UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Where are they now?

12 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

It looks like Hamlet Tibbs might only be at Notre Dame for a season. Mike Brey announced he'll be retiring and they're having a fairly awful year - a couple of games below .500 and at the bottom of the ACC. They were swept by Boston College this year - YIKES!

I kinda forgot Cam Healy was still playing college basketball but he's averaging over 6 points a game at Southern Utah who is in second place in the WAC.

CJ Kelley is having a great year at UCF. He leads them in assists, steals and is second in scoring. UCF is 13-6 with a home game against #1 Houston next week.

RE: Cam, man, what a flashback indeed. I just had a FB memory come up yesterday from the game where he scored a UA record 41 points and we hit 100 pts as a team in that game. FB said it happened 3 years ago.

23 minutes ago, Eli said:

RE: Cam, man, what a flashback indeed. I just had a FB memory come up yesterday from the game where he scored a UA record 41 points and we hit 100 pts as a team in that game. FB said it happened 3 years ago.

Yes. That happened while I was visiting Sydney Australia

• 3 weeks later...

Jamel Horton has left the Mississippi State team. I didn't see any reason given but his playing time was going down as the season went on. He was starting early in the season but has been coming off the bench since they started conference play. That looks like one transfer portal move that didn't work out for either team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

https://twitter.com/marksingelais/status/1672239526587281411?s=61

From Mark Singelais tweet:

Was pretty surprised to find out Baylor's Keyonte George, the 16th pick in last night's NBA Draft to Utah, is the son of former UAlbany guard Jason Siggers, who helped the Great Danes reach their first two NCAA Division I tournaments in 2006 and 2007.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BASKETBALL

Ex-Dane to represent India at tourney

By Julian Silva-Forbes

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F07%2F26&id=Pc0101100&ext=.jpg&ts=20230726073509
Provided by UAlbany Athletics

Former UAlbany guard Sarju Patel will play for India Rising in “The Basketball Tournament” on Wednesday.

Sarju Patel, who played on the University at Albany men’s basketball team last year as a graduate student, will compete in “The Basketball Tournament” on Wednesday.

TBT started in 2014 as an open-invite, single-elimination basketball tournament. The 2023 edition will see 64 teams compete for a $1 million cash prize. Players at the tournament include former NBA players and NCAA Division I college stars.

Patel, an Indian-American, c, a first-of-its-kind basketball team featuring players from the Indian subcontinent and diaspora. India Rising will face the one-seeded “Red Scare” in its first game, an opponent that made the semifinals of the 2022 TBT. The game will tip off at 8 p.m., Wednesday on ESPN+.

Patel said that while he hopes to win the game, he also values how India Rising can work towards increasing Indian representation in basketball.

“Winning and all that is important, but it’s also the message and the platform and the thing we’re building,” he said. “Honestly for me, that’s the most important thing: it’s just that message. Just having ‘India’ across your chest is awesome.”

Patel said he started training camp with his India Rising teammates on Friday. He noted that, before Friday, he had never played alongside another South Asian player.

“It’s honestly been the biggest part of my identity as far as basketball goes,” he said. “It’s gotten better and I’ve seen more South Asians hooping now than when I played in high school. Regardless, it’s always been such a big part of why I want to play and what I want to represent — it’s just anybody that’s doing something that is off the norm for whoever they are or however they identify.”

For Patel, joining India Rising caps over a decade of playing basketball. He started playing recreational basketball in third grade while growing up in Virginia. The six-foot-three guard then played Division I basketball at Virginia Military Institute and Cornell University before using his final season of college eligibility at UAlbany last year. As a captain at UAlbany, Patel averaged 7.8 points per game including a season-high 25 points against the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

When asked how he felt about the opportunity to play in TBT, Patel said he welcomes the chance to continue playing basketball.

“My plan (until last year) was to play pro. But after reanalyzing things with what I wanted to do outside of basketball and my other passions, I decided I was gonna be done after Albany,” he said. “It’s dope that I still get to do this TBT thing — get one more run at it.”

After TBT, Patel said he plans to work for “a year or two to get some experience” before entering law school to pursue a career in sports and entertainment law.

• 3 weeks later...