UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2016

I can't imagine why an AD would want to run a very successful coach out of town. Maybe they are negotiating and WB is not in a hurry. It has to hurt a bit to see Pikiell get the kind of bucks he was signed for. Maybe, just maybe WB is thinking 2017 will be a better year in terms of jobs available and he can leverage that into a better deal. I'm all for buyout clauses.

I don't see it either. Why would Benson want to run out a coach that everyone loves and piss off the fanbase? That would make no sense.

Also, if Brown wanted to leave he would've done it after the three straight championships. These coaching jobs are for the hot coaches. If we don't win the championship in the last two years of his contract then he won't get many good offers. It took Pikiel finally winning a championship for him to get that offer. I don't see this as WB wanting to leave after his contract is up. I think this most likely has to do with compensation and contract clauses.

I can't imagine why an AD would want to run a very successful coach out of town. Maybe they are negotiating and WB is not in a hurry. It has to hurt a bit to see Pikiell get the kind of bucks he was signed for. Maybe, just maybe WB is thinking 2017 will be a better year in terms of jobs available and he can leverage that into a better deal. I'm all for buyout clauses.

I don't see it either. Why would Benson want to run out a coach that everyone loves and piss off the fanbase? That would make no sense.

Also, if Brown wanted to leave he would've done it after the three straight championships. These coaching jobs are for the hot coaches. If we don't win the championship in the last two years of his contract then he won't get many good offers. It took Pikiel finally winning a championship for him to get that offer. I don't see this as WB wanting to leave after his contract is up. I think this most likely has to do with compensation and contract clauses.

For better or worse...'everyone loves' is a lot of love.

Edited by Clickclack

Aren't there already fans starting to question it though? I'm certainly wondering. Didn't someone say that there is only a certain amount in raises the SUNY system can give? Extension wise it should be max after every ncaa tournament appearance.

Aren't there already fans starting to question it though? I'm certainly wondering. Didn't someone say that there is only a certain amount in raises the SUNY system can give? Extension wise it should be max after every ncaa tournament appearance.

That was McElroy's approach. Win a championship, get an extension.

• Like 1

Agreed, you dance...you get extended.

Without really knowing I'm starting to think the delay in the extension has to do with the amount of money the school is willing to put into the program, rather than WB himself. Guessing from past issues it involves team travel expenses and those sort of things.

Press release from Xavier Cochran signing, like the quotes from his coach and some of the other schools that were looking at him. This may be "too many" juco guys for some fans but it looks like a really talented group.

http://www.owensexpress.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160427kv5vrr

Press release from Xavier Cochran signing, like the quotes from his coach and some of the other schools that were looking at him. This may be "too many" juco guys for some fans but it looks like a really talented group.

http://www.owensexpress.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160427kv5vrr

Awesome story. Sounds like a great kid and should fit in well.

On the Brown thing... I know it relates to recruiting, but can we move that discussion to the will brown thread and keep this about the players? We all seem to want him back, but the conversation sounds like negotiating for him.

6'6'' 240 lbs...that's some size. Out of Indiana and played at Eastern Arizona College. 2 years eligibility left. Scouts says he got offers from Indiana and Oklahoma St. when he was in HS. Leading scorer for EZC last year 16.3 ppg and 8.6 rpg. 42 blocks as well.

HS video:

Looks like a kid who wants to go to the basket

He looks to be a good prospect. If my count is correct (probably not) and all of the verbals sign, there's only one scholarship left. Still no genuine bigs and still no freshmen.

He looks to be a good prospect. If my count is correct (probably not) and all of the verbals sign, there's only one scholarship left. Still no genuine bigs and still no freshmen.

Correct.

Got another commitment tonight. One more to go. This class is shaping up very well! #Talented

I guess "genuine big" is probably a bit subjective..but it certainly seems that he adds to the frontcourt depth. Likely wouldn't see time at the 5 unless Coach Brown went small..but Stire and Rowley seem fully capable there. And he's listed as a power forward..same height as Travis Charles is and Sam Rowley was. At 240lbs he'd be the biggest on the team with Stire.

With all the commitments so far it looks like the staff has pretty much addressed the team's most pressing needs. Everything else being equal..it would be nice to see an underclassman frontcourt player with the last spot..but I think the team is now in the position to add the best player available..regardless of position.

Edited by Phoenix

Yeah it's subjective. It's really tough at this level to get athletically talented tall guys. I really like the way it's shaping up. You don't have to be tall to be an effective inside player and 6-6 bruisers are great gets.