UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SEFCU Reno

On 6/23/2022 at 6:34 PM, Dane96 said:

Well, since high schools need their gyms...I am going with a combination of the Armory, the MVP, Hudson Valley, and St. Rose.  Easier to work out gym time with a college than a high school. 

I am wondering whether the Huerter Impact facility is in the mix?  I know it can be configured for a full sized NCAA D1 Court, but, I do not know anything about seating capacity or parking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, statefan said:

I am wondering whether the Huerter Impact facility is in the mix?  I know it can be configured for a full sized NCAA D1 Court, but, I do not know anything about seating capacity or parking.

Great idea.

34 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Heard today to expect an announcement next week.

1. They have to decide what to call the arena after the SEFCU/CapComm merger

2. Not decided yet where to play next year, but HVCC seems to have the inside track

Seems safe to assume that SEFCU reupped then, finally.  

• Like 1

IMO HVCC is a no brainer. It's not much farther from the UA campus, so it doesn't require people from the north (CP, Saratoga, etc.) and the south (Selkirk, Coxsackie, etc.) to have to travel that much farther. If they went to Glenns Falls Civic center, for example, that would have been brutal for the southern Capital Region folks. No bueno.

And when I graduated from HVCC in 2008, the gym seemed more than big enough to accommodate such a scenario. We are in a slump attendance wise and aren't packing gyms anywhere.

The ONLY problem with HVCC is The Hill. But I'd just as quickly go down 787/87, hit 90, and come through Rt. 4 and the southern entrance.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

HVCC from what I remember haven't been since 2007 (went to twice) is similar to the current SEFCU arena configuration.  It is all bleachers so that is what it is.  The scoreboard is very similar to the old scoreboard and parking wasn't terrible.  Probably our best option. 

Saint Rose would be a second option but from my time there as a master's student the parking is HORRIBLE.  I doubt the parking situation has changed. 

I don't think Siena wanted us using the RAC or MVP.  So yeah HVCC makes the most sense, glad they are making a wise choice. 

OT- Could inflation and supply chain problems be the reason the athletic administration decided to do both projects (UG and SEFCU) at the same time?

Edited by B9j2j6s
  • Like 1

Parking at HVCC is WAY better than parking at SEFCU. Forgot to mention that. You have three SEFCU lot sized lots right by the arena and then some smaller ones on the backside (between the baseball stadium and the sports complex). No more walking 10-12 minutes from the Dutch Lot. 2 minutes tops from the HVCC lots.

Edited by Eli

• 3 weeks later...

Part of me says that this should have been all settled by now. Another part of me is thinking that this would be an opportunity to introduce UA basketball to some new fans by scattering the games among a few venues. As long as they don’t alienate existing fans in the process, that could be a benefit. I’d think any court from MVP to Glens Falls would be in play. 

If I were the AD this is what I would do:

Play only 1 or 2 non conference "home" games.  Let us get a little used to the venue for the conference schedule.  Playing mostly away games this year will allow us to have a larger home non conference schedule next year.  The 1st year of the new arena.  

I would play this year at the Albany Armory. I went there for the  Championship a couple of weeks ago.  It was hot but there were 2k people there.  The parking was fine and the venue was fine.  It's a smaller venue so even with only 1k people there I'm sure it can get very loud and be a decent home court advantage. 

There is not a ton of stuff there so scheduling should not be an issue. I'm also guessing it will not cost the university much and will keep the games in albany. 

Edited by UA1882
  • Thanks 1

SEFCU and CAPCOM announced that as of August 1 they will be operating as divisions of the new Broadview FCU, so I'd guess that will be the new name. At least those are real words, not a corporate alphabet jumble (like Heinz Field in Pittsburgh changing its name to Acrisure)

Wiki says the Armory has a capacity of 3600 but that seems, um, optimistic