UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiore has secured $30 million from New York State for athletic facility renovations to the Stony Brook University Basketball Arena, Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium and various other athletic facilities. In December 2003, Stony Brook retained HOK, the premier sports architectural firm in the nation, to formulate and develop a master plan for the future of Stony Brook athletic facilities. The blueprint has already begun to take hold: the baseball/softball complex received a facelift with the addition of new bleachers and press boxes, the strength and conditioning facility was renovated and expanded, the Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium is going to have a $6 million expansion that will include increasing seating by 2,000 and new Club and V.I.P. seating. Additionally a $20 million renovation of the Stony Brook University Basketball arena will commence in Spring 2008 as well as a $1.2 million renovation to the Pritchard Gymnasium complex. The football, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse and visiting team locker rooms in LaValle Stadium were recently redesigned and enhanced for $1,000,000.

Yet our fans sit on wooden bleachers a half mile from the field.

Tell me what happened to allow this disparity?

SICKENING!!!!!!!

TU updated(4:44pm) the article posted by danefan:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...wsdate=4/9/2008

He said lawmakers decided instead to give UAlbany $89 million for a new business center and campus center.

"We understand the benefits (of a football stadium) but weren't able to do so," Frazier said. "We hope to get it done down the road."

He said there are no post-budget options to get UAlbany the funding this year.

It's official:

"It is dead in the water," Kevin Frazier said as legislators wrapped up the $121.7 billion budget. "I can say that with all confidence. It's not going to happen this year."

The Senate and the governor denied the Assembly's request for $36.5 million to build a 10,000- to 15,000-seat stadium on the UAlbany campus.

"Our message is we needed a partner to get this done," Frazier said. "We just didn't get it done on this one."

For those of us not able to see past the political talk....what does...."we need a partner to get this done" mean? Are they talking about corporate support?

It's official:

"It is dead in the water," Kevin Frazier said as legislators wrapped up the $121.7 billion budget. "I can say that with all confidence. It's not going to happen this year."

The Senate and the governor denied the Assembly's request for $36.5 million to build a 10,000- to 15,000-seat stadium on the UAlbany campus.

"Our message is we needed a partner to get this done," Frazier said. "We just didn't get it done on this one."

For those of us not able to see past the political talk....what does...."we need a partner to get this done" mean? Are they talking about corporate support?

MsGDG can probably shed more light, but to me it sounds like Canestari needed a partner in the Senate to get it done. It seems like it was a one-man battle. Whether or not that's true or not I don't know.

just sickening...especially the money stony brook is getting...couldn't give even some money...just pathetic

What did we do to be slighted by SUNY and what do we do to change it?

What can we do to out-Stony Brook Stony Brook? Or should we just give up and go private since SUNY will do nothing for us? :angry2:

WE MUST BEAT STONY BROOK AT EVERYTHING NEXT YEAR!!!

There is just no legislator up here who has the power and ability of Ken LaValle!!!!!!!!!!

Our reps are just inflated dolls with "Mickey Mouse" backgrounds, LaValle plays them like a cheap guitar, Phil Rizzuto came up with the term "Huckleberry" when he first met the legislators from the capital region.

"We understand the benefits (of a football stadium) but weren't able to do so," Frazier said.

That is a crock of Sh*t. They could have easily done it. Keep bastardizing the school that sits a mile away from the capital building.

"We understand the benefits (of a football stadium) but weren't able to do so," Frazier said.

That is a crock of Sh*t. They could have easily done it. Keep bastardizing the school that sits a mile away from the capital building.

That's because Albany doesn't matter to most of the politicians out there. Besides, they rarely make it to that part of town.

I wish Ken Lavalle would be forced to move up here. We need one of him.

We got our first 2 priorities funded. Unfortunately our #3 was quite a large amount. It's not totally a mystery. Stony Brook and Albany set their own priorities. I am assuming the stadium becomes the number 1 priority next year, which might mean even more $ allocated to it, so we move on and work for next year.

when does the campus center construction plan to begin...anyone know of designs etc. for it?

at the same time, I hope the school of business building is not put on the great lawn in Colin Circle. That need to stay the same, and take away I think for the Washington Ave view of the new entrance

We got our first 2 priorities funded. Unfortunately our #3 was quite a large amount. It's not totally a mystery. Stony Brook and Albany set their own priorities. I am assuming the stadium becomes the number 1 priority next year, which might mean even more $ allocated to it, so we move on and work for next year.

Next year they should make a list of the Top 15 priorities and hope the Top 14 get funded.

can someone do me a favor next time they are on campus...can i get a new updates pictures of the purple path and the entrance...i would think nothing has really started with the lacrosse field.

when does the campus center construction plan to begin...anyone know of designs etc. for it?

at the same time, I hope the school of business building is not put on the great lawn in Colin Circle. That need to stay the same, and take away I think for the Washington Ave view of the new entrance

Two things.

First let me answer your question, Dean Leonard told me at UAlbany Day that the new business building would be constructed across from the admissions building. It would be where the small parking lot/bus stop is. This plan should not interfere with Collins Circle. That's what he told me but of course plans may not be drawn up so take it with a grain of salt. Things change.

We could use a new business building but does anyone else see this as a "maintenance" project as opposed to what other campuses received? UAlbany isn't adding anything per se. We have a business program, I should know I graduated from it. Binghamton and Stony Brook are ADDING a law school. That's an enhancement or addition to their existing offerings. A law school will only add to their ability to lobby for more money in the future. We also already have a campus center. Sure it's nice to have the campus center redone but my point is we aren't adding a new college or program here. We aren't adding anything. We're fixing stuff. Now we're the only university center without a law school?

I don't like the direction we're going. We're falling behind.

Second, I agree with other posters. If I were told it was a bad economy and no athletic construction was being financed than I would understand. That is not the case. Many campuses are getting athletic construction funds. We may say we're a flagship or university center but I think we're the only ones that believe it. The funding speaks for itself. Ken LaValle looks after Stony Brook. We have no equivalent here.

Archived