UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020-2021 season in doubt?

23 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I kind of stayed out of this thread because I really dont care about people opinions.  I do what I need to do . But then you go and say horse racing should be Banned . Lol. I am a thoroughbred horse owner and breeder (on a small scale). I can 100 percent tell you that these horses are treated better then 99 percent of the world.  Eating,  vet visits , training, ect. A lot of people dont know this but they LOVE to run. They truly do. 

I made my horse racing comment, sort of tongue & cheek. Just trying to get this blog redirected to UA SPORTS and off politics. As the next several pages proved, I FAILED miserably. Obviously I am not a fan of horse racing, each to their own. I wish you luck; HOPE you win the Derby. Still think it is not a sport--a game, a hobby, an amusement, whatever; IMHO. But each to his own and I absolutely meant no offense. Do get a little tired of "Toga's" , thinking the Capital District would not exist without them. Well back to BIG PURPLE POLITICAL FORUM. My apologies too horse racing fans and anyone else I offended for trying to get this forum OFF politica.

Edited by dslyank

8 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I made my horse racing comment, sort of tongue & cheek. Just trying to get this blog redirected to UA SPORTS and off politics. As the next several pages proved, I FAILED miserably. Obviously I am not a fan of horse racing, each to their own. I wish you luck; HOPE you win the Derby. Still think it is not a sport--a game, a hobby, an amusement, whatever; IMHO. But each to his own and I absolutely meant no offense. Do get a little tired of "Toga's" , thinking the Capital District would not exist without them. Well back to BIG PURPLE POLITICAL FORUM. My apologies too horse racing fans and anyone else I offended for trying to get this forum OFF politica.

...and the horse you rode in on

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

By the way, although I live 15 minutes from the track, I rarely if ever go. Never went in 2019 for example. Also, I tend to avoid Saratoga during the meet and avoid the crowds and traffic. Having said that, the $ that it generates is very important to many people and businesses. I too am tired of basically every newspaper and newscast making as if the meet is the most important thing on everyone’s minds. It is, without a doubt, the only “big time sporting event” that regularly occurs locally. Even if you may not consider it a “sport”. I happen to consider it a sport as the horses and jockeys are athletes in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the LA Times

California Gov. Gavin Newsom says the state could see pro sports return by the first week of June without fans.

Interesting development, although based on Last Week Tonight's very well-researched (as always) episode, there are still some issues to overcome. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29190501/gov-andrew-cuomo-encourages-ny-teams-reopen

"Hockey, basketball, baseball, football -- whoever can reopen -- we're a ready, willing and able partner," Cuomo said Monday during his daily news conference.

"I think this is in the best interest of all the people and the best interest of the state of New York."

Hope this means we'll have a FB season after all in the fall and BB in the winter and I hope the UA media team knows how to stream properly.

Edited by Eli

3 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Let's hope that is a good sign for fall collegiate sports.  Question.   If UAlbany football happens at Ford Field in a few months, and they allow spectators, who's going and who will choose not to go due to the virus? 

I'm there...no doubt about it ..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jimbo said:

By the way, although I live 15 minutes from the track, I rarely if ever go. Never went in 2019 for example. Also, I tend to avoid Saratoga during the meet and avoid the crowds and traffic. Having said that, the $ that it generates is very important to many people and businesses. I too am tired of basically every newspaper and newscast making as if the meet is the most important thing on everyone’s minds. It is, without a doubt, the only “big time sporting event” that regularly occurs locally. Even if you may not consider it a “sport”. I happen to consider it a sport as the horses and jockeys are athletes in my experience. 

I work in downtown Saratoga...I hate the track.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Let's hope that is a good sign for fall collegiate sports.  Question.   If UAlbany football happens at Ford Field in a few months, and they allow spectators, who's going and who will choose not to go due to the virus? 

I’d have to see what the plan was and what the infection rates were at the time. If it can be done safely, sure. I was at some games last year where it looked like most of the upper deck was practicing social distancing anyway. The opposite stands are usually sparsely occupied. I’d give it a shot unless it was apparent people were taking unnecessary risks. I still see brain dead a-holes walking around stores without a mask. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I haven't renewed my season tickets yet out of fear it would be cancelled and I wouldn't see a refund. That said, if games were happening and fans could go, I would renew and go. I'm not as afraid of the virus as others, and they wouldn't open for fans if it wasn't at least partially safe. I would distance, and would wear a mask if it was recommend, (it gets cold in the stadium anyway) but that is to keep others safe more than me. 

As far as keeping politics off the board, I agree wholeheartedly, but there are times when politics intermingle with sports and the conversation is very relevant. Just have to keep it to how the politics affects the teams and the university, and not this politician sucks and that one correct.

Who cares about FB & BB {JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING note I √ will be there.}; but I felt like my heart was ripped out when Lacrosse was canceled. Just as the team seemed to be turning the corner. As I wrote at the time, still hoping they have some sort of expanded FALL BALL LAX SEASON. Regardless, social distancing protocols allowing I'll be in my usual FB & BB seats and DO NOT forget Volleyball! [Bob 87 & I and a few other diehards always there--I assume alum73 also.}

• Like 1

Quint: How Are Coaches and Admins Protecting the 2021 Season?

Article in Inside Lacrosse today. Should probably post it there, but seemed it fit here also. Talks about the financial issues colleges face due to covid19 [and $$ issues that existed even before covid19.]  He raises some possible senerios, including delaying fall sports and even combining fall & spring sports. He also talks about many of the program cuts and team eliminations already announced. {Furman cut its lacrosse program today, not mentioned in Quint's article done earlier.}  Anyhow link if interested https://www.insidelacrosse.com.

I won't be going, but I don't like football, so I wouldn't be there anyway 👍

Honestly, I'm even a little hesitant on basketball until more is known about the impact of covid-19 on blood clotting/PE because I've got a genetic clotting disorder. Here's hoping though!