UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

Not sure I like having only one or 2 OOC games at home. But you DO make a couple excellent points:  if we are going to be "road warriors" anyhow, might as well really play away; and like you say maximize the # of home games 2023-24.

Also, like your Armory idea. Seems the last couple of years have averaged around 2k or less; except for opening game and the growl. Probably squeeze 2500-2800 into Armory for the rare "big" crowd; but agree with "72" 3600 seem unrealistic.

Anyhow, like usual I doubt any of us has any say in the matter; but fun to speculate I guess.

Always been saying the Armory and I actually don't think some understand HOW difficult this scheduling is because of the following factors:

1. Cost for game day operations and practice rental

2. Making sure schedules fit the academic schedules of the students

3. Making sure the court and other facilities for game day operations (there are NCAA requirements) are up to snuff

4. Whatever facility we use will have other activities there so this makes it difficult for us to just go to any local school whether it be a high school or college (including HVCC)

5. Having a broadcast ready facility

Look, this year is going to be a fan wash-- we don't need a large facility because frankly, I suspect we will average about 1,000 a game, at best.  If it were in the PE building, totally different ballgame.  Quite a shame it isn't in the PE building because packing students into that building, plus local fans, would give the freshman an idea of "holy smokes...this is amazing".  Is what it is.

Pure speculation however to answer the above questions for the Armory. 

1) there is little scheduled at the armory so I don't think this will be much of an issue.  

2) home games are either at 7pm or on the weekends. For practices, The drive from suny to the armory will have little impact on the players.  

3) there was a pro team playing there.  They have locker rooms, concession stands, ect.  I'm sure it would pass NCAA standards. 

4) like I said above there is very little scheduled at the armory, at least publicly.  

5) the patroons had internet TV broadcasts of their games or there must be something there. 

They may not play there at all but my guess it would be the easiest if the armory and UA wanted the games there.  

3 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Pure speculation however to answer the above questions for the Armory. 

1) there is little scheduled at the armory so I don't think this will be much of an issue.  

2) home games are either at 7pm or on the weekends. For practices, The drive from suny to the armory will have little impact on the players.  

3) there was a pro team playing there.  They have locker rooms, concession stands, ect.  I'm sure it would pass NCAA standards. 

4) like I said above there is very little scheduled at the armory, at least publicly.  

5) the patroons had internet TV broadcasts of their games or there must be something there. 

They may not play there at all but my guess it would be the easiest if the armory and UA wanted the games there.  

Completely agree with you, which is why I always advocated the armory if it is cost effective. 

6 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Official Announcement

Building on Greatness

Still refers to SEFCU Arena

Looks like the name change will occur:  Broadview Arena

"In the wake of the SEFCU-CAP COM merger in June, the arena’s name will be changed to the new branding for SEFCU, O’Connor said. The two credit unions will operate under the Broadview brand after their merger is official this August."

• Like 1

Also, no need to fret...the meeting last month for facilities that talked about bleachers just means we are not doing a "fixed" seat set up.  Benson confirmed nearly all seats will be chairbacks.

"The changes to the interior of the arena will reduce the seating capacity, which was 4,215 last season for basketball. That number will drop to approximately 3,800 due to the changes, which include seatbacks for nearly every seat. Right now, very few of our seats have backs. In the renovated arena, they’ll all have chair backs with the exception of one student section in an endzone,” Benson said. “So because the seats will be wider, our capacity will diminish. I think the trade-off is definitely worth it."

I concur with his assessment.  

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the less seats is perfectly fine as we all stated. It fills in the arena more for the TV viewing audience and it doesn't look nearly as empty. Plus, I think seat-backs over bleachers is acceptable in every form.

• Like 1

That is fantastic news.   Also, as far as the less capacity.  Its a smart move.  On a bigger scale, the MLS has grown in a huge way because of how the smaller arenas look on TV vs. big arenas with a lot of empty seats.  Sports look better with fuller arenas.  No matter how small.

In a perfect world we would not have lost any capacity with the changes ... but, if we are getting 3,800 a night and turning folks away, that will be a wonderful problem to have ... all "seat back" chairs is a huge plus ... we can start talking about a new arena with larger capacity in a few years ... I like the direction/momentum ... to steal a quote, "It's a great day to be a Great Dane!" - TTP

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Looks like the name change will occur:  Broadview Arena

"In the wake of the SEFCU-CAP COM merger in June, the arena’s name will be changed to the new branding for SEFCU, O’Connor said. The two credit unions will operate under the Broadview brand after their merger is official this August."

"The game is at SEFCU" vs "The game is at BVA"...not bad. Glad it wasn't some weird name like Acrisure.