UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Success is entirely in our hands. If we fill the stadium then there will be an expansion. If not we're doomed. Rhode Island comes to mind.

I tend to think the rivary with Stony Brook will propel us forward. Rivaries are a good thing for all involved.

I'm looking at flights and seeing if I can break away for the home opener on 09/15. Not sure if that is feasible considering all that going on at home and work.

Attendance moving forward will be a big deal IMO. If this thing sells out or close to sells out every game then we'll have a lot of leverage to keep building.

I agree. My concern is how effectively we can make this "the team" of the Capital District and actually draw 15k-25k fans per game. We need fans of Siena, RPI, Skidmore, St. Rose, etc. to feel welcome and take interest in our football program. UA fans alone will not fill a 27k stadium (at least not now).

And ponder this: how many events with a set start time, and which events, draw 15k or more people in this area? Are any of these events sports-related? Travers, 4th of July Fireworks, certain concerts at SPAC (DMB), and what else? Not many events, and the only sports-related event to draw (and exceed) the attendance we want is the Travers.

Not trying to be a downer; just noting the challenge we face in drawing people to our games and urging that we market our product to all colleges in this area (I.e., perhaps let all students---even Siena for example---in for free).

Edited by UA_MA_2000

And ponder this: how many events with a set start time, and which events, draw 15k or more people in this area? Are any of these events sports-related? Travers, 4th of July Fireworks, certain concerts at SPAC (DMB), and what else? Not many events, and the only sports-related event to draw (and exceed) the attendance we want is the Travers.

But there are NO other outdoor venues in the area that can hold close to that many attendees. This is a first for the area. The fact that no other sports event drew that many isn't really a fair comparison. You'd never get 20,000 into Bleecker Stadium if the Giants played a regular-season game there.

But I do remember when the Firebirds were averaging 10-12,000 for Arena football at the Knick - indoors in the summer.

Edited by UAalum72

Firebirds games were great! Good point about stadium capacity. I guess we will find out about the level of fan support and interest this fall. I hope we sell out one or two games (home opener and homecoming).

I was at the Arena Bowl that we hosted and won (beat Orlando I think?). One of the best and most electric sporting events that I've been to.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

It will draw...and you will see more and more state championships in many different sports being held at BFF due to the central location of Albany and the ease of travel to/from.

Personally I'll have to see it to believe it...we had a good basketball product the last two years and attendance was average at best...I know it's kind of an apples to orange comparison but I'll have to see it to believe it.

`

It will draw...and you will see more and more state championships in many different sports being held at BFF due to the central location of Albany and the ease of travel to/from.

Personally I'll have to see it to believe it...we had a good basketball product the last two years and attendance was average at best...I know it's kind of an apples to orange comparison but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Better competition in the CAA, Saturday afternoon games, brand new facility. I'm not optimistic about the students yet...but I think you will see very strong local support.