UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #12: 11/18/23 - 1:00PM vs Monmouth (Regular Season Finale)

A truly meaningful late November game in Tom & Mary Casey Stadium, below is the latest NWS forecast and today's Times - Union article:

Today: A chance of showers before 8am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 45. Northwest wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible

UALBANY FOOTBALL

Danes on brink of crown

Seniors can capture share of CAA title by beating Monmouth

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F18&id=Pc0080100&ext=.jpg&ts=20231118072618
Darryl Oumi/Getty Images

UAlbany senior safety Larry Walker Jr., who played on an NCAA playoff team in 2019, can be part of the program’s first CAA championship with a win Saturday over Monmouth.

UALBANY VS. MONMOUTH

When: 1 p.m. Saturday

Where: Casey Stadium, Albany

Radio: WTMM 104.5 FM

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F18&id=Pc0100100&ext=.jpg&ts=20231118072618
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

UAlbany’s No. 1 rushing defense will go against FCS top rusher Jaden Shirden of Monmouth. Danes coach Greg Gattuso said, “It’ll be an interesting battle.”

ALBANY — University at Albany senior safety Larry Walker Jr. started his college career with an NCAA playoff appearance in 2019. He can end it with the program’s first Coastal Athletic Association championship.

In between, there was a pandemic and a lot of losing football. Which makes him appreciate that much more the chance to win a share of the CAA title with a victory in Saturday’s regular-season finale over Monmouth at Casey Stadium. Kickoff is at 1 p.m.

“It means everything to me coming in as a freshman and being a part of UAlbany’s so-called best season here in the CAA,” Walker said. “Then the pandemic happens and… we get to the ’21 and ’22 seasons and have the outcomes that we had. We just came into this year saying we’re going to establish a standard and run with it and that’s what we’ve been doing.”

Walker will be among 15 seniors honored before the game.

Ranked 12th in the media poll and 23rd in the coaches’ poll, the Great Danes (8-3 overall, 6-1 CAA) enter Saturday in a four-way tie for first in the CAA with Delaware, Richmond and Villa-nova. Delaware and Villanova play each other, while Richmond travels to William & Mary.

With a win, UAlbany will earn a share of its first title since joining the CAA in 2013. The Great Danes can also get the league’s automatic bid to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs if Delaware and Richmond both lose. UAlbany could also get the automatic berth in certain three-way tiebreaker scenarios.

While the Great Danes are already in very strong position for an FCS at-large bid, senior linebacker Dylan Kelly said he doesn’t want to leave anything up to the selection committee.

“You’ve got to have that mindset that you’re playing to win and playing to get into the playoffs,” Kelly said. “I think right now we still have to win to get in.”

UAlbany has a shot at a top-eight seed and a first-round bye in the FCS playoffs.

Kelly was on the roster of the 2019 team but didn’t play in any games. This season, he leads the FCS with135 tackles and is eight shy of the UAlbany single-season record of143 tackles set by Ken Schoen in 1974.

Kelly leads a defense that is No. 1 in the FCS against the run, allowing only 79.8 yards per game. The Great Danes will be tested by Monmouth running back Jaden Shirden, who’s first in the nation in rushing with 1,429 yards.

“It’ll be an interesting battle,” UAlbany coach Greg Gattuso said. “You don’t see that very often, where the top rusher goes against the top-rated rushing defense. It’ll be fun.”

Shirden ran for 160 yards and two touchdowns in Monmouth’s 38-31win at home over UAlbany last season.

“I don’t think there’s such a thing as shutting Shirden down,” Gattuso said. “Great players are going to make some great plays. He’s going to have some success. We’ve just got to limit the success and get him on the ground and keep being physical and tackle.”

The Hawks (4-6, 3-4) also present a passing threat. Wide receiver Dymere Miller is second in the FCS with 85 receptions and first with 1,241 yards. In last week’s 31-24 home loss to New Hampshire, Miller had 11 receptions for 333 yards, the second-most in CAA history.

UAlbany can try to cover him with cornerbacks Aamir Hall, who’s tied for third in the nation with 13 passes defended and four interceptions, and Bill Hackett.

“We have faith in our defense and we’re going to play our defense,” Gattuso said.

A UAlbany offense led by quarterback Reese Poffenbarger, who’s tied for second in the FCS with 27 touchdown passes, and freshman running back Griffin Woodell of Glens Falls will attack a Monmouth defense that’s ranked seventh in the CAA in scoring (26.2 points per game).

It they’re successful, the Great Danes will be CAA co-champs after being picked 11th in the preseason coaches’ poll.

“When I see that, it doesn’t faze me at all,” Kelly said. “Just seeing those rankings, they don’t know all the work we put in during the offseason.”

Edited by cwdickens
update

29 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Went to the bag of tricks twice….I like it! But OMG….Wyland is a buffoon. Either that or he needs new glasses. 

Was thinking the same thing about Wyland.  Definitely has gotten better since the late 90's however, he's still more of a fanboy announcer than an announcer.  

His broadcast partner is excellent. 

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Find someone to split it with. Me and @Clickclack split our membership every year lol.

I tried to give my buddy my login and when he logged in, it kicked me off.  Seems only one screen at a time allowed. Also, it's terrible CAA still uses Flo.  I have like 7 alumni friends who want to watch the game. All said, I can't find it on ESPN+. 🙄

As for the game, so far so good.  Take care of business in the second half!

W&M cut the lead to 3 on Richmond.  Nova up 21-7.  I think Delaware lost their QB

EDIT: Delaware lost their QB and backup and a true freshman is in the game so probably won't score more.  Need Richmond to lose or Nova beat Delaware by less than 17 pts.  

Edited by DanesRGood