UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

42 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere I think...but this IS concerning.  There were NEVER supposed to be chairbacks for the student section...only chairbacks for the rest of the arena, some chairs getting plush chairbacks.  So, I hope you are right...that this was the OLD choice just for student seats.  However, the budget for the seats was 2.5 million and I can tell you that construction costs have gone up a ridiculous amount with the economy.  So, I could see 2.5 million being cut to 1.5 to deal with cost overruns elsewhere.  This would be VERY troublesome.

Could costs have gone up so much the privately-raised $11M isn’t enough any more?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Could costs have gone up so much the privately-raised $11M isn’t enough any more?

Absolutely.   In my work, our cost of goods have gone up 40%...no lie, and we need similar products (with the sole exception of concrete) that they would need in the arena.  It's insane.  We actually have told our clients to put orders in for an 18-24 month lead time for items that normally take 16-20 weeks.  

Just watched the zoom thanks UA72.  Very interesting I like the idea of the fitness center in the PE building.  It will allow for the next phase of the SEFCU renovation.  I will miss the pool but it makes a lot of sense what they are doing. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, unless this is completely wrong...the contract has been awarded to the low bidder...LaChase Construction out of Rochester.  

The value is $10,892,000 and includes an Alternative that each bidder had to price, which is wifi routing.  Very cool that the building will have wifi upgrades, which will definitely help the fans and game day production activities.  

There were 6 bidders, the average bid was just over $12million.  At $1,162,233.33 under the average bid, it is almost impossible for the school to have ignored the savings.  I believe the original budget was for $10,000,000.00 for construction and $2,500,000.00 for the bleacher system.  So, if the bleachers are included, then this is a good deal...if not, it was about what I would expect for current construction costs that have risen in the last two years (average increase is in the 30% range, this was 11.6%).  If that includes the purchase of the bleachers, then it is a heck of a deal.

The contract start date is May 27...completion date is Nov 1, 2023.  

There is a $300,000.00 budget for Field Changes.  Field Changes usually do not require detailed approvals and are different than Change Orders. 

LaChase is a mid-sized construction outfit, and has done a ton of collegiate work (including the Dutch Quad reno).  Major athletic specific jobs include:

Edited by Dane96
  • Thanks 1

Hey I would love the two sides to be chair back.  If it saves some money to make both endzones bleachers so be it.  Still going to be a nice arena when all said and done.  Just one question, how are we funding this?  Is a company buying the rights to run the arena and the basketball teams are going to be the tenants?  I seem to remember reading about an arrangement like this at another school.

The Phys Ed Renovation and pool infil (Part of Phase 1) was awarded to AOW Associates in December of 2021, finalization will be in December of 2023. Total value is $2,971,700.00 and there was an $840.00 change due to the start date for NTP.  Basically, the provided the union labor to the Construction Authority.

Just now, B9j2j6s said:

Hey I would love the two sides to be chair back.  If it saves some money to make both endzones bleachers so be it.  Still going to be a nice arena when all said and done.  Just one question, how are we funding this?  Is a company buying the rights to run the arena and the basketball teams are going to be the tenants?  I seem to remember reading about an arrangement like this at another school.

Privately funded...all of it.  That said, arena rights go for about 100,000-300,000 per year...so the money had to come from elsewhere as well. I do believe part of the Casey donation was to go to the arena.  Not sure if it is true. 

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Major athletic specific jobs include:

That Colgate facility is nice from the outside/lobby. Seating looks meh but that was probably design choice too.

Edited by Eli

2 hours ago, B9j2j6s said:

So now that we know the timelines for the University Gym and SEFCU where do you think we will practice and play this year? 

Well, since high schools need their gyms...I am going with a combination of the Armory, the MVP, Hudson Valley, and St. Rose.  Easier to work out gym time with a college than a high school. 

Edited by Dane96

6 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

If they are going to play at random gyms for the games, how are they going to do season tickets?

Everything General Admission I guess??? No reserved/assigned seats??? If they do it this way, I know some people who already said they will not get season tickets this year; but I said you might be jeopardizing your seat choice/priority for when "SEFCU/CAP COM" reopens 11/1/203?????????

• Like 1