UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #12: 11/18/23 - 1:00PM vs Monmouth (Regular Season Finale)

2 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

Does anyone know what the tiebreaker process is for a three way tie at the top?  I know if Delaware and Richmond lose we win because of head to head with Nova. But what if it's Delaware/Nova, Richmond and UA all tied at the top? What is the process? I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

I found this, but it's dated from Spring 2021...https://caasports.com/documents/2020/10/30/CAA_Championship_Tiebreakers_Spring_2021.pdf

Tie‐Breaking Format

1. Head‐to‐head competition. If three‐or‐more teams are involved in a tie and all have played each other, the win‐loss percentage is computed using each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.

2. Win‐loss percentage versus the highest‐placed common opponents and proceeding down. When arriving at another set of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.

3A. Scenario 1 ‐ Best combined ranking among Divisional teams in points scored and points allowed.

3B. Scenario 2 ‐ Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

4A. Scenario 1 ‐ The point differential of the tied teams in all Divisional games. The point differential in individual games are capped at 21 points.   

4B. Scenario 2 ‐ The point differential of the tied teams in all Conference games. The point differential in individual games are capped at 21 points.   

5. Coin flip by the Commissioner.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I found this, but it's dated from Spring 2021...https://caasports.com/documents/2020/10/30/CAA_Championship_Tiebreakers_Spring_2021.pdf

Tie‐Breaking Format

1. Head‐to‐head competition. If three‐or‐more teams are involved in a tie and all have played each other, the win‐loss percentage is computed using each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.

2. Win‐loss percentage versus the highest‐placed common opponents and proceeding down. When arriving at another set of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than individually.

3A. Scenario 1 ‐ Best combined ranking among Divisional teams in points scored and points allowed.

3B. Scenario 2 ‐ Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

4A. Scenario 1 ‐ The point differential of the tied teams in all Divisional games. The point differential in individual games are capped at 21 points.   

4B. Scenario 2 ‐ The point differential of the tied teams in all Conference games. The point differential in individual games are capped at 21 points.   

5. Coin flip by the Commissioner.

Oh jeez, I wouldn't even know where to start.  Hopefully Nova, W&M and UA win next weekend and we won't have to worry about any of it. 

Stan Becton on NCAA.com lays out the CAA scenarios

The CAA automatic bid can be clinched if the following happens in Week 12:

Two-way scenarios

• Delaware wins the auto-bid IF:
    • Delaware def. Villanova
    • AND
      • William & Mary def. Richmond AND Monmouth def. UAlbany
      • OR
      • William & Mary def. Richmond AND UAlbany def. Monmouth
  • Villanova wins the auto-bid IF:
    • Villanova def. Delaware
    • AND
      • OR
      • Richmond def. William & Mary AND Monmouth def. UAlbany
  • UAlbany wins the auto-bid IF:
    • UAlbany def. Monmouth
    • AND
      • Villanova def. Delaware AND William & Mary def. Richmond
  • Richmond wins the auto-bid IF:
    • Richmond def. William & Mary
    • AND
      • Delaware def. Villanova AND Monmouth def. UAlbany

In the event of a three-way tie, the automatic bid will be determined based on point differential in conference games.

So far this year, Delaware is +157 in conference games, Villanova is +119, Albany is +96, and Richmond is +70. Conference-only stats so I think this  means we can't get an autobid from a three-way tie, unless we beat Monmouth by 24 more points than Villanova beats Delaware.

He gives a more detailed breakdown further down here
Edited by UAalum72

10 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Two-way scenarios

• AND
      • OR
    • AND
      • OR
    • UAlbany def. Monmouth
    • AND
    • AND

In the event of a three-way tie, the automatic bid will be determined based on point differential in conference games.

So far this year, Delaware is +157 in conference games, Villanova is +119, Albany is +96, and Richmond is +70. Conference-only stats so I think this  means we can't get an autobid from a three-way tie, unless we beat Monmouth by 24 more points than Villanova beats Delaware.

Above it said point differences in individual games are capped at 21, (obviously to discourag running up scores) so that would rule that tiebreaker out. 

Bottom line is control what you can control (win vs Monmouth) and figure out the rest selection Sunday. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Two-way scenarios

• AND
      • OR
    • AND
      • OR
    • UAlbany def. Monmouth
    • AND
    • AND

Looks like his post is updated removing the incorrect point differentials and instead pasted the screenshot I posted above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanesRGood said:

Looks like his post is updated removing the incorrect point differentials and instead pasted the screenshot I posted above.

The incorrect totals were mine, not thinking about the 21 point max. Thanks for the update, it’s a lot more doable.

7 minutes ago, alum73 said:

Just beat Monmouth.  

By a lot. I’d like that bye week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1