UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

Farley was on channel 13 news praising himself for getting Albany the Business School - that was his priority.

There are more piles of dirt by the new lacrosse seating; today they were unloading a truckload of electrical conduit next to a trench behind the north end of the field.

Hard to get a good look at the purple path, but it seems to be taking a long time for what's basically a half mile of sidewalk with street lights.

It looks like there's a new, higher screen behind center field of the baseball park, but if it's there to protect cars driving by they'll have to extend it all the way to the right field foul pole.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's official:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...wsdate=4/9/2008

"It is dead in the water," Kevin Frazier said as legislators wrapped up the $121.7 billion budget. "I can say that with all confidence. It's not going to happen this year."

The Senate and the governor denied the Assembly's request for $36.5 million to build a 10,000- to 15,000-seat stadium on the UAlbany campus.

"Our message is we needed a partner to get this done," Frazier said. "We just didn't get it done on this one."

He said there are no post-budget options to get UAlbany the funding this year.

For those of us not able to see past the political talk....what does...."we need a partner to get this done" mean? Are they talking about corporate support?

MsGDG can probably shed more light, but to me it sounds like Canestari needed a partner in the Senate to get it done. It seems like it was a one-man battle. Whether or not that's true or not I don't know.

You are correct, it does seem as if he meant a partner in the Senate. In order for anything to become law in NYS you need someone from both the senate and assembly to sponsor it. And in regards to the budget, the same idea applies. If Canestrari had someone on the Senate side pushing for it then the Senate would see the importance of it. But if Canestrari didn't have anyone in the Senate who cared, he would be just one voice from the other house trying to get a line in the budget. So really UA needs to get their Senator in on this.

I believe UA is in Senator Neil Breslin's ( http://www.nyssenate46.com/ ) district. The issue is that he is a minority member. Obviously Bruno could be alot of help, but I don't know his relationship with UA, or if there really is one. If the school does continue to ask for funding for the next budget who ever is the lobbyist for UA needs to ask Canestrari's office who they should reach out to as a partner on this from the Senate, so that they know who to put the pressure on or who might be willing to help. Are there any UA alumni senators currently in office? Not sure, but that could also be a route. Also even though Canestrari is the Majority Leader and can help a lot, it always helps if other legislators who might care to be educated about the needs for UA. That includes the current legislators who are alumni. If they can voice their support than that allows Canestrari and whatever Senator to have an edge saying that they aren't alone in the fight.

Also alumni who support things that are in the legislature, budget or regular pieces of legislation should contact Canestrari, Breslin and McEneny (who is UA's actual Assemblymember) by mail and phone calls periodically to let them know of your support. Its the job of constituents to push for things and inform their legislators. Trust me, many constituents have voiced their concern or support on issues and have made a difference. It doesn't take long to write a letter of support or opposition, and it can be worth it.

On a side note Canestrari actually does read the letters personally, which even shocked me lol. So he will see it.

Edit to add that I just saw this online which is easier to read than the budget bill:

State University of New York Strategic Initiative Capital Projects Schedules

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/comm/WAM/2...y/2008suny.html

I like the school of business building...only problem is now more visitor parking is being taken away...parking is becoming a big issue on campus. However, i think the school of business building is needed because it is such a major part of the university and recognized so much in relation to the university. At the same time, a new building can allow for more offices and classroom opening on the podium business building.

the campus center i think is very outdated. i think it should be interesting how the campus center turns out. with the money given and it being the top 2 priorities on capital projects, it isn't going to be just remodeling...i think we are taking a major overhaul

what makes me mad about the stadium or athletics is that the state couldn't even give $5-$10 million to help do something. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't get the full $36.5 million, but at least give something!

It's official:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...wsdate=4/9/2008

"It is dead in the water," Kevin Frazier said as legislators wrapped up the $121.7 billion budget. "I can say that with all confidence. It's not going to happen this year."

The Senate and the governor denied the Assembly's request for $36.5 million to build a 10,000- to 15,000-seat stadium on the UAlbany campus.

"Our message is we needed a partner to get this done," Frazier said. "We just didn't get it done on this one."

He said there are no post-budget options to get UAlbany the funding this year.

For those of us not able to see past the political talk....what does...."we need a partner to get this done" mean? Are they talking about corporate support?

MsGDG can probably shed more light, but to me it sounds like Canestari needed a partner in the Senate to get it done. It seems like it was a one-man battle. Whether or not that's true or not I don't know.

You are correct, it does seem as if he meant a partner in the Senate. In order for anything to become law in NYS you need someone from both the senate and assembly to sponsor it. And in regards to the budget, the same idea applies. If Canestrari had someone on the Senate side pushing for it then the Senate would see the importance of it. But if Canestrari didn't have anyone in the Senate who cared, he would be just one voice from the other house trying to get a line in the budget. So really UA needs to get their Senator in on this.

I believe UA is in Senator Neil Breslin's ( http://www.nyssenate46.com/ ) district. The issue is that he is a minority member. Obviously Bruno could be alot of help, but I don't know his relationship with UA, or if there really is one. If the school does continue to ask for funding for the next budget who ever is the lobbyist for UA needs to ask Canestrari's office who they should reach out to as a partner on this from the Senate, so that they know who to put the pressure on or who might be willing to help. Are there any UA alumni senators currently in office? Not sure, but that could also be a route. Also even though Canestrari is the Majority Leader and can help a lot, it always helps if other legislators who might care to be educated about the needs for UA. That includes the current legislators who are alumni. If they can voice their support than that allows Canestrari and whatever Senator to have an edge saying that they aren't alone in the fight.

Also alumni who support things that are in the legislature, budget or regular pieces of legislation should contact Canestrari, Breslin and McEneny (who is UA's actual Assemblymember) by mail and phone calls periodically to let them know of your support. Its the job of constituents to push for things and inform their legislators. Trust me, many constituents have voiced their concern or support on issues and have made a difference. It doesn't take long to write a letter of support or opposition, and it can be worth it.

On a side note Canestrari actually does read the letters personally, which even shocked me lol. So he will see it.

Edit to add that I just saw this online which is easier to read than the budget bill:

State University of New York Strategic Initiative Capital Projects Schedules

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/comm/WAM/2...y/2008suny.html

Wow! Stony Brook made out like bandits. $148M to our $89M. Are you kidding me?

What's with D3 Genesso getting $16M for a stadium expansion? UA needs to get their act together. I hope this is a learning experience and we do better next time. We are a UNIVERSITY CENTER. We should get funding on par with UB and SBU for god sakes.

What's with D3 Genesso getting $16M for a stadium expansion? UA needs to get their act together. I hope this is a learning experience and we do better next time. We are a UNIVERSITY CENTER. We should get funding on par with UB and SBU for god sakes.

UA got their #1 and #2 requests, so they might feel they did have their act together.

Again, just because you wanted the Stadium and not the business bldg doesn't mean there are not other people who don't want the stadium and did want the business bldg. Things need to be looked at from all sides.

And as for Geneseo getting a $16M for stadium they didn't get much else, their stadium might have been their #1 request, unlike ours being #3.

As for the university center, Binghamton is also a university center and they only got $24M in total. So basing it on the university center doesn't make sense.

I don't remember but how much did UA got when we first got the NANO Tech funding.. I am sure ALOT more that year or two than any of the other schools.I could be wrong, but would make sense that some years when there are huge projects, some schools are going to get a lot more than others.

UA got their #1 and #2 requests, so they might feel they did have their act together.

Again, just because you wanted the Stadium and not the business bldg doesn't mean there are not other people who don't want the stadium and did want the business bldg. Things need to be looked at from all sides.

And as for Geneseo getting a $16M for stadium they didn't get much else, their stadium might have been their #1 request, unlike ours being #3.

As for the university center, Binghamton is also a university center and they only got $24M in total. So basing it on the university center doesn't make sense.

I don't remember but how much did UA got when we first got the NANO Tech funding.. I am sure ALOT more that year or two than any of the other schools.I could be wrong, but would make sense that some years when there are huge projects, some schools are going to get a lot more than others.

There are many on this board that know exactly who Breslin, Farley, McEneny, Canestrari, Bruno, etc... are, and who/what they represent in the State of New York.

There are many on this board that have been voicing their views and opinions regarding a stadium to these very people for the past few years, really standing up for the University and UAlbany athletics.

It may not be the priority for many State representatives or even constituents, but those on this board know that it should be a priority for everyone in the State, including State officials and local residents.

I'm not sure if you have been following this board for a while, or if you recently came across it..... but there have been many viewpoints on this board that answer precisely why a Stadium for the University of Albany would be immensely beneficial to:

The University of Albany

the City of Albany

the Greater Capital Region

SUNY System

The State of New York

(we can break down all of the reasons why each of the above would greatly benefit by a multipurpose stadium if needed)

It would make a huge difference, period. And without a stadium, it makes a huge negative impact.

From 60million, down to 35 million, down to absolutely nothing. That is a disgrace to leave a University like the University of Albany, a Division I school, without funding and with a football field that resembles a POP WARNER field. It is a disgrace to leave the University without funding and a baseball field and softball field resembling a little league field.

As you well know, there must be total idiots and manipulators working in our state government. To forsake the University that has the hottest and fastest growing Athletic Program in the State system, possibly in the State and Country, is just a miserable blunder of stupidity. We have had all of this success in only 7-8 years in Division I competition.

The State of New York seems to do everything backassward... Who the hell would name their State University Centers like University at Albany? at? And seemingly, it doesn't make sense to have the FLAGSHIP of the state in the state capital. But, it makes sense to fund other centers twice as much... pouring millions of dollars for additions and renovations to centers who already have stadiums and arenas, some of which are only a few years old.

This issue is dead. It's a rosey scenerio to talk as if now is the time to lobby, for next year. The lobbying has been going on, and the bloodsuckers have siphoned all of the SUNY athletic funding away from Albany. Lots of good the lobbying has done.

Now is the time to act. We need to act in the form of upgrading University field NOW. We need the field to resemble a football stadium, even if it is not exactly how we envisioned things would be at this point. If funds are passed next year, and that's a really big if, then we wouldn't have a brand new 10k-15k seat stadium until 2011 or 2012.

My friends, that's way too far away. We need to upgrade University Field NOW. We can even make our football facility look much better than any other school in SUNY, just doing it in a different way.

check out the other thread.

Are there any UA alumni senators currently in office? Not sure, but that could also be a route.

I slogged thru the Senate biographies - Farley is the only one with a bachelor's from Albany. Majority are private colleges. I saw one from Buffalo, none from Stony Brook or Bing. Three from Brockport, one Fredonia.

One senator, though with bachelors from Adelphi and an Education degree from New Paltz, received in 1986 the Medallion of the University, our highest honor, from SUNY-Albany --- Ken LaValle. Maybe we should ask for it back.

(LaValle also got a University Medallion from Stony Brook in 1987)

from this mornings TU article:

UAlbany athletic director Lee McElroy didn't return a call to his office. A UAlbany spokesman said McElroy would comment this morning.

if or when anything is reported, would someone be able to post it? I honestly think Dr. Mcelroy needs to be looking at a plan-b now, and a bleacher idea sounds pretty good right now.

It looks like Ron Canestrari was the only local legislator to lobby on behalf of the stadium. baffled as to why Stony Brook gets the $$ to improve their facility--and UA can't even get the funds to build one. ?????? Somehing wrong with the way the pork is doled out. That's how HVCC got Joe Bruno Stadium.

There are many on this board that know exactly who Breslin, Farley, McEneny, Canestrari, Bruno, etc... are, and who/what they represent in the State of New York.

There are many on this board that have been voicing their views and opinions regarding a stadium to these very people for the past few years, really standing up for the University and UAlbany athletics.

It may not be the priority for many State representatives or even constituents, but those on this board know that it should be a priority for everyone in the State, including State officials and local residents.

I'm not sure if you have been following this board for a while, or if you recently came across it..... but there have been many viewpoints on this board that answer precisely why a Stadium for the University of Albany would be immensely beneficial to:

The University of Albany

the City of Albany

the Greater Capital Region

SUNY System

The State of New York

(we can break down all of the reasons why each of the above would greatly benefit by a multipurpose stadium if needed)

It would make a huge difference, period. And without a stadium, it makes a huge negative impact.

From 60million, down to 35 million, down to absolutely nothing. That is a disgrace to leave a University like the University of Albany, a Division I school, without funding and with a football field that resembles a POP WARNER field. It is a disgrace to leave the University without funding and a baseball field and softball field resembling a little league field.

As you well know, there must be total idiots and manipulators working in our state government. To forsake the University that has the hottest and fastest growing Athletic Program in the State system, possibly in the State and Country, is just a miserable blunder of stupidity. We have had all of this success in only 7-8 years in Division I competition.

The State of New York seems to do everything backassward... Who the hell would name their State University Centers like University at Albany? at? And seemingly, it doesn't make sense to have the FLAGSHIP of the state in the state capital. But, it makes sense to fund other centers twice as much... pouring millions of dollars for additions and renovations to centers who already have stadiums and arenas, some of which are only a few years old.

This issue is dead. It's a rosey scenerio to talk as if now is the time to lobby, for next year. The lobbying has been going on, and the bloodsuckers have siphoned all of the SUNY athletic funding away from Albany. Lots of good the lobbying has done.

Now is the time to act. We need to act in the form of upgrading University field NOW. We need the field to resemble a football stadium, even if it is not exactly how we envisioned things would be at this point. If funds are passed next year, and that's a really big if, then we wouldn't have a brand new 10k-15k seat stadium until 2011 or 2012.

My friends, that's way too far away. We need to upgrade University Field NOW. We can even make our football facility look much better than any other school in SUNY, just doing it in a different way.

check out the other thread.

Don't know when I ever said people on this board didn't know anything, might be your interpretation but that is your issue. I posted info when people asked about it. And this board is a tiny portion of all UA Alumni and when I was stating information it was general. And I understand that a stadium would be beneficial to the entire state, but I believe all SUNYs would say the exact same thing about their projects, I try to look at it from a larger perspective knowing that UA is not the only school that wants money from the state.

I wrote a letter to Joe Bruno expressing my dissatisfaction at UA getting shafted while other SUNY campuses received athletics funding *this year*, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Of course it wont do anything to change the situation, but if he hears from more of us then maybe he'll be quicker to partner with the university on these initiatives. I mean, the guy is one of the most powerful persons in state government, lives in the Capital Region, and we cant even get his support on seemingly much of anything (flagship status, athletics, etc). Give me a break!

From today's TU article.

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php...amp;#entry33291

Academics took priority over athletics in the new state budget, as UAlbany received a combined $89 million for a new business and campus center.

Canestrari acknowledged stadium funding was a tough sell politically with the country in an economic recession.

"That's a factor, definitely," he said. "If we were flush with money, maybe something could have been done. But it was a scramble, and in tough economic times, that makes it a more difficult lift."

UAlbany athletic director Lee McElroy didn't return a call to his office. A UAlbany spokesman said McElroy would comment this morning.

Canestrari said there are no other post-budget options for UAlbany to receive the money this year.

"I don't see it," he said. "You're not talking chump change here. Once the capital budget for SUNY and CUNY is completed, it's very difficult to revisit it with this kind of money."

This decade, other SUNY institutions have built athletic facilities with state money. Stony Brook opened a $22 million football stadium in 2002 and Binghamton opened a $33.1 million basketball venue in 2004.

Former Stony Brook athletic director Dick Laskowski recalled his school got its state funding on its first try with the Legislature, but that was in a better economy than today's with more money for capital projects.

"It's hard to justify to the faculty building a football stadium and not taking care of the academic side," Laskowski said. "Maybe it's best for public perception to put it off for a year."

I have a HUGE PROBLEM WITH THIS ARTICLE. Mark - I know you read this board. Please read this.

Why hasn't the TU stepped up and promoted this?

Why haven't you specifically Mark, endorsed the stadium?

Why don't you point out that STONY BROOK GOT $16 million to upgrade its athletic facilities THIS YEAR!?

Not when the economy was better. THIS YEAR!

I wrote a letter to Joe Bruno expressing my dissatisfaction at UA getting shafted while other SUNY campuses received athletics funding *this year*, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Of course it wont do anything to change the situation, but if he hears from more of us then maybe he'll be quicker to partner with the university on these initiatives. I mean, the guy is one of the most powerful persons in state government, lives in the Capital Region, and we cant even get his support on seemingly much of anything (flagship status, athletics, etc). Give me a break!

Uncle Joe got that nice new Baseball Stadium (with his name on it) for HVCC, didn't he??? Talk about Pork--why did HVCC need a baseball stadium???? oh yeah,---- they needed it to bring minor league baseball to troy.

If Bruno wanted UAlbany to have the Football Stadium bad enough---it would have been done. Farley being an alumnus, could have done more.

Archived