UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Cremo nichols leave...

55 minutes ago, McFan said:

Cremo had a nice game against UConn today.  Started and played 31 minutes w 11 points.  3 for 3 from 3, all of those early in the 2nd half during a big Nova run.  It was tied at the half.  

Nichols had a great game as leading scorer with 19 pts on 7 of 11 but did have 6 TO's.  I gotta say I am surprised by the all the minutes he and Cremo are playing.  Thought they would be 5-10 min per game in a small role or mop up time.  

Announcers were calling for Nichols to be benched when he had three straight TOs when StLouis went to a press (down 20 with 5 min left) but FSU moved him to the 2.

Thought I heard some snark that he won’t get 40 points a game, this isn’t America East, but they were still pretty impressed

59 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Nichols had a great game as leading scorer with 19 pts on 7 of 11 but did have 6 TO's.  I gotta say I am surprised by the all the minutes he and Cremo are playing.  Thought they would be 5-10 min per game in a small role or mop up time.  

Imagine what these two would be doing for UA this season... I don't think we'd be sitting with 3 wins. 

8 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Imagine what these two would be doing for UA this season... I don't think we'd be sitting with 3 wins. 

It's highly likely we don't get Healy and/or Rizzuto if we have them two + Baker...but man, those 5 together would be a non-stop onslaught from the outside this year.

We had Healy and Rizzuto before we lost Nichols and Cremo, but you are right if Baker was here as well. 

Team would still be weak in the post, but I'm thinking McKinley wouldn't have left if Baker was still here as well. That could be a top 25 team.

Oh well, we reload instead of rebuild. This team will be fine in the AE. I still see them as a top 4 squad today. Just taking more growing pains than any of us expected.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

We had Healy and Rizzuto before we lost Nichols and Cremo, but you are right if Baker was here as well. 

Team would still be weak in the post, but I'm thinking McKinley wouldn't have left if Baker was still here as well. That could be a top 25 team.

Oh well, we reload instead of rebuild. This team will be fine in the AE. I still see them as a top 4 squad today. Just taking more growing pains than any of us expected.

Wait what? 

1 hour ago, BhillGuy said:

Wait what? 

Healy was on the team last season and Rizzuto committed during the season.

Having a lineup that looks like:

• 1. Nichols / Clark
  • 2. Cremo / Healy / Rizzuto
  • 3. Baker / Campbell
  • 4. Lulka / Lauderdale 
  • 5. McKinley / Hank

Would be a crazy lineup, and my top 25 comment was tongue in cheek and more a reference to Buffalo's success this year.  Who knows if that would have happened. There are other pieces we may have never gotten. Who knows if Clark would have come if Baker stayed. There would probably not be a Flory or a Miller or a Brooks. Might not have gotten French or Lauderdale. There is no point in really discussing it, but kind of fun to think about. Baker was a sad story, and McKinley looked like one of the most talented Big's we have had (at least what was seen in the P+G game, warm-ups, and the dunk contest that was on the UA TV show). 

Anyway, just interesting thoughts. 

Edited by godanesgo99

Now that I think about it, wouldn't be possible anyway. Had Baker not left, he wouldn't have used a red shirt and would have graduated last year. Verbal commits has him as a senior this year, but that was because of the year he had to sit out. He definitely would have helped last year's team though.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

Yep, he sat a year from transferring, then barely saw the court on a C-USA team. I'm only going on what was seen in extremely limited glimpses as he never played here. Videos, warm-ups, etc.

I don't know if he got injured or what happened to him, but he looked extremely athletic and what would be a very good AE player. The team I posted was adding him and Baker to this year's team with Cremo and Nichols not transferring. If you are looking at last year, you still had Stire, Foster, and Charles in the post instead of Lulka, Hank, and Lauderdale. 

I wonder what would have come if Baker had things go differently for him. He was one of the more talented players we have seen.

Anyway, the whole thing could be purple and gold glasses clouding the memory of guys that left. It doesn't really matter. We move on and hope this year's team cokes together and plays up to what looks like huge potential.

Edited by godanesgo99

51 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

The best true freshman I've ever seen at UA was Wheeler Baker...I started following in Jamar's junior year. 

I’ll never forget the dunk he made, where he took off from near the free throw line and floated to the hoop for the slam!

7 hours ago, Clickclack said:

The best true freshman I've ever seen at UA was Wheeler Baker...I started following PROGRAM in Jamar's junior year. 

Agreed. I followed a little before you, but not much. I don't remember Jamar as a freshman, but Baker was destined to be a CPOY until...  well. It's too bad he never played anywhere again.

I remember that dunk like yesterday as well purplehoops.

Edited by godanesgo99