to a 15-16 record in the 2008-09 season. Brown guided Albany to the program's first back-to-back 20-win seasons and two NCAA Tournament appearances recently.

Seeking the right fit: Jacob Iati, meanwhile, said he looked at several Division I and Division II programs in his search for a new school. He said that sitting out a season was not the deciding factor that one might imagine.

"I would've gone D-II if I saw somewhere I was really comfortable with," said Iati, who will be on a full scholarship at Albany and said he has already been accepted to the school. "(Sitting out) didn't play into my decision as much as a lot of people might think."

Iati, who will enter his sophomore year in the fall, will have to prove himself all over again, though, after earning some consistent minutes at High Point toward the end of last season.

He saw some time at point guard and shooting guard for the Panthers -- Iati was more of a scorer, slasher-type in high school -- and averaged 1.8 points and 11 minutes per game last season.

Establishing himself for a new coach and teammates, plus living in his brother's shadow again, may be a daunting task. But it's one Iati is ready for.

"I'm going to take it as a challenge, to live up to what he did with how hard he worked," Jacob Iati said of his brother. "I want to be respected (the same way) for how hard I work. That's all I can ask."

I've met Jacob once or twice at random basketball dinners. He seems like a nice kid. Nice to hear exciting news during the off season.

I haven't been following too closely but how many people do we have on the team now??

A couple of thoughts when I read about his transfer:

-I had to guess JI would be paying his own way this year and getting a scholie next year.

-I don't know how good he is as a player but I think as a program having the two brothers play at Albany is kind of cool.

-I think with most recruits you probably guess what type of kid you're bringing in. There are none of those questions here.

-The Iati parents have been some of the best we've had here. I'm glad we're going to get them for three or four more years.

-We pretty much have to schedule Quinnipiac don't we?

Where are all these scholarships coming from????

Not on scholarship...maybe at some point down the line.

He is slight of frame so will need to spend allot of time in the weight room but is more of a PG then his brother. Great kid from a great family...should be nothing but an asset to the program.

Welcome aboard Jacob!

Definitly a head scratcher, I'm going to try to figure out the logic here. If someone can double check me on this that would be great.

2009-10 Team

Returning players on scholorship (8)

Allen

Aronhalt

Harris (Sr)

Johnson (Sr)

Ambrose

Barraza

Lindfors

Gifford (Sr)

Incoming Players on scholorship (6)

Tratt

Watts- Maybe he or another player from NY is getting financial aide if so this opens another scholorship

Metcalf

Glanton

Black

Urli

Players paying there own way (1)

McRae (Sr)

Right now 15 eligable players could be on the bench next season.

* How many players can a team red shirt in a year?

Sitting out because of Redshirt or transfer (2)

Puk- Confirmed by reports that he is paying his own way.

Iati- Not sure where the money will come from.

So there has got to be either someone leaving or paying their own way with assistance that we don't know about yet.

2010-11 Roster (13)

Allen

Aronhalt

Ambrose

Barraza

Black

Glanton

Iati

Lindfors

Metcalff

Puk

Tratt

Urli

Watts

Incoming recruit (1)

Stukes

The math still doesn't make a lot of sense either for the 2010-11 season. I'm interested in seeing A how much playing time CB can get all 15 players this year, and B how many players will leave after not getting enough time. Time will tell.

Jacob is paying his own way for now...we will see what happens down the line.

I dont care how the kid gets here...what ride he is on or is not...etc....etc.

The Iati's are a class act...and if Jacob has half the character Jon has-- and I suspect, without reservations, that he does-- then he will be a welcome addition to the Dane family. I look forward to seeing his parents in Albany and at the games in Boston.

Great news all around.

And for the record, Coach Brown has one heck of a job trying to sell playing time and team comes first over the next two-three years. If he does, however, this team will be VERY DANGEROUS. Hopefull all of these kids are exactly what Coach said: Character kids who know the game. If that is the case...the sales pitch wont be too hard: "HANG A BANNER AND GET A RING....plus play in front of 5,000 if we are running full steam ahead."

From - B9j2j6s ( A head scratcher)

2009-10 Team

Returning players on scholorship (8)

Allen (4 or 3)

Aronhalt (Redshirt - still recovering???)Harris (Sr) (2 or 3)

Johnson (Sr) (PG)

Ambrose (2)

Barraza (2 or 3)

Lindfors (redshirt - unproven) (4)

Gifford (Sr) (5)

Incoming Players on scholorship (6)

Tratt (2,3 maybe 1)

Watts- Maybe he or another player from NY is getting financial aide if so this opens another scholorship (2 or 3 maybe 1)

Metcalf (5)

Glanton (4)

Black (1,2)

Urli (JC will be a JR) (4,5)

Players paying there own way (1)

McRae (Sr) (can't be guaranteed he'll last) (4)

Right now 15 eligable players could be on the bench next season. ( basically 13 scholarship players with 2 preferred walk ons - not too unusual)

* How many players can a team red shirt in a year?

Sitting out because of Redshirt or transfer (2)

Puk- Confirmed by reports that he is paying his own way. (5)

Iati- Not sure where the money will come from. (1,2)

So there has got to be either someone leaving or paying their own way with assistance that we don't know about yet.

Forget the new math - we have players available (if they do what is expected of them), they will have to compete for time and I'm sure some will be unhappy if they don't get time but if they are as good as THEY think they are - they will play. Injuries should not leave us shorthanded, especially in practice. Summer workouts and preseason practice should be intense and competitive.

The Freshmen 2s, 3s and 4s already knew Ambose (2) and Harris (3 or 4) were in the stable and will have to be patient. Mike Johnson is our only experienced PG, so some Frosh will get a chance for minutes at the PG and the Bigs knew Giff a returning starter would be a SR.

Not shocked the younger Iati is coming to us. Thought he would come here initially, but wanted to make his own way.

It is ironic that the new High Point coach, Scott Cherry is a Capital District native and graduate of Spa Catholic. He attended UNC and "played" for Dean Smith.

Slightly OT, but since a championship is what we seek with incoming recruits, I offer the following. The whole conference is going to have an arduous challenge this year with Binghamton and Boston University looking to compete for the Title. Stonybrook will be a pain as well (they beat us twice this year) and probably better. UVM doesn't have Trimboli, but they still have the league's MVP ... .

Where does everyone see us finishing this year at this point? Although I have to pick Bingo to repeat, I think Bingo is a different team when facing us without Reggie Fuller. Fuller really went to town on us on the boards and, in my view, was a vital part of their team.

Tentatively, I might go with:

Tier I

1. Bingo (With 4 returning starters, Bingo will be tough, although they do lose a very underrated center in Reggie Fuller, who destroyed us on the boards; Jackson (G); and Montgomery (6'11" Center))

2. Boston Univ.

Tier II

3. UAlbany (Look for UAlbany to fight for a spot in Tier I)

4. UVM (no Trimboli, but Blakely will be enough to cause headaches for other teams; can UVM get enough outside shooting when teams double the league's MVP ... )

5. Stonybrook

6. UNH

Tier III

7. Maine

Tier IV

8. Hartford (Joe Z. back, but not enough as they lose to graduation Jaret von Rosenberg and Michael Turner)

9. UMBC (Proctor and Greene graduate)

Slightly OT, but since a championship is what we seek with incoming recruits, I offer the following. The whole conference is going to have an arduous challenge this year with Binghamton and Boston University looking to compete for the Title. Stonybrook will be a pain as well (they beat us twice this year) and probably better. UVM doesn't have Trimboli, but they still have the league's MVP ... .

Where does everyone see us finishing this year at this point? Although I have to pick Bingo to repeat, I think Bingo is a different team when facing us without Reggie Fuller. Fuller really went to town on us on the boards and, in my view, was a vital part of their team.

Tentatively, I might go with:

Tier I

1. Bingo (With 4 returning starters, Bingo will be tough, although they do lose a very underrated center in Reggie Fuller, who destroyed us on the boards; Jackson (G); and Montgomery (6'11" Center))

2. Boston Univ.

Tier II

3. UAlbany (Look for UAlbany to fight for a spot in Tier I)

4. UVM (no Trimboli, but Blakely will be enough to cause headaches for other teams; can UVM get enough outside shooting when teams double the league's MVP ... )

5. Stonybrook

6. UNH

Tier III

7. Maine

Tier IV

8. Hartford (Joe Z. back, but not enough)

9. UMBC (Proctor and Greene graduate)

I would agree with your post....Fuller will be a significant loss for Bing and I look for them to take a slight step back...who is going to provide the interior defense and rebounding? Perhaps one of the incoming kids but at this point they are unproven.

BU has the most talent (based on what we know) top to bottom especially with the return of O'Brian but they have a new system to learn, new coach to get used to etc. Plus it seems like every year they underachieve.

We will have a shot to compete for the championship, we will be young with allot of new kids to integrate but we have some good solid leadership in Timmy who has grown by leaps and bounds, Will who can hopefully stay healthy, Mike who is an upgrade at the PG spot over what we had this time last year and Giff who I think will finally get to spread his wings a bit.

Would it be fair to say that both Timmy and Will are All-AE type talents? I think so!

I think you're right Boisy, the more I think about it, we have a real shot at a title. I'm not sure we'll see a 14-2 team in our league this year, though I think the bottom teams might really stink.

I think our league won't be quite as strong this year, in part, because we are simply a league with lots of underclassmen right now, top to bottom.

Archived