UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: Game 1: @UMass 11/07 - 7:00pm

1 minute ago, olddog71 said:

I won't even put game nights into my calendar.

I'll still go. I'll still root. But I'm disgusted. It's not like the team should have won this one, but there is no way it should have been a blowout. 

Again, I'll reserve judgement until after Neely and Jackson return, but this game did not give anyone in Albany any confidence. I'm sure there are positives to take from the game, but I fail to see them at the moment.

Well….the beat goes on. Yes, it’s just one game, but it sure feels old already. All the talk about an improved defense was just that—-talk.  Defense is technique and hard work, particularly when boxing-out for a rebound. I saw very little of this tonight. 
I hope things improve. We’ll see. Neely at 100% will really help. We have a 7 footer sitting on the bench. Has he been red-shirted? Hurt? Anyway, the D has to get better if this team is going to be competitive. Bottom line.

• Like 1

The final stats don't actually look as bad as they did earlier in the game. If you didn't watch the game and just saw the stats you'd think the team just shot poorly and turned the ball over more, but the game was lost by halftime. The first half saw nothing go right, and the stats at halftime told the real story.

Positives: FT% was great in the second half. Team did show a lot of fight with loose balls and seemed to play hard diving for balls. Shot selection didn't seem terrible, they just didn't fall. 11 players got minutes. Thomas looked really good at times. Margoupis looked like he could become a rotation player. Absolutely love seeing Amica on the floor. He was so highly touted and so unlucky with injuries. 

Need to figure out something offensively though. Only 10 assists. Part of that  was shots not falling, especially missing way too many layups and close range shots, but the 1 on 1 play seems to be what Killings offense relies on. The team was 295th in assists last season with 11.7 per game. I'm fine with that style, but more passes open up that opportunity.

Hands were not good tonight either. Seemed like a lot of great passes were going through people's hands. 

UMass may be near the bottom of the A10, but they definitely have talent. The A10 is still a higher league even if it is close to being a 1-bid league these days. We were missing Jackson who is a key piece defensively, and Neely. 

I'll still be positive about the team. At least until I can't anymore.

oAhit1B.png

2 comments on click clacks Pomeroy post/projections 

1) it really is 10 predicted wins vs D1. He doesn't model the non D1 game and assumes 100%. Is that really a safe assumption with this team. Hope so.

2) best chance to get a non conference road win before the last game of 2023 just 31% vs LCC.  That is just sad.

Edited by bob87

Usually I’d be upset when dear friends and their kids drop by a half hour into a UA game. In this case it turned out to be a blessing.  I saw nothing at the beginning or end that made me think things are turning around for the better. Let’s see what game 2 brings. 

• Haha 1

😩

"I think it's a reality check," UAlbany junior guard Sebastian Thomas said. "We're not who we thought we were, so I think we need to get back to the drawing board and focus, practice, prepare better and I think we'll have a better outcome"

"I think it's jitters, new team, a little bit anxious," Thomas said. "We have a problem of coming out slow in practice, and that's something we definitely have to clean up, considering we play a month of road games."

7 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

😩

"I think it's a reality check," UAlbany junior guard Sebastian Thomas said. "We're not who we thought we were, so I think we need to get back to the drawing board and focus, practice, prepare better and I think we'll have a better outcome"

"I think it's jitters, new team, a little bit anxious," Thomas said. "We have a problem of coming out slow in practice, and that's something we definitely have to clean up, considering we play a month of road games."

I like some of this but who did they think they were?

• Thanks 1

They eventually did score 72 points. their problem is they gave up close to 100. Nothing has changed. 354th ranked defense last year, 320th after last night. 

Yeah you are a garbage team if you don't defend. Last night if you just watched, honestly some of the worst defense I've ever seen at any level. 

Did Killings take any accountability after last night? Anyone seen any comments from him?

Edited by Clickclack