UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020-2021 season in doubt?

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Yes, we desperately need some sports rancor. It’s tough to drum up sports rancor when there’s no sports. The Gazette has been running these mock fantasy drafts with their sportswriters for things like H.S. basketball boys and girls all time best. Last week It was all time LCC BB players. They eat up an entire page once a week recapping the Jordan documentary of which I’ve not seen a single minute. Then they usually have articles about what people and players think about what came out in the documentary. Good god! It almost makes me want to watch poker tournament reruns which wouldn’t be reruns to me since I’ve never watched one. How about a foosball tourney with the players in full PPE? Man, I wish I still had my football game with the vibrating metal table and metal, spring loaded QB. You want rancor? You should have seen the fights with my 6 year older brother over whether or not that stupid little felt football actually hit Del Shofner in the end zone. THAT was rancor. 

The Last Dance is pretty good IMO.

Note in the TU Mt Rushmore of coaches: Two of the four men (Ford and Sauers) and three of the women ( they count Trish VanDevere along with Coach Abe and softball’s Cris Cannata) were at Albany. TVD only played here as a freshman.

They could’ve put Roberto Vives in there too

Male coaches

Female coaches

Edited by UAalum72

5 hours ago, blorp said:

Genuinely absurd that Joe Bena was only an honorable mention

Toss Pat Riley. He didn't even coach here

Sounds like this article was intended to highlight the folks who were from the area, but not necessarily who coached in the area. If I misunderstood, I 100% agree with you (even as a 25yr+ long Heat fan who loves Riley lol).

Just to bring the thread back to the topic:  Governor Cuomo announced that NYRA is permitted to operate Belmont and Saratoga without patrons in the stands or on the grounds, effective 06/01/2020.  Further, Watkins Glen can run its racing series.  For us, the prospect of a fall sports season remains possible.  As a side comment; the governor 's announcement did not make the Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce happy.  No patrons in the stands during the day, no one at the bars and restaurants downtown at night.  The shops on Broadway are taking a huge hit.

Absent patrons and all they bring there is literally no point in the race meet except  remote gambling and state take of the money. I’d tell you what I really thought about Cuomo, but DP would accuse me of creating political rancor. Maybe he’ll recommend the stables board horses with equine encephalitis so they can all get sick and die. Governor Andy is counting on congress and the president to pull his bacon out of the fire and they are already signaling that the blue states can go pound salt. I’m disgusted with the response to this whole event. So DP, here’s some more rancor. 

• Haha 1

As I stated: "...announcement will not make the SCCC happy".  Apparently, jimbo is a member of SCCC.  My opinion for what it's worth:  the Governor will look for continue improvement in the COVID-19 numbers perhaps will consider reopening Saratoga to patrons for their tax dollars. Yes jimbo, the patrons bring so much to the track, such all the those with coolers with beer, races to enter the grounds for a picnic table.... traffic jams.... I think it is more important to get people back to work.  Jimbo did you know that 95 cents of every dollar spent of COVID-19 relief to date has gone to corporate bail-outs.  It is time to help those that help the person on the street.

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

As I stated: "...announcement will not make the SCCC happy".  Apparently, jimbo is a member of SCCC.  My opinion for what it's worth:  the Governor will look for continue improvement in the COVID-19 numbers perhaps will consider reopening Saratoga to patrons for their tax dollars. Yes jimbo, the patrons bring so much to the track, such all the those with coolers with beer, races to enter the grounds for a picnic table.... traffic jams.... I think it is more important to get people back to work.  Jimbo did you know that 95 cents of every dollar spent of COVID-19 relief to date has gone to corporate bail-outs.  It is time to help those that help the person on the street.

Nope, not an SCCC member, but as a county resident a beneficiary of the tax dollars that the racing meet creates. "I think it's more important to get people back to work." This confuses me. Who? Horse trainers, jockeys, groomers? Not all the people who work at the track serving the patrons? Not all the people who work in all the restaurants and bars that serve the patrons? What about the people who count on the $ they make from parking all of those cars on their lawn? I can go on and on, but apparently we differ as to who would benefit from the meet. I have a family member who is unemployed as a result of COVID and presently earns as much, if not more, than before being laid off. And that's due to the relief bill...so it DID help. The best thing the government can do is just get out of the way and let people go to work and businesses open up. Then we wouldn't need the bailouts. On the other hand, if a business that employs 10,000 people is bleeding money and goes insolvent and 10,000 people not only are out of work, but have no work to return to when the crisis resolves....what happens next? The government supports them in perpetuity? I don't like corporate bailouts and there should be stringent controls to prevent abuse, but if the alternative is 10,000 out of work AND hope of returning to work...what do you propose?

I know we are not suppose to talk politics; but hey you guys started it. Horse racing should be BANNED. Should not even be talking about it on this SPORTS blog. It is not sport. Jockeys are not athletes. Animals are abused.  And speaking of lost lawn parking, the parents of the seven year old who got in trouble for selling lemonade should have been locked up. They were pumping out more trays of brownies in a day than many of the tax paying and permit paying venders did in a week.

Wow got that off my chest. OK Toga fans fire back. Or better yet maybe DP will censor all this political talk and I could get the last word in. Go Great Danes-HOPE to see you soon.

If a business of 10,000 goes under is it the American people responsibility to bail the business out.  As an example, the airline industry is in trouble for poor cash management.  Their leaders failed to learn from the lessons in the past.  They spent their cash reserves on share pay backs to increase the share price.  In many cases resulting in bonus payouts to top management while their employees received nothing.

• Like 1