UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Conference Realignment- With NCAA comments

Dane96

6 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Hopefully SB will get banned from all America East playoffs this year. The last time a team was banned Albany made the tournament because of it.

Per the league's rulebook, under Section 4, part b:

"Upon notice of an institution’s intention to withdraw from America East, the institution’s teams become ineligible, on a date to be determined by the remaining members of the Board of Presidents, to compete for Conference postseason championships.”

The rule was put in after Northeastern skipped. The CAA did the same to Old Dominion and Georgia State.

Theoretically they could make the date after the basketball season, but I wouldn't bet on it.

11 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Per the league's rulebook, under Section 4, part b:

"Upon notice of an institution’s intention to withdraw from America East, the institution’s teams become ineligible, on a date to be determined by the remaining members of the Board of Presidents, to compete for Conference postseason championships.”

The rule was put in after Northeastern skipped. The CAA did the same to Old Dominion and Georgia State.

Theoretically they could make the date after the basketball season, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Makes sense they’ve bent over backwards for them over the years. None bigger than when they were able to host the America East championship in a venue that didn’t meet the min capacity to host.

46 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why don't you see it? Are you of the same galaxy brain that conveniently forgot to give UAlbany a medical school in the 60s or ripped CSTEM from us?

Never heard of the medical school before.  I learned something new about UA history today.  Hey look I feel you my friend.  We all want to see UA succeed.

46 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Why don't you see it? Are you of the same galaxy brain that conveniently forgot to give UAlbany a medical school in the 60s or ripped CSTEM from us?

HAHA never heard the story about the medical school before.  I learned something new about UA history today.  Hey look I feel you my friend.  We all want to see UA succeed.   I am optimistic that no matter what happens Athletics will end up in the best place for success.  

1 hour ago, B9j2j6s said:

Never heard of the medical school before.  I learned something new about UA history today.  Hey look I feel you my friend.  We all want to see UA succeed.

They gave SB a medical school and a hospital but bupkis for UA. And SB was a clean sheet institution without the Teacher's College baggage. Obviously we screwed up horribly while SB made the right choices. 

UA doesn't want to succeed and SUNY doesn't want it to succeed. Might as well dissolve the school and sell the land. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

They gave SB a medical school and a hospital but bupkis for UA. And SB was a clean sheet institution without the Teacher's College baggage. Obviously we screwed up horribly while SB made the right choices. 

UA doesn't want to succeed and SUNY doesn't want it to succeed. Might as well dissolve the school and sell the land. 

Get a hold of yourself, you're posting crazy! 

• Thanks 1

Except for football the caa is a ONE BID conference in most/all other sports. I don't follow soccer, swimming, wrestling but in basketball, lacrosse, women's volleyball, baseball and softball, pretty sure they rarely or never get at large bids. OK, by expanding they are gambling on changing this, but it is by no mean a certainty, in fact given the strength and money in the power 5's, at large bids for non-majors are more likely to shrink, rather than expand.

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

Except for football the caa is a ONE BID conference in most/all other sports. I don't follow soccer, swimming, wrestling but in basketball, lacrosse, women's volleyball, baseball and softball, pretty sure they rarely or never get at large bids. OK, by expanding they are gambling on changing this, but it is by no mean a certainty, in fact given the strength and money in the power 5's, at large bids for non-majors are more likely to shrink, rather than expand.

Don't be so sure.

Lacrosse is going to be stunning on both sides, and the addition of Albany to CAA lacrosse would arguably make it the Top 2 league in the country behind the ACC (maybe 3 if the PL is ahead).  SBU, Hofstra, UMASS, Towson, Drexel, Delaware, and Albany are all teams that could be in the Top 20 consistently.  

Baseball is a potentially multi-bid league.  

Women's lax, same thing. 

You are assuming UA is or will be invited and if they would even accept?? All question marks IMHO. Agree, it may likely make the caa a multi-bid conference in lacrosse. Just pointing out historically they were NOT and still think that expansions does not guarantee anything. As I pointed out in a previous post there are only 8-10 at-large bids in lacrosse, 5 of which are taken by the ACC. Also, even with the expansion the caa would still be no better than 4 or 5 top conference. Your Top 2/3 prediction is ignoring Ivy, Big 10 & Big East. Leaving the Patriot, caa and yes even the AmEast battling for the leftover at-large bids. 

{ps first media poll has Vermont in top 20 and UA getting votes--caa also has 2 teams in 20+ currently}

My other points about the caa gamble is (1) the power 5's are not going to sit back and let mid-majors cobble up at-large bids & (2) other mid-majors are also not going to sit back and LET the caa cobble up NCAA leftover bids {maybe the AmEast is going to sit back and dissolve 🤨, I hope NOT; but there are other mid-major leagues looking to defend their turf. Both at the Power 5 level and mid-major, more changes coming still.

15 minutes ago, dslyank said:

You are assuming UA is or will be invited and if they would even accept?? All question marks IMHO. Agree, it may likely make the caa a multi-bid conference in lacrosse. Just pointing out historically they were NOT and still think that expansions does not guarantee anything. As I pointed out in a previous post there are only 8-10 at-large bids in lacrosse, 5 of which are taken by the ACC. Also, even with the expansion the caa would still be no better than 4 or 5 top conference. Your Top 2/3 prediction is ignoring Ivy, Big 10 & Big East. Leaving the Patriot, caa and yes even the AmEast battling for the leftover at-large bids. 

{ps first media poll has Vermont in top 20 and UA getting votes--caa also has 2 teams in 20+ currently}

My other points about the caa gamble is (1) the power 5's are not going to sit back and let mid-majors cobble up at-large bids & (2) other mid-majors are also not going to sit back and LET the caa cobble up NCAA leftover bids {maybe the AmEast is going to sit back and dissolve 🤨, I hope NOT; but there are other mid-major leagues looking to defend their turf. Both at the Power 5 level and mid-major, more changes coming still.

Not assuming anything.  I was putting in a scenario.   I am also not ignoring anything, I am very much attuned to the lax world.  The Big East and Big Ten are not as strong as people would like to believe.

Top 3, regularly based conferences, IMHO:

1. ACC

2-3 IVY and PL

A league that features:

Albany; UMASS; Hofstra; SBU; Towson; Drexel, and Delaware...plus an up and coming Monmouth and Fairfield (both sitting in PRIME recruiting regions) is VERY, VERY formidable and no less than the PL and IVY.  Hampton is a newbie...i don't count them.

Edited by Dane96

Removing this post.  

Don’t want powerless marginalized communities to use the full power of government and commerce to attack me… because powerless communities?!?  I’ll enjoy my free speech in a locked closet.

Edited by Michigan_Dane
  • Haha 1