UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

$275,000

Wyland reports tonight that the base offered by St Bonaventure to Will Brown is $275,000.

States that it will take that plus 25K more for Eric Eaton

Also reports this would make Will the 2nd highest paid coach in the league.

Wolfe is the highest at 300K+

Will is also the 2nd longest tenured in current position behind Wolfe

and we all know the success we have had in his tenure

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wyland reports tonight that the base offered by St Bonaventure to Will Brown is $275,000.

States that it will take that plus 25K more for Eric Eaton

Also reports this would make Will the 2nd highest paid coach in the league.

Wolfe is the highest at 300K+

Will is also the 2nd longest tenured in current position behind Wolfe

and we all know the success we have had in his tenure

Kudos if McElroy comes up with that.

I think Wolff deserves to be the highest paid in the AE - he's had a very good run at the school. Also, the cost of living in Boston is extreme. Wolff's money would equate to less, a lot less, than Brown's $275 in Albany.

Brown's total package would be tickling $300k - he gets $15k from his camp, $6k car allowance, $2k for clothes and his incentives for winning.

Maybe Dr M can come through...but my guess would be that its highly unlikely....too much bureaucracy to overcome in too short a time....if you have listened carefully to him the last couple of days he's been backing off the match concept a little..saying he would need too see what the base comp was first...hope I am wrong but fear Iam not..if it doesnt work out though folks should not in my view be too harsh and lash out at Dr M....I think he is still adjusting to life in the SUNY world where mgmt discretion is pretty limited...I wish all well and hope it turns out well for all in any event.

Most if not all of us have no idea what they can or can't do. But in my ignorant opinion this is to much to ask of Dr. M in such a short period of time. To push through a 100K or even a 75K raise in such a short period of time is asking allot. WOW!!!!! I was hoping for something in the 225K range.

I'm slightly taken aback, even though we've heard similar number all week I didn't think the bidding war would get this high.

Maybe Dr M can come through...but my guess would be that its highly unlikely....too much bureaucracy to overcome in too short a time....if you have listened carefully to him the last couple of days he's been backing off the match concept a little..saying he would need too see what the base comp was first...hope I am wrong but fear Iam not..if it doesnt work out though folks should not in my view be too harsh and lash out at Dr M....I think he is still adjusting to life in the SUNY world where mgmt discretion is pretty limited...I wish all well and hope it turns out well for all in any event.

That's my thought - that's almost another $140K they need to come up with in a short amt of time. If Coach goes it was meant to be that way.

I for one hope he stays but I won't begrudge him if he leaves.

Please clarify for those who did not see Mr. "I always get it wrong" Wyland's report.

Did he say he was TOLD it was going to take 275 plus 25 for Eaton to keep Brown in Albany..or that was his opinion?

Please clarify for those who did not see Mr. "I always get it wrong" Wyland's report.

Did he say he was TOLD it was going to take 275 plus 25 for Eaton to keep Brown in Albany..or that was his opinion?

He said he was told and based on how he said it, something along the lines of

"if Dr M want to keep Will in Albany coaching at the school he loves and the area he loves

it will take $275,000"...it almost sounded to me like he was getting it pretty direct from Will or someone very close...

My guess is that he did not get this one wrong..(but admittedly he's been wrong alot on this as has most in the media..) but..from a

strategic perspective $275 makes sense for the Bonas...they need to lock up a coach bad...and everyone has, for whatever reason kind

of focused on the $225 to $250 range and I think they blew that away to give themselves a real shot at him...my sense from what Wyland said

actually was that the Bonas may have offered more than $275 but $275 will keep him here...

Any chance we'll match????

If we want to be a team that competes in this league every year and rivals the community college over in Loudenville, then I would expect that the salary that our coaches --- irrespective of who the head and assistant coaches are --- make is around that mark or higher; specifically, 2nd highest in the league and more than the Loudenville Community College coach. Why shouldn't it be? UAlbany is an institution that dwarfs LCC in many respects. I know that the salary raise is a big jump, but it appears that there has been inflation in the America East as of late, not just in the players' talent but in the coaches salary as well. Even if Coach Brown decides to leave for reasons that UAlbany is unable to control or affect, I would still hope that we bring in a known coach who commands at least that sort of salary, so it seems logical to pay that kind of salary to the coach who is already here as opposed to having to lure someone in were we to lose Coach Brown.

I still am wrestling with the concept of basketball coaches making this kind of money at any school (whoever the coach is), but I guess I personally rationalize it as a means or cost for the school to obtain good/great advertisement for the school. And, some of these big-time schools bring in a ton of revenue. IMHO, one of the purposes of college athletics is to promote and advertise the school as a whole, and a winning program does a good job of this!

Whether UA has the cash or not for an effective and trumping counter-offer, I have no knowledge of, but if we can effectuate a counter-offer that Coach can't refuse, I hope that such is done. This kind of salary for our head coach, along with the accompanying increase(s) for at least one of our assistant coaches, is the sort of thing that goes hand-in-hand with establishing a big program, wanting to win, and bolstering the schools' athletic and academic reputation. So many people have commented on this Board that they know, or have met, others from all over the country who are now aware of UAlbany. I am not sure what pricetag we could put on that. Moreover, in a couple years, we should be selling out the SEFCU every home game (I hope). I can't tell you how many people I talk to on a weekly basis say "oh yeah, I heard about the basketball team over there; I should get to a game." So that should hopefully bring in a little bit more revenue.

Finally, if we had to get another quality coach to come in, wouldn't it take at least the amount that the Binghamton coach was hired at (205k)? Let's say, hypothetically, that we had to go out and hire another coach at a rate of $235k/year. Is the school going to let a difference of $15,000 to $40,000 (taking into consideration the time value of money and the apparent inflation of America East coaches' salaries) per annum over the course of five years be the difference between keeping Coach and not? I hope not. If so, it would kinda remind me of the Red Sox botching their opportunity to get Alex Rodriguez a few years back. From what I remember, the Red Sox and A-Rod were not that far apart in terms of their asking prices, yet the Yankees timely came into the situation and simply paid the relatively de minimis (for a baseball club at least) difference in asking prices.

And for those who question whether the state should dish out that kind of money for the salary, darn near half of it probably comes back in federal and state taxes anyway. :)

ps-Another thought I had revolves around another potential contract extension that was discussed in one of the media articles. While 275K may be a lot now and 2nd in the conference, will it be in 5 years? I bet not, and it would not startle me to learn that it would not even be the 2nd or 3rd highest salary in the conference in 5 years. A long-term contract at 275K or 250K a year may not be all that bad for UAlbany to dish out, given that this amount stays static over the duration of the contract (or should, absent another "renegotiation").

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

Out of the 3 SUNY University Centers in the AE - Will Brown as of this moment is the lowest paid coach by quite a bit.

Pikiell at the Brook - about 265K base

Broadhus at Bingo - 205K base

Brown - 163K base

Like it or not the UA coach next year will make considerably more than 200K

I hope that coach remains Will Brown

In his blog Singelais quotes Dr McElroy as stating that the Bingo hire "changes the economics of the conference."

BTW - Reggie Witherspoon at UB signed a contract extension last year that paid him about 175K this year

It was reported at the time that this put him in the upper tier of MAC coaches

Out of the 3 SUNY University Centers in the AE - Will Brown as of this moment is the lowest paid coach by quite a bit.

Brown - 163K base

In his blog Singelais quotes Dr McElroy as stating that the Bingo hire "changes the economics of the conference."

BTW - Reggie Witherspoon at UB signed a contract extension last year that paid him about 175K this year

Wow, 265K total package at S.B.; I had no idea. I guess that's partially due to Long Island and its cost of living. Regardless, I think Dr. M. is right, and the salary structure of the America East has just changed, and will continue to change, and I hope UA acts accordingly and gets this done. I would expect UA to come back with an offer of 250K plus the perks/benefits/incentives, etc. I guess what I mean is that 250K is the offer that I'm guessing they come up with. I hope this all comes to a close soon too. Opening Day for baseball is just days away!! :)

Brown - 163K base

Pikel's base is not 265. That is is TOTAL package with incentives.

Wyland's wording was something along the line of ...a New Channel 13 exclusive, News Channel 13 has obtained the dollor figure it will take UAlbany to retain Will Brown at a school and area he loves...275 is the number it will take to keep Brown, not the number the Bonnies offered

Based on the article, if the St. Bona salary is matched then his salary will be the 2nd highest at the University (when you add in any bonuses he will certainly be above 300k).

Also, will be significantly higher than McElroy's salary and higher than Susan Herbst's (again assuming he gets any bonus money).

This is common in BCS conferences and probably frequently occurs in the top mid majors.

This will be a pretty big paradigm shift for the University.

The other way to look at it is that they will probably pay over $200k for a new coach anyway so what's really in question is about $75k - sounds like one extra guarantee game to me.

Archived