UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple & Gold Scrimmage

yea i know. the AD did help out the private groups. Hopefully this is something that they push and really stick with and is backed 100% by the AD and the SA.

Many groups are involved and supporting this year. Student Life, Alumni Assn., athletics and the Student Assn. among them. I hope this is the start of something big!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great if we could get more students to games this year...It was pretty embarrassing that we couldn't even fill up the student sections last year when we HOSTED the conference tournament!

I would have to agree with this, I am glad we didnt have to play bingo, bc they had more students there than us at the tournament.

But i dont know if that was just a product of them having a great season.

I cant wait for this season to start, i predict first place finish in the AE!! :D

the biggest problem I had with the students when I would go to games is that the students that went just never got into it. They would look at me, GDG and others with the "what the hell are these guys doing" kind of mentality. If you going to sit in the student section, you better be up and ready to go. At the same time, that these RA's and RD's would come for one game a year to prove who was the better quad. Then never showed up again. I remember thinking "why the hell do I have to sit in crappy seats in the student section because a couple of guys who come to the game once a year with "Go Danes" one their chest get to sit up front."

then i remember..."thank goodness I got to broadcast games for the campus radio station." lol

however, if the student involvement does get big, they should take into consideration who shows up more then others. I remember one year they did a thing that if you went to an event, you earned points and stuff from the AD and got some free shirts. However, I think they need to expand that. If you ask me, if GDG is sitting in the student section with MsGDG, those two better be sitting in the middle leading the cheers. Not a bunch of frat guys who come to one game with their chest painted.

If you ask me, if GDG is sitting in the student section with MsGDG, those two better be sitting in the middle leading the cheers. Not a bunch of frat guys who come to one game with their chest painted.

I don't think we can be picky with which students show up at this point. Get students to show up and then deal with the good issue of having too many students there.

GDG and myself aren't students anymore and we have chairback season tickets now. No one wants to be the creepy old alums sitting in the student section. And I do enjoy having a comfy chairback :)

If you ask me, if GDG is sitting in the student section with MsGDG, those two better be sitting in the middle leading the cheers. Not a bunch of frat guys who come to one game with their chest painted.

I don't think we can be picky with which students show up at this point. Get students to show up and then deal with the good issue of having too many students there.

GDG and myself aren't students anymore and we have chairback season tickets now. No one wants to be the creepy old alums sitting in the student section. And I do enjoy having a comfy chairback :)

Yea I agree if you want both student sections to be full you can't be picky in who actually goes to the games. Take what you can get at this point and when they do start filling then deal with it.

I like to sit in the Student Section, I hope I dont look like a creepy alum.....

:rolleyes:

Alright, so I guess I'll be the first one to throw in my 2 cents on the scrimmage.

The number one thing which hits my mind right now is that when Timmy is going, he is absolutely unstoppable. I don't think anybody would have been able to stop him the way he was playing the first 10 minutes or so of the first half. After that nice start, I feel like he started to force things a bit to end the half, and he did a good job playing within himself in the 2nd half. I was very impressed with his jump shot. Towards the end of last year he started to show some good range, and it looks like he really worked on it this offseason, because he was hitting lots of jump shots. I am really excited to see what he can do this year.

The next big thing I took away is that I really think Urli can be a BIG factor for the team this year. Kid has some really good post moves, and was very active on the boards. I really hope he starts the year in CB's rotation, becuase i think he can be a HUGE asset to this team if he can bang in the post.

I don't think that offense will be too much of an issue this year. Mike Johnson looked real good shooting from the perimeter, as did Barraza, Derek, Timmy and Mike Black. Logan showed some real good flashes as well. If these guys can hit those shots consistently in game action, the points will be flowing.

It was good seeing Scotty McRae back out on the court. He had some nice defensive plays in the 2nd half, and looked very active on the boards. I just hope he stays away from that 3 pt line in games :unsure:

Only real concern of mine from today was the injuries. CB said that Will Harris is still being bothered from that injury last year, and he ended the game with an ice pack on his knee. Billy got hobbled up too and ended the game on the sidelines. Hopefully everyone is healthy and ready to go next week!!

Sorry if all this unorganized...My brain is kind of in overload, and I'm just shooting from the hip. If I think of anything else, i'll be sure to post!

BTW...I thought we had a GREAT TURNOUT!!!

Logan showed some real good flashes as well.

BTW...I thought we had a GREAT TURNOUT!!!

Thanks for the update, Cape. I was upset that I could not attend as I was really looking forward to seeing all these new faces.

I am going to love tracking Logan's progression throughout the year as I think he could be a very good player at this level.

Not too long until Syracuse now.

Easily the most well-run purple and gold scrimmage in a while. Congrats to those that made it happen, great introduction of the program to the new players.

I agree with RTC about Urli. He seemed really polished and confident down low. I can see why he and McRae will be battling for that spot.

Other guys I liked:

Metcalf. OK, pretty awful from the line but he really battles underneath. Seems like the kind of guy Coach Brown loves, scrapping for offensive rebounds and seems to get a hand on everything.

MJ looked like a different player as the Cape said.

Tartt. Seemed to start slow but really got it going. Handled the ball a fair amount in the second half. I'm not sure how they'll make it happen but if he's on the court with Ambrose and Harris he'll draw the opponents third best defender, that's a fun thought.

Aronhalt. Looked a little rusty but I thought was one of the most polished of the freshman. I can see him, Metcalf, Black and Tartt getting minutes early.

Enjoyed the scrimmage. When the guys came out, it was kind of shocking to see all the new faces. Pretty good show put on by the athletic department

pretty much agree with the review given by "Cape". Really liked what I saw out of MJ today. And this team looks very athletic. Can't wait for 11/9!

Archived