UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena/UAlbany Game

Siena-UAlbany men's basketball rivalry to return next season

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Siena-UAlbany-men-s-basketball-rivalry-to-return-16764208.php?IPID=Times-Union-HP-CP-Latest-News

"@ByMichaelKelly
Albany Cup men's basketball details, per source ...
2022: MVP Arena
2023: SEFCU Arena
2024: MVP Arena

The game later this year will serve as a neutral-court contest between the teams."
Edited by MRSGDG

14 minutes ago, Eli said:

Can someone post the article here? Not giving the TU any money for their pay wall. 

Also, didn't know the arena changed names. Cool. 

The Albany Cup men's basketball rivalry between Siena and the University at Albany is back on starting next season, sources confirmed Monday.

Siena and UAlbany put out a joint news release on Monday, saying simply "It's back" and there will be a press conference for a "special announcement" at noon Tuesday.

It's a three-year deal with the teams playing a neutral-site game at MVP Arena next season, a UAlbany home game at SEFCU Arena in 2023 and a Siena home game at MVP Arena in 2024, according to sources. The sides are still working out the date for next season's game.

The Saints and Great Danes haven't played since 2017 over a disagreement over whether to play the game at larger MVP Arena, which is Siena's homecourt, or SEFCU Arena. They've met only once at SEFCU Arena, a UAlbany victory in 2016.

However, Siena athletic director John D'Argenio seemed to soften last spring on possibly including SEFCU Arena in any new contract and Saints head coach Carmen Maciariello said last June the rivalry was "looking good" to return in the 2022-23 season.

MVP Arena general manager Bob Belber said he was pleased to see the return of the game, which routinely drew 8,000 fans or more into the downtown venue.

"I will say we're extremely happy that the two colleges were able to work out the financial arrangements to enable the game to take to take place here," Belber said Monday. "The crowd sizes for that game were always bigger compared to just a normal home game with the fan bases that wiould get together in one location. And certainly with our building having a bigger capacity than SEFCU, the crowd size here with two collective fan bases is always going to be a lot bigger. So we're very happy to have it back and hope it'll be for many, many years to come."

D'Argenio met with his counterpart, UAlbany athletic director Mark Benson, last May to discuss reviving the rivalry.

"What we did pledge is we'll put everything on the table," D'Argenio said at the time. "Nothing's off the table. We'll put everything on the table and have those discussions and see if we can't get to a place that's going to benefit Siena, UAlbany and the community."

Benson said in May that both sides were "open-minded" to see how the negotiations could move forward.

"I think it's good for college basketball in the Capital Region," Benson said. "It's good for fans. Particularly given this year we've all been living through, anything we can do to help inject some positivity and passion and some fun would be good."

Efforts on Monday to reach D'Argenio, Maciariello, Benson and first-year Great Danes head coach Dwayne Killings were unsuccessful.

“For this community, I think college basketball is and has to be such a big part of it," Killings said in October. "I think we have a unique opportunity here in the future to play Siena. I think that creates a really unique engaging experience here in the Capital Region to have two different sides cheering and going crazy, get bars filled, get people wearing their Albany shirts, their Siena hats, whatever it is, but you get a change to represent yourself and have bragging rights, that’s cool.”

"I wanted ths game for 3 years I just don't believe it," tweeted former Siena guard Jalen Pickett, who has since transferred to Penn State, upon hearing Monday's news.

Siena leads the all-time series 34-24, including a 10-7 edge since the Division I rivalry began in 2001. However, the Great Danes won six of the last eight meetings before the current hiatus.

Note: Siena freshman guard Jared Billups was named Monday as Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Rookie of the Week. He had 11 points in Sunday's 69-62 victory over Fairfield.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Can someone post the article here? Not giving the TU any money for their pay wall. 

Also, didn't know the arena changed names. Cool. 

Install the duck duck go browser. You can burn your history and reset the article count. Boom, all the articles you can read and no paywall issue.

• Haha 1

Coach DK was not asked about that game. Talked about team . Covid set them back, but he thinks that Danes will be tough by tournament time.

Benson talked about how he has "good relationship" with people over at rt 9. Their AD was mentioned. He also mentioned that their lacrosse coach came from Albany. A few other ties were mentioned. Then he went into your "favorite" topic. The extension of the football coach. 

Do they usually have these archived on the website in case I am forgetting something.

• Like 1

If anyone is thinking the renewal of the UAlbany - Siena rivalry is just about satisfying a desire of the Albany basketball community... you are kidding yourself.  This is a flat-out attempt by both AD's to generate revenue....may I say badly needed revenue for both schools.  The details of announcement are going to be important.  I waiting to see if UAlbany season ticket holders will be required to purchase tickets for the 2022 game ("neutral" court @ MVP Arena).  The 3-year deal is to allow an opportunity for both AD's to evaluate if they can take further advantages of the fans.

I have estimated a three year deal has a estimated value of $1.1 million and $1.3 million over three years, my estimates included:

• 25,000 people in attendance over three years (may be a little high; however I expect heavy advertisement and marketing to all season ticket holders and the greater community
  • Average ticket price $35.00 (this may be a little low) could be as high as $40 in final year of deal for the UAlbany fans
  • Concession stand value $250,000 - $350,000
  • Parking revenue generated at Dutch Quad from Siena fans $20,000.00 (2023 game)
  • Unknown amount from additional endorsements

So as the UAlbany AD & Siena AD are saying "Show me the money and I will show you a rivalry."

19 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

It's a three-year deal with the teams playing a neutral-site game at MVP Arena next season, a UAlbany home game at SEFCU Arena in 2023 and a Siena home game at MVP Arena in 2024, according to sources. The sides are still working out the date for next season's game.

Rodger Wyland had BOTH games @mvp being HOME games for lcc. Did NOT call it a neutral site? Will wait for more details noon today?

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Rodger Wyland had BOTH games @mvp being HOME games for lcc. Did NOT call it a neutral site? Will wait for more details noon today?

The press release calls the 22 game a neutral site game. I didn't see the press conference today so I don't know more details. I can't attach it from phone to here

Edited by bob87