UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Are we better now ???

Serious question .

Take our hearts out of it, and the fact that we r young and answer this question . 

Are we better now than the Canisius game ? 

I chose that game because it was at the beginning of the year and a win . Whether you say yes or no, give examples.  I know what I think,  I'm just curious what you think. 

There's no inside game.  When theres no inside game, there's no outside game to kick out to for open shots.  This offense is a MESS.  I know all the inside guys are young, but I'm not seeing much of a glimmer of hope based on the development as the year as gone on.  Healy is great when open.  Clark does Clark things and Rizzuto will be very good...outside of that..

Our interior game has been non-existent and we've definitely regressed on that part of the game. Our guards are generally okay but have days where they turn the ball over for fun it seems.

I'd say overall we're a little bit worse than that game as a whole.

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

Serious question .

Take our hearts out of it, and the fact that we r young and answer this question . 

I chose that game because it was at the beginning of the year and a win . Whether you say yes or no, give examples.  I know what I think,  I'm just curious what you think. 

We are worse today...I think a lot of it has to do with confidence shot. The offense has regressed, if you can believe it the defense has gotten better analytically. 

I continue to think that this team isn't that far off...I know, go ahead and laugh...they battled their ass off in the first half, led most of that half and held Providence to 27% from the field in the first half. Yes, they got sideways in the second and fell flat but right now they continue to be a team that showed decent flashes. They will put it together as time goes on and will learn from even this debacle of a second half. 

Listen, no one totes around a gas can on game day as much as I do but I'm not down right now...Providence is a different animal. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

The tough part about having an inside game is the big guys need to get the ball in the right spots to score. We're not running our offense well enough to get that to happen. Right now, it's a lot of four guys watching Ahmad dribble the ball and then try to make a play.

We have a lot of good pieces but we have a lot of work to do.

Honestly, it you took Peter Hooley, Mike Black and Sam Rowley, threw them out on the floor when they were freshmen, you'd probably get something similar to what we've had through the first dozen games.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Serious question .

Not really, but I didn't expect us to be. I know people are worked up over that ugly second half tonight, but that's whatever to me...second half of the Dartmouth game at home hurt more than this one for me. We have guys who just haven't played at this level enough yet and we're adding in even more pieces that are young and behind schedule with injuries. I don't expect it to be pretty until it clicks and the players get some confidence, maybe doesn't even happen at all this year. The team is talented and seems to trust each other, but I don't even know if most of the players trust themselves at times right now...if that makes sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZLK said:

Not really, but I didn't expect us to be. I know people are worked up over that ugly second half tonight, but that's whatever to me...second half of the Dartmouth game at home hurt more than this one for me. We have guys who just haven't played at this level enough yet and we're adding in even more pieces that are young and behind schedule with injuries. I don't expect it to be pretty until it clicks and the players get some confidence, maybe doesn't even happen at all this year. The team is talented and seems to trust each other, but I don't even know if most of the players trust themselves at times right now...if that makes sense.

Remember, the plan always was to have Rizzuto and Healey grow into these roles playing behind Nichols and Cremo. That was the plan.

I think one of the reasons we are worse now that earlier in the season is that teams have a good amount of tape to watch on how to stop us on offense.  Deny Healey the ball on the perimeter for open threes, force the ball to Campbell, force Ahmad to create, keep the bigs off their spots, etc. I think that makes a big difference and the kids are just not experienced enough to adjust yet.  

I'm not mad or upset by this season. Of course it's disappointing to have to watch but I just keep telling myself to be patient and not need to drive myself crazy. I can't remember a year where the only returning starter was our worst starter from the previous year. Also, you can prepare your roster for graduations but you can't prepare your roster for your two top scorers transferring after the season.

It is what it is at this point.  Just have to be patient. Hopefully they turn it on in AE play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

Also, you can prepare your roster for graduations but you can't prepare your roster for your two top scorers transferring after the season.

No one knows except for coach Brown what those two had planned since he had to know they were graduating. If this was planned out in a year in advance without giving him a courtesy heads up shame on them. I told myself to forget about them, but then again they left the program in a huge ditch.

I started this post because I truly dont see any improvement.  And that's very scary. The person who says they dont expect improve throughout the year is ludicrous.  Young teams are suppose to improve throughout the year . Case and point : You do something the first time. ( Anything ) ex) play in your first college basketball game. Now let's say you do that thing 10 times , or 20 times , or 30 times. You would expect to get better at it . Even if  you never did it before. 

There is still time and we do have some talent . I know we are young and there will be peaks and valleys. Only time will tell. 

Not better. Keep doing the same things. Illegal screens. Un-forced turnovers. Bad rebounding---often not in good rebounding position and when we do get the ball can't seem to hang onto it. I've and others have been complaining about "BAD HANDS" both in the rebounding game & in TO's, since game one. When the bigs do manage to hang onto an interior pass or the guards get past the defense, neither seem able to complete the play at the rim. Most of these deficiencies are correctable. How hard is it to learn how to set a proper screen; especially since it is has been advertised as an official "point of emphasis." Maybe/hopefully this all just takes longer than I expected?

The defense seems to have gotten better, but the offense worse. The O seems to suffer from bouts of negative confidence and head hanging seems to be their only solution. A Stire or Travis Charles on the floor would do more to help this team than the two malcontent graduate transfers lost.

Edited by dslyank

I know some folks thought I was harsh in looking forward to Lax season but in 2 weeks we are half way done with the season and I still see no improvement in most areas.  If they lose the next 3, they are 3-12 in OOC.  The team will be down mentally with no senior leadership to pick them up(sorry Devonte). We lost by 30 to an ok Big East team.  Bing lost last night by only 13 to an ACC team, Notre Dame.  Not sure we can beat any of the lower AE teams, no less sweep them.            Healy can't get open lately and hit the broad side of a barn.  Campbell is Campbell.  Rizzuto still way behind.  Hank is a space eater with no offense.  Lulka shows some signs but stone hands.  Lauderdale has a role but can't finish sometimes.  French has length but gets 2-3 illegal screens every game( hello coaches).  Miller, Brooks, de Sousa of little value so far.  Clark trying way too much to make it happen.                        Twelve games in guys and the gelling and experience is no closer than game one.  Call it as I see it and I have watched every game.  Sure I will get criticized so fire away.  Would love to see 10-6 in AE play but I would not  bet the ranch on it.  

• Like 1