UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

I see an announcement was posted Friday with concept pictures of both the gym and arena renovations. Some of the arena pictures have been posted here earlier. If the gym isn't to be finished until March '23, I don't know where they plan to play volleyball or basketball next year. Looks like the gym may only have seats on one side

https://ualbanysports.com/story.aspx?filename=pe-renovation&file_date=4/21/2022

Love a line in there that the gym was home "even for the university’s basketball teams for a period of time. "  

Yea, only for about 27 years.

Edited by UAalum72
  • Like 2

So is the inside track gone as well.  Are we building the bubble as well?  Wow if so.  Also interesting the use of private funding, is that the Casey naming rights money?  

Definitely swept under the rug, this announcement was made on a Friday and no local papers covered this?  Very strange, but then again the anti athletics people would have gripe about how could we privately fund this project and not the whole athletic department.  

I wonder if the PE gym renovation completion in March 23 was a typo.  I have to imagine it will be done before September.  

Edited by B9j2j6s
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

I see an announcement was posted Friday with concept pictures of both the gym and arena renovations. Some of the arena pictures have been posted here earlier. If the gym isn't to be finished until March '23, I don't know where they plan to play volleyball or basketball next year. Looks like the gym may only have seats on one side

https://ualbanysports.com/story.aspx?filename=pe-renovation&file_date=4/21/2022

Love a line in there that the gym was home "even for the university’s basketball teams for a period of time. "  

Yea, only for about 27 years.

Looks like the announcement was pulled off the website?

6 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Looks like the announcement was pulled off the website?

Link still works for me. I downloaded it as a PDF for posterity but struggling with uploading it right now as my internet connection in the Maldives ain't so hot. 

Edit: can't attach since the file size limit on BPF is like 52kb. See if this link works: (link removed as it's not needed) 

Edited by Eli

5 hours ago, Eli said:

Link still works for me. I downloaded it as a PDF for posterity but struggling with uploading it right now as my internet connection in the Maldives ain't so hot. 

Edit: can't attach since the file size limit on BPF is like 52kb. See if this link works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XzLGdvHkYbtVshfc-jUKZIz5nSs4L3v2/view?usp=drivesdk

The link works. What i meant was it is mot on the ua sports page if you go yo the news section. Meaning you could not find it if you didnt’t have IA72’s link.  

• Like 1

Yeah I found it searching the whole University web site trying to find the completion date of the University Gym (surprised I never heard anyone call it the UG) renovation.

Benson certainly got his name into the announcement often enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

Yeah I found it searching the whole University web site trying to find the completion date of the University Gym (surprised I never heard anyone call it the UG) renovation.

Benson certainly got his name into the announcement often enough.

Makes sense.  After the news came out that you posted, I was working off my phone and went to the main university site for news and couldn't find anything.   Probably mobile vs. regular app. Interestingly, I don't thin kit's complete because some of the items look draft like, for example "Mark's quote".  Clearly a place holder. 

I don't know how they can start season ticket sales until they announce where the games will be played.

I remember we played one game at the St. Rose gym when the SEFCU floor was being replaced, but that's too small and not viable for a whole season.

• Like 1

Ok, let's break this one down:

Notables

1. Where we will play- I would not be surprised to see us play a combination of games at St. Rose, the MVP, the Armory, and any local h.s. with large gyms (help build the game).  From a HS perspective, I could easily see games at Shen and Colonie. 

2. Funding- $12 million estimate for the Arena; $2.5 million for University Gym.  The former being private money, it is quite impressive.  I believe some of it comes from the Casey family donation, however that (based on what I was told in the past) is well less than half of that number.  

3. Cost Differential- The original estimate, which include "bleacher seating" (noted for later) was for $7.5 million.  However, the plan noted it would be increased due to CO's.  My guess is that in addition to the cost of goods increasing (and thankfully we are not using a ton of steel, it would seem), the biggest addition is the two locker rooms.  They are large spaces and there is zero doubt that the work for that is a pretty penny, so to speak.  The good news is that it means less money will be required for the SEFCU core, which was to include the lockerooms.  That project was slated to cost $12.5 million and is even noted in the original planning where they say "design likely to change somewhat pending anticipated changes to the Arena and planned changes to PE Phase02.

4. Changes- Clear statement that there will be plush, club seating in the northern corners.  This is in lieu of luxury boxes and is probably the right move.  Capacity will be right near 3,800 (something we also knew) and quite frankly other than the "sound" of the number feeling small, I'd rather have 3,800 seats in this configuration, with these amenities, then we would see with 400-1,200 more seats to get to the current 4,200 capacity and the former 5,000 capacity on gamedays.  The look and feel are more "big time" now.  I am sure they will get over 4,000 for big games.   The lockeroom looks fantastic and I am very glad (as I am sure DK and staff are) that they moved this out of the Core Construction (third on the list of UA athletic needs) to the current construction.  Massive selling point for recruits. THE TRACK IS GONE.  This leads me to believe the Air structure is close to reality, plus it looks better. 

5. PE Building University Gym- looks really good.  Getting new scoreboards is lovely.  The use of bleachers for one side only allows them to add the extra court, so it sounds like there will be 2 regulation basketball courts and a third "practice court".  This is the first time that I have seen the comment that there will be a dedicated practice court for men's and women's basketball.  While not its own building (I honestly don't get the separate building thing), having a dedicated section for men's and women's basketball helps the school schedule more events at SEFCU that can bring in revenue, and the teams won't be displaced.  Again, this is great for recruiting.

6. Phase 2 PE Building- have not been announced but they are addressed.  My guess is Phase 2 will have expanded sports medicine capabilities.

7. SEFCU- my guess is that we will hear a SEFCU announcement that coincides with the opening of the Arena after renovations.  If you look at the overhead, the new Great Dane logo appears...so it is a new concept design document.  If you look near halfcourt logo, you will see TWO SEFCU logos.  Excellent if true, and great to see continued community engagement with athletics.

8. Air StructureI think it is close to reality.  The track team would only have beneath the podium to practice right now or the armory.  I know recreation and club sports are also affected by not  having the bubble.  So I am presuming this is a go, and we can get State funding since only $2.5 was used for the PE gym.  If we get all of this (SEFCU, University Gym, and an Air Structure)...it would be a boon and also a sign we are ready to play a level up.

I give Benson a lot of flack at times...but you need to give credit when it is due.  Right now, he is crushing it with these upgrades, Kudos to Mark and his staff, including Vic Cegles. 

Also, in not so great news...potentially....

9. Bleacher Seating- I came across this in a presentation about Summer 2022 construction at the University: Q: Is it cost prohibitive to eliminate bleacher seating and go with all chairbacks in the reno of SEFCU Arena? A: From the standpoint of staying within the budget we have committed to the project, we have decided to move forward with bleacher seating. I am hoping they mean bleacher seating with chair backs (telescoping bleachers) vs. bleacher seats.  That WOULD be disappointing to lose 400 seats and not have chair backs as was originally intended for most of the arena.  

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Ron said:
"Athletics is Awesome."

UAlbany Director of Athletics Mark Benson

Also, grammatically incorrect.  I didn't want to $iena on the announcement, glad someone else caught it as well.

Edited by Dane96