UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: Game 1: @UMass 11/07 - 7:00pm

I don't remember who normally starts these, but with the season opening in a few days, felt it was time to start one.

Marcus Jackson may be missing due to a wrist injury, and Neely isn't ready yet. It doesn't sound serious for Jackson which is good, and I think we expected that with Neely.

https://www.dailygazette.com/sports/ualbany-mens-basketball-great-danes-could-be-missing-2-key-players-for-opener-at-umass/article_a5ce43fc-79d2-11ee-9703-1feae05355f4.html

• Thanks 1

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes intent on getting defensive

By Pete Dougherty

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F05&id=Pc0170600&ext=.jpg&ts=20231105064946
Jenn March/Special to the Times Union

UAlbany’s Jonathan Beagle is the team’s top returning scorer. He averaged 12.4 points a game.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F05&id=Pc0190700&ext=.jpg&ts=20231105064946
image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F05&id=Pc0190800&ext=.jpg&ts=20231105064946

ALBANY — All of the red flags were there. The University at Albany men’s basketball team, on its course to an 8-23 record and basement finish in the America East, placed last in the conference in points allowed (75.2 per game) and percentage field-goal defense (.491).

That caused the Great Danes, for the first time in their 22-year Division I history, to miss the America East postseason tournament, finishing with a 3-13 conference record.

Like many college basketball teams in this era of the transfer portal, UAlbany overhauled more than half of its roster. The six returning players accounted for just 37 percent of the scoring and 40 percent of the rebounding last season, putting ample responsibility on nine newcomers.

Early on, the emphasis has been on the defensive end.

“We’ve been pretty impressive offensively in our two scrimmages,” said coach Dwayne Killings, entering his third season with a 21-41 (.339) career record. “We got to get better defensively. That’s going to be a process for us.”

Some ingredients are there, at least when healthy. Killings called Marcus Jackson, a 6-2 sophomore from Amsterdam, “one of our better on-ball defenders,” but the younger brother of NBA player Andre Jackson (Bucks) is recovering from injury — a fractured right wrist. Ditto for sophomore Justin Neely, the America East Rookie of the Year two seasons ago but still recovering from a knee injury.

Neely, who was in his home area of Miami this week to have his knee examined, is definitely out Tuesday for the Danes’ season opener at Massachusetts. Killings gave a glimmer of hope for Jackson, who will have his wrist checked Monday, to play against UMass.

Jackson has been around practice, staying in shape and doing whatever drills he could, and learning a lot about his new teammates.

“We’re a very connected group,” Jackson said. “Coming into this year, I would say we play faster. We weren’t as good defensively last year as we could be this year. That really helps us push the pace. Last year we wanted to play fast, but we didn’t have the personnel.”

The best thing to come out of the Danes’ rough season was Jonathan Beagle, a 6-10 sophomore forward from Hudson Falls who was the conference Rookie of the Year. He averaged 12.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per game, getting selected Rookie of the Week nine times.

“We’re trying to get right on the defensive end,” Beagle said. “We have a lot of talent offensively. Defensively, if we get it right, we’ll be in a good position.”

Also back from last season are 6-7 junior Aaron Reddish (8.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg), 6-4 sophomore Ny’Mire Little (3.4, 1.1) and injury-riddled senior guard Will Amica (1.3, 0.2).

Among the new faces are five transfers: 6-1junior Sebastian Thomas (Rhode Island), 6-7 graduate student Marcus Filien (Cornell), 6-3 graduate Tyler Bertram (Binghamton, Alabama-Birmingham), 6-4 sophomore Amar’e Marshall (Hofstra) and 6-5 junior Muneer Newton (NAIA William Penn). Fi-lien is an Albany Academy graduate.

Four freshmen — 6-2 Zach Matulu from Shaker, 6-2 Zane Adnan of Gaithersburg, Md., 6-8 Jack Margoupis from Sutton, Mass., and 7-0 Bautista Giralt from Argentina — round out the roster.

Thomas, who transferred in from Rhode Island, will be running the offense. He averaged 4.3 points and 2.4 assists in his two seasons with the Atlantic 10 Rams, making 16 starts.

“It’s definitely a process getting to know guys, getting to know their tendencies, where guys want the ball and things like that,” Thomas said. “It’s a process, but I’m still learning, and hopefully we can get it rolling.”

MORE FROM Sports

7 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I don't remember who normally starts these, but with the season opening in a few days, felt it was time to start one.

Marcus Jackson may be missing due to a wrist injury, and Neely isn't ready yet. It doesn't sound serious for Jackson which is good, and I think we expected that with Neely.

https://www.dailygazette.com/sports/ualbany-mens-basketball-great-danes-could-be-missing-2-key-players-for-opener-at-umass/article_a5ce43fc-79d2-11ee-9703-1feae05355f4.html

I usually do em but man, the season snuck up 😂. Wasn't even on my radar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, UA1882 said:

The defensive rotations are absolutely horrible. Cannot get any worse.  UMass is not a good team.  Those things are taught.  It's effort.  That's my issue.  

I think to me that's the most disappointing...the defense is every bit as bad as last year. Once there is an initial beat of the dribble no one rotates over to cut off the driver. 

• Like 1