UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany vs. Sacred Heart (12.19.2008)

Men's Basketball Looks to Leash Albany Great Danes Friday Night

Pioneers look for fourth win of the season

Dec. 17, 2008

FAIRFIELD, CT - Setting The Scene: The Sacred Heart men's basketball team looks to get back on the winning track Friday night when it completes a five-game homestand by welcoming the Great Danes of Albany to the Pitt Center. The Pioneers are coming off a 59-55 loss to Hartford on Sunday.

Series: Sacred Heart leads the all-time series between these two schools, 8-5. Albany won last season's meeting, however, 75-57 in NY. SHU won the previous two meetings, including a 90-71 decision in Fairfield in 2006. The first-ever meeting was during the 1995-96 season, an 80-78 SHU victory.

Sacred Heart vs. America East: Sacred Heart is 32-28 all-time against schools currently in America East. The Pioneers have faced Albany (8-5), Binghamton (1-1), Hartford (9-6), Maine (0-3), Stony Brook (12-4), UMBC (2-7) and Vermont (0-2). SHU has never faced New Hampshire.

Scouting the Opponent: The Great Danes are 6-4 and coming off a 74-46 drubbing of Canisius on Saturday. Albany has already defeated NEC for Central Connecticut, 68-67, and have two wins over future NEC member Bryant.

The Great Danes, who finished in the upper echelon of the America East Conference for the third consecutive year, will field a very youthful team this season. Although three starters return, there are eight new faces on the roster. UAlbany was picked sixth in the conference preseason coaches' poll. Brian Connelly is the top returning scorer (10.1 ppg) and rebounder (5.3 pg). They also have a transfer from Virginia in Will Harris, who is averaging 10.6 points per game so far this season.

Home Cooking: The Pioneers have been very good at home over the last three+ seasons, going 32-13 over that span. 2006-07 was the best Division I season at home for the program, finishing the year 11-2 enroute to its first trip to the NEC title game.

The Turkish Terror: Sophomore Mehmet Sahan had the best game of his young career on December 4 against The Mount. He finished the game with a career-high 14 points and tied his career high with six rebounds. He had three assists, one block and two steals, as well as playing tenacious defense. He set a new career high on December 14 when he collected eight rebounds against Hartford.

http://sacredheartpioneers.cstv.com/sports.../121708aaa.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I fear this team. No matter what the respective records are, this team often embarrasses UA. I saw the 2006 game, and it was bad news.

That's a little extreme don't you think? You FEAR this team? Will it be a hard fought road game - yes. Does the history of this series have any relevance - no. Take it for what it is...another OOC game on the road we hope the Danes pull out. I understand the history of the series, but are we really at the point where we should fear them?...I would say no.

This will actually be the first time I see the team live. Tried to get to the Columbia game, but got delayed and stuck in traffic. Maybe I'll catch some of you guys at the game. The weather could cause some problems though for people traveling.

I fear this team. No matter what the respective records are, this team often embarrasses UA. I saw the 2006 game, and it was bad news.

That's a little extreme don't you think? You FEAR this team? Will it be a hard fought road game - yes. Does the history of this series have any relevance - no. Take it for what it is...another OOC game on the road we hope the Danes pull out. I understand the history of the series, but are we really at the point where we should fear them?...I would say no.

This will actually be the first time I see the team live. Tried to get to the Columbia game, but got delayed and stuck in traffic. Maybe I'll catch some of you guys at the game. The weather could cause some problems though for people traveling.

I will be there if the weather isn't too bad.

Maybe I didn't phrase my perception very well, but I do think the history of the series is relevant.

Just as I think UA has done well against UVM in recent seasons - though I think UVM has had the edge, I think that Sacred Heart knows how to prepare well against UA most years. It may be a matter that SHU coaches know how to combat Will Brown's strategies more effectively than other coaches - even though UA should be better, but I have personally witnessed the damage that SHU can do to UA.

Two years ago Coach Brown was all over his team because SHU was able to light it up very effectively from 3-point land, and this year's team has not been very effective in the early going defending against the three. I would be very wary of this team in a game that UA's talent should win easily. No, you're right, it's not a conference game, but losing to this team could well shake the confidence of UA going into AE play shortly.

Good Luck...seriously-- the weather is going to be AWFUL in New England. We expect an inch an hour starting at 1pm; I am not even bothering to drive into work....telecommuting instead. It took me 3 hours to go 15 miles tonight because people jammed the roads to stock up on supplies.

Personally, I think those people are cuckoo-- we live in New England and Upstate NY...we deal with weather.

Good Luck...seriously-- the weather is going to be AWFUL in New England. We expect an inch an hour starting at 1pm; I am not even bothering to drive into work....telecommuting instead. It took me 3 hours to go 15 miles tonight because people jammed the roads to stock up on supplies.

Personally, I think those people are cuckoo-- we live in New England and Upstate NY...we deal with weather.

I'm going to see what happens with the weather this afternoon and evening but it's not looking good. It's mostly backroads from here to Sacred Heart so it might be even tougher.

I also find the "stocking up" for the storm funny. It's not like the storm is going to last a week. By tomorrow morning you will be able to go to the store and buy whateve you need.

It is funny, 40 years I've lived in upstate NY, including 20 inside the Adirondack Park. The longest I've been shut in is about 24 hours. That was in Albany and the Price Chopper was within walking distance. Food was not a problem, but we did run out of beverages (poor planning). My buddy and I walked in. Funny site. About 10 people in the store, nine in the beer aisle.

Archived