UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Postseason

I'm not a believer in the winning a tourney game helps the conference. I just don't see it. This conference will always be in the lower third of conferences and occasionally a little higher in a certain year no matter how many tourney games the teams win. This conference will continue to get the same level recruits as always even it SBU wins.

The conference does benefit in it's unit share payout with a win. The AE get's about 2 mil to spread out to all the teams over the 6 years, but they'll find a way to funnel it all to SB lol.

Someone posted an article about that on the AE board. Conference does not need to give the money to the teams. That money is the only benefit. I don't see any higher recruits selecting Albany or UVM or UNH because SBU wins a NCAA game.

I'm not a believer in the winning a tourney game helps the conference. I just don't see it. This conference will always be in the lower third of conferences and occasionally a little higher in a certain year no matter how many tourney games the teams win. This conference will continue to get the same level recruits as always even it SBU wins.

This. The AE, unfortunately, will never get higher than a 13 seed IMO...usually our AE teams are 14-16 with a couple 13's here or there. The teams that come out of the AE will ALWAYS have the 'pleasure' of facing the Kentuckys, UNCs, Dukes, Kansas', etc. of the world. Not saying they aren't beatable, but to expect an AE team to win a game (even though we've held teams close until the last 6-7 minutes virtually every time we've been in the dance) is just asking too much. Therefore, SBU going to the dance and making some noise does virtually nothing. If SBU wins this game (.00001% chance) and then goes to the dance next year...they'll still be a 13/14 seed. It's not like if they beat Kentucky and make it next year, they'll be a 10 seed which exponentially increases their chances of winning the first round game again by virtue of having an opponent more on their level.

Only way for us to increase our chances of winning tourney games is to go to a better conference which gets more love (seeding wise) in the tournament which lowers the competition and gets it more inline with our talent level versus playing a team full of future NBA'ers.

That's just my opinion though.

It's fun to get there and be on the national stage...but the cards are stacked against us/the AE and any other similar team/conference.

The conference does benefit in it's unit share payout with a win. The AE get's about 2 mil to spread out to all the teams over the 6 years, but they'll find a way to funnel it all to SB lol.

Someone posted an article about that on the AE board. Conference does not need to give the money to the teams. That money is the only benefit. I don't see any higher recruits selecting Albany or UVM or UNH because SBU wins a NCAA game.

Damn, no money?! They're going to spend it on our house rules commercials on espn3.

Damn, no money?! They're going to spend it on our house rules commercials on espn3.

LOL on both counts

If SBU wins this game (.00001% chance)

I wish you were taking some funds on this! If the game was played 10 MILLION times..you think Stony Brook would only win once?

If SBU wins this game (.00001% chance)

I wish you were taking some funds on this! If the game was played 10 MILLION times..you think Stony Brook would only win once?

Yep.

Stony Brook Seawolves = New England Patriots to this Jets fan. I hope that teams gets a temporary yet massive case of explosive diarrhea and has to forfeit the game.

:)

• Like 1

This. The AE, unfortunately, will never get higher than a 13 seed IMO...usually our AE teams are 14-16 with a couple 13's here or there. The teams that come out of the AE will ALWAYS have the 'pleasure' of facing the Kentuckys, UNCs, Dukes, Kansas', etc. of the world.

Never say never. Northeastern was an 11 seed a couple of times when they were in the conference and won a first round game. I think there may have been less teams then though.

Edited by Dane Pound

With due respect to many on this board...but the argument about an AE team winning an NCAA game not helping Albany...is flat out ludicrous IMHO. We are starting to sound like Siena fans. Sorry, just the way I see it.

When a kid gets recruited...he absolutely looks at the conference as a whole: Are the players my peers; can I compete; can i distinguish myself; what happens if I distinguish myself, e.g. does the league have a history of launching careers into a professional league; Oh, you say that a bunch of kids made it to the NBA? Excellent.

Guys...this IS the process. It's a fact. The biggest argument of I-AA football recruiting (and now FCS recruiting) is this SAME EXACT argument.

A kid who is borderline talent...or will be a role player for 2-3 years at a higher level...will absolutely way his or her options with respect to: can I win, can i get noticed, can i go to the next level from the league (if that's my goal); and can I get to the big tourney and do something.

You are kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

My personal opinion is that MANY on this board simply don't want to see SBU be the first of the SUNY-3 (Bing, Albany, SBU) to win an NCAA game. I too share that fear...but not to the extent that it will cloud my judgement of whether the win in a tourney or an NBA shot for Warney doesn't help other teams in this league.

They do.

How has it worked out for our conference post

UVM upset of Cuse?

It didn't. League is the same.

Your argument is similar to that of real estate - I hope my neighbor strikes it big and sells his house for X dollars. That will mean that my house is worth more or comparable. Except it doesn't work like that, and we are competing against Stony for recruits - most of the AE teams for that matter. We're also competing with them for scheduling as well. They make noise and they're a better draw.

I'm not some anti SBU person - a lot of my friends went there. If they happen to have an upset of UK, it will arguably be one of the greatest sports feats they will ever witness - happy for them in that case if pigs do fly.

• Like 1

UVM upset of Cuse?

Your argument is similar to that of real estate - I hope my neighbor strikes it big and sells his house for X dollars. That will mean that my house is worth more or comparable. Except it doesn't work like that, and we are competing against Stony for recruits - most of the AE teams for that matter. We're also competing with them for scheduling as well. They make noise and they're a better draw.

I'm not some anti SBU person - a lot of my friends went there. If they happen to have an upset of UK, it will arguably be one of the greatest sports feats they will ever witness - happy for them in that case if pigs do fly.

I personally know kids who have been recruited to the AE after "runs", both in the past and now. Believe me...it helps get better players.

And the league was better after the AE run by UVM.

Our level of hoops is cyclic.

Edited by Dane96

UVM upset of Cuse?

I personally know kids who have been recruited to the AE after "runs", both in the past and now. Believe me...it helps get better players.

And the league was better after the AE run by UVM.

Our level of hoops is cyclic.

I think that's what we're all saying...it shouldn't be. Over the last 15 years, the level of play in this league should have improved due to the success of UVM, UA and now SB. It should have an upward trajectory and not be so cyclical.

Frankly, being a fan for the last 10 years, I don't see better players. Cremo is nice...but so was Jamar. Sam Rowley was nice...but so was Taylor Coppenrath. Hell, Coppenrath is probably Warney's equal.

If runs such as UVM's and ours made a difference in this league, we'd have more guys like Warney and Coppenrath playing at our leagues schools. But we don't. Whether it's cyclical or not...the AE has not improved since I've been following UA hoops. And if it has, the improvement is negligible.

UA needs to bid it's time, continue to win as much as we can, until some slightly better conference offers us a seat at the table. Again, even if there was 1 example of an AE team being a mid-seed in the tourney, the vast majority of AE teams get 14-16 with some occasionally getting 13. You can't expect to win those games unless all of the stars align. This is why I think SB (whether I hate them or not) stands little to no chance. BTW, Northeastern is a VERY prestigious school right? No wonder why they were poached from the AE...had some to do with academics, I'm sure.

Warney can drop 60 on Kentucky and they'll still probably lose. We (AE teams) just can't run with the teams who have 4-5 1st round picks for a full 40 minutes no matter what we do. Even if we have guys like Coppenrath, Wilson, Warney, etc. We need a whole team of that caliber player...

Edited by Eli