UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB - Game 24/Conference Game 9 - @ Binghamton University, Dr. Bai Lee Court at The Events Center, Vestal, NY, Thursday, February 8, 2024, 6:07 PM

Is there any update on Sebastian Thomas?  After he was led to locker room, I moved on.

Sadly, after a hopeful pre-season, a reasonable out of conference results, this team has fallen apart from injuries and a player who seems to feed up with the coach's methods and woeful coaching.  

In a pre-season ranking of DI coaching skills, Dwayne Killings was ranked in the bottom 10% of coaches.  He has demonstrated nothing to improve his ranking despite the injuries because no team player has been held accountable for how they play even when the team was heathier. 

This team is...laughable.

Play seemingly good defense, keep a team under 70 points...lose by 12 lol.

Play seemingly insane offense, score 102 points...lose by 12 lol.

What a joke.

• Like 2

Hallelujah, they can't lose Saturday, they are off till next Thursday 😂.  No inside information, but I have a sneaky suspicion that DK is gone after this year.  No way Benson can let him continue after these past three years of ineptitude.  What's his excuse if he keeps him?   "Well GG had years of ineptitude, I kept him, and he delivered the national semis".  Things have to change with MBall and soon.  

4 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Hallelujah, they can't lose Saturday, they are off till next Thursday 😂.  No inside information, but I have a sneaky suspicion that DK is gone after this year.  No way Benson can let him continue after these past three years of ineptitude.  What's his excuse if he keeps him?   "Well GG had years of ineptitude, I kept him, and he delivered the national semis".  Things have to change with MBall and soon.  

$$$$$ is the reason he keeps him.  BK is owned around 800K for the next 2 seasons . UA will not pay that and a new coach.  

Unless of course you have 800K lying around.  My opinion is fire BK and give Jim Whitesell a very modest raise and give me 2 years to turn it around.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

$$$$$ is the reason he keeps him.  BK is owned around 800K for the next 2 seasons . UA will not pay that and a new coach.  

Unless of course you have 800K lying around.  My opinion is fire BK and give Jim Whitesell a very modest raise and give me 2 years to turn it around.  

Even worse- It is DK's 800k; it is the assistants who will need to get partial payouts; it is the new coach; it is the new assistants. 

The only thing, and I do mean the only thing that makes this work (other than a boat of cash from Broadview or alumni) is going to Whitesell and giving him moderate cash, and let him bring on a new staff.

What is super crazy to me (and we don't know what is in the contract unless someone puts out request for it), why there isn't a buyout clause for Killings.  If there is, then I think he is gone.  Too much water under this bridge.  If there isn't, it's a mistake by Benson.  For clarity, Whitesell was owed two years on his contract when he was terminated.  However, there was an unrestricted buyout of 500k.  So, that means Whitesell (if he is not a paid assistant this year) was effectively paid around 100k less than a two year base salary.  Crazy side story, Whitesell's base was only 300k (Killings is in the 372 range), with a 100k extra income guaranteed bonus for a total of 400k in annual income.  Long and short of it, he's not going hungry. 

So, Benson COULD play around with this a bit if he thinks it is over for Killings.  Basically offer Whitesell a 2 year deal to take over, pay him only for one of those years if Whitesell is coaching for free this year.  If he is not coaching for free, sign him for 2 years and give him a very moderate raise.

I truly believe that the ship has sailed on this basketball administration.  I just don't see any growth.  Let's look at the facts- the team has won precisely 2 more D1 games than it did last year.  Yes, there are 7 more to go...however, I only see 2-3 wins as practical.  So, a 4-5 win improvement isn't saying much when you consider: the drama that has surrounded this team; the unknown about it's star local player; the seemingly inability to teach defense; the seemingly inability to give up a playing style when it can't produce winning results; a chaotic offense; no in-game chops; and a marketing slogan that hasn't really put fannies in the seats due to the team's inability to win basketball games.

It's time...and I don't care that Neely was out, the frosh center is out (who know how much of an impact he was going to have), Amica was injured (been a non-factor his whole career, sadly due to injuries); and his star center is out.  The other parts of the team are not great...period.  

The Capital Region was once an amazing place for low/mid-major basketball.  Though separated by 9 miles, collectively Siena and Albany have somehow gone ahead and killed that wonderful aspect of the Region. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Even worse- It is DK's 800k; it is the assistants who will need to get partial payouts; it is the new coach; it is the new assistants. 

The only thing, and I do mean the only thing that makes this work (other than a boat of cash from Broadview or alumni) is going to Whitesell and giving him moderate cash, and let him bring on a new staff.

What is super crazy to me (and we don't know what is in the contract unless someone puts out request for it), why there isn't a buyout clause for Killings.  If there is, then I think he is gone.  Too much water under this bridge.  If there isn't, it's a mistake by Benson.  For clarity, Whitesell was owed two years on his contract when he was terminated.  However, there was an unrestricted buyout of 500k.  So, that means Whitesell (if he is not a paid assistant this year) was effectively paid around 100k less than a two year base salary.  Crazy side story, Whitesell's base was only 300k (Killings is in the 372 range), with a 100k extra income guaranteed bonus for a total of 400k in annual income.  Long and short of it, he's not going hungry. 

So, Benson COULD play around with this a bit if he thinks it is over for Killings.  Basically offer Whitesell a 2 year deal to take over, pay him only for one of those years if Whitesell is coaching for free this year.  If he is not coaching for free, sign him for 2 years and give him a very moderate raise.

I truly believe that the ship has sailed on this basketball administration.  I just don't see any growth.  Let's look at the facts- the team has won precisely 2 more D1 games than it did last year.  Yes, there are 7 more to go...however, I only see 2-3 wins as practical.  So, a 4-5 win improvement isn't saying much when you consider: the drama that has surrounded this team; the unknown about it's star local player; the seemingly inability to teach defense; the seemingly inability to give up a playing style when it can't produce winning results; a chaotic offense; no in-game chops; and a marketing slogan that hasn't really put fannies in the seats due to the team's inability to win basketball games.

It's time...and I don't care that Neely was out, the frosh center is out (who know how much of an impact he was going to have), Amica was injured (been a non-factor his whole career, sadly due to injuries); and his star center is out.  The other parts of the team are not great...period.  

The Capital Region was once an amazing place for low/mid-major basketball.  Though separated by 9 miles, collectively Siena and Albany have somehow gone ahead and killed that wonderful aspect of the Region. 

Great post...open a brand new building and $iena the diaper like this in year 3 is disgusting. Considering the garbage coaching, the drama surrounding DK, zero interest in defense...it's over. $iena-can him if you can figure out the finances. The fact that the only thing keeping DK here is he's owed to much money should tell you all you need to know. Program has been a complete mess under his so called "leadership". It's over! 

4 hours ago, Dane96 said:

2-3 more wins might be optimistic.  I held out some optimism w/ Beagle still in play but these games w/o him have been really tough.  One game give up 114 (and score 102) and the next can't score more than 57 against Binghamton.  I don't know the AE like I used to but I'm assuming every team will eat us up on the interior.  We'll need huge shooting nights to win a game or 2.  

• Like 1