UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Binghamton @ UA

Regarding the shuttle, to quote John Feinstein: "A Good Walk Spoiled."

Not to cause an uproar or anything, but wasn't that Mark Twain?

"I have never let my schooling get in the way of my education." You're correct. Feinstein plagiarized.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we have anything clever for Broadus....some signs or something.

To my knowledge, a sign is in the works to be displayed by the few students which will be in attendance in the student section...

I'm sure there will be a few interesting signs touching on various topics, but of course no one can hit alllll the topics haha. Hopefully there will be enough students there...

BTW, obviously anyone that is here at the forum is a big fan of UA and shouldn't just leave the creativity up to the students. As alumni take it upon yourselves to do a sign here or there for a game or two. Students don't need to be the only ones having the all the fun and being creative. ;)

I don't know about the cold keeping people at home but I'll walk from Colonie for this one...

Broadus = Hoodlum

Hoodlum" by Mobb Deep

Never thought I'd see a reference to Mobb Deep on here. I just spent a half hour watching old Mobb Deep videos on youtube. Ah, the good ole' days ... .

Found this article on St. Joseph's (A-10) website discussing DJ Rivera, the newphew of the late Hank Gathers, when DJ was enrolled there:

Derrick "DJ" Rivera: SJU's hottest

By: Leo Strupczewski '06

Posted: 1/27/06

The shirt is simple. All black, a screen-printed picture, a short quote.

Really, it wouldn't be noteworthy if you didn't know who is wearing it and why he's wearing it.

It wouldn't be noteworthy except on a team of superstars that dresses the same in warm-ups, Derrick Rivera is the only one who doesn't wear the team-issued shooting shirt.

Rivera is a 6'2'' senior wing guard from Saints Neumann-Goretti in South Philadelphia. He's a member of one of the most heralded recruiting classes in the history of the Saint Joseph's University Men's Basketball program. He is the nephew of Hank Gathers, a basketball star at Loyola-Marymount who collapsed on the court in 1990.

The link would be special regardless. A high school basketball star from a big city primed to make it on the national scene. An uncle who did the same thing from the other side of the city.

But the parallels are striking.

If you watch Rivera you'll figure that out.

His uncle could score. Gathers averaged 32 points a game his junior year at Loyola-Marymount. Rivera is averaging 17.5 points a game on a team that starts five players with major Division I talent.

But it's not about how much they score, it's how they score. Rivera doesn't jump when he dunks. He leaps.

So did his uncle- which makes that black tee shirt all the more meaningful. It's a picture of Gathers, mid-dunk, with the words "Unfinished Business."

To wear the shirt, Rivera has to produce. It's a personal challenge.

"I feel as though my uncle left off somewhere that I have to pick up," Rivera said.

Now, just wearing the shirt in warm-ups isn't enough. He changed his number to his uncle's- 44. It was something he wanted to do at the beginning of the year, but Neumann-Goretti didn't have it available.

So, Neumann-Goretti head coach Carl Arringale got it made.

It took awhile, but when Rivera took the floor last Wednesday night at the Palestra against Episcopal Academy, he had it.

The jersey came in a few weeks before, and Rivera started wearing it right away. But this was the biggest crowd at the biggest stage in Philadelphia on the nation's biggest sports Television station.

The game wasn't about Rivera's offense. He struggled. It was about locking up Episcopal's top scorer-Wayne Ellington. He did.

At the end, he was tired. He stayed with Ellington all night, even though Arringale said he knew it would make Rivera's offense sputter.

But when it mattered, Rivera made the play. Down the entire game, Neumann-Goretti battled back from a 13-point halftime deficit.

With 20 seconds left and down one, Rivera got the ball along the baseline. The tiredness went away. Whatever his defensive responsibility was went away.

All that mattered was him and the basket. Get there and score.

He did.

But why drive the baseline and take a tough shot when you've shot 2-11 up until that point? Why throw yourself out there and be the fall guy?

"He's just a hardworking kid with a great deal of intensity," said Arringale. "He plays different than a lot of people."

He plays the same way as his uncle- Fall down, pick yourself up.

"I know I wanted the ball in my hands," he said. "If they gave me that chance, I was going to get it. I was going to score."

http://www.sjuhawknews.com/home/index.cfm?...4a-37a076bcde0b

Player Bio at Binghamton:

http://www.bubearcats.com/sports/mbask/rivera.html

Raffa is going to have is way with Mayben tonight. I think hot shooting continues tonight and Harris will be to much of a force for Bing. Huge Game tonight for the Danes they have all the momentum after beating BU and Vermont. Hopefully SEFCU is packed tonight I will be in attendance going wild for the Great Danes.

Broadus is a SHOOK ONE!!! Scared to Death (of Brown) Scared to look (at Brown) aint no such thing as half way Crooks. Take it to'em tonight Coach Brown!!

Raffa is going to have is way with Mayben tonight. I think hot shooting continues tonight and Harris will be to much of a force for Bing. Huge Game tonight for the Danes they have all the momentum after beating BU and Vermont. Hopefully SEFCU is packed tonight I will be in attendance going wild for the Great Danes.

Broadus is a SHOOK ONE!!! Scared to Death (of Brown) Scared to look (at Brown) aint no such thing as half way Crooks. Take it to'em tonight Coach Brown!!

Broadus is a HOODLUM!

Broadus is a HOODLUM!

Broadus' anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC5kb5kFbPk

To my knowledge, a sign is in the works to be displayed by the few students which will be in attendance in the student section...

I'm sure there will be a few interesting signs touching on various topics, but of course no one can hit alllll the topics haha. Hopefully there will be enough students there...

BTW, obviously anyone that is here at the forum is a big fan of UA and shouldn't just leave the creativity up to the students. As alumni take it upon yourselves to do a sign here or there for a game or two. Students don't need to be the only ones having the all the fun and being creative. ;)

The possibilities are endless with Malik Alvin and Theo Davis.

Alvin- magnums

Davis- shrooms

Mayben- academics

Rivera- academics

There's an interesting blog entry about this series with Bing being a rivalry. BC says that it is while Coach Brown says there haven't been enough meaningful games played between the two. Including tonight they've played for first place in the regular season twice but no conference championship games or even semi-finals.

If it's not a rivalry now it may very well be one in the next year or so.

The possibilities are endless with Malik Alvin and Theo Davis.

Alvin- magnums

Davis- shrooms

Mayben- academics

Rivera- academics

Broadus- Hoodlum

Archived