UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

So, that $iena fan Singelais decided it would be fun to contact former UA players who have transferred out and write a story on how UA has a transfer issue

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...gory=UALBANYMEN

Absolute garbage

Someone please post today's lacrosse articles in the lacrosse section on the board. I haven't read the TU since the free copies at the AE tourney and I don't feel like looking though thier garbage site for an article, but I am sure if they have time for this negative $iena, they also have time to cover the conference opener for a national ranked team.

:rolleyes:

Wow...what a hack piece....I was told he was writing one and was worried there would be a mass of people lining up but all he could get was Ross and McKnight to say something negative..? Surprise surprise that Ross had something negative to say!

Love the quotes from Brent and Iati....

This should once and for all remove any doubt about the TU...they are a Siena rag.

I too hate the TU and cancelled my subscription some time ago.

That being said, I have no problem w/ this piece. Pretty balanced article. Talks to two that left and two that stayed. Compares our departures to others in the America East and w/ the other local D1 team.

As fans if we don't see these departures as at least a concern we are burying our heads in the sand.

Not sure were (if any) the blame lies, but we are losing too many players and it is effecting our on court performance. I also fear it will continue to effect our on court performance.

This is a story.

I don't think the numbers tell the whole story in this case.

To me, the two NCAA-apperance years (2006-07) radically changed (improved) the quality of recruits we're gettting. A bunch of those players who transferred were recruited when we were in the midst of 5 consecutive 20 loss seasons. I think a lot of those guys saw better players coming in, realized they weren't going to get playing time, and transferred out.

No doubt I have purple colored glasses but that's the way I see many (not all) of the transfers.

As for Ross, he had his scholarship pulled at Fresno State also which generally gets forgotten. I'm not saying that makes his a bad guy and I liked him when he was here but it changes the dynamic of the story.

I'm with McFan. This article was pretty balanced. Most kids leave because of PT and coach let's them know where they stand. They can stay like Bauman and Knotts or leave. I'd rather know the truth and make my decision based on that.

Someone please post today's lacrosse articles in the lacrosse section on the board. I haven't read the TU since the free copies at the AE tourney and I don't feel like looking though thier garbage site for an article, but I am sure if they have time for this negative $iena, they also have time to cover the conference opener for a national ranked team.

It's next to the stories on the opening of spring football practice, on the area's top high school football player getting a full scholarship to the area's top college football team, and on Luke Schoen winning the pole vault at the NCAA regionals. <_<

It's next to the stories on the opening of spring football practice, on the area's top high school football player getting a full scholarship to the area's top college football team, and on Luke Schoen winning the pole vault at the NCAA regionals. <_<

The TU is busy digging for dirt...no time to write a positive story.

I actually thought the above story would be worse, apparently he couldn't find the necessary dirt to really write a nasty story.

My problem with Mark or the TU goes beyond this article.....this was not the worst bit of reporting ever seen on that site but there is a habitual under reporting of the many positives at UA and a quick trigger to post anything negative or what could be perceived as negative. For that reason...Mark is a hack! Last summers commitments weren't reported on...because Mark was at the track. When Siena got a commit, Pete contacted hoopscoop and other places to get a scouting report and posted it. Good for Siena and great that their fans get that kind of info and reporting, but I'll never confuse the TU with an antitity that is supportive of our efforts.

Over the years, I've been conditioned to be highly skeptical of anything they write about us.....I don't consider Mark or the TU a friend of our athletic program.

While I agree with most about the general coverage of UA basketball from the TU is less substantial than Siena and can be rather negative...I think this is an article that needed to be written. Even those on this board have been questioning the number of tranfers from the program...and I think its good that the TU is addressing the issue. And I think Carl Ross was an excellent source for the article...he's probably the most significant player to have transfered from the program (other than Raffa). And while I dont think this article was terribly groundbreaking to anyone on this board, it probably does open some eyes to the more casual fans. Wilson says it in the article...Will Brown is a tough coach for players. Some players cant hack it...and for players who arent going to get a lot of playing time (ie the Ried Anderson's of the world) its understandable that they'd leave. With Josh Martin and AL Turley, there were other factors that did not even involve basketball.

The only thing that really concerned me was the line saying players are afraid of being pulled after making one mistake...one of the most common complaints about Brown on this board. I am not trying to second guess the guy, but he needs to become a little more consistant with what he expects, and at times, allow them more leeway. Otherwise it seems likely that this sort of thing will remain a great possibility as long as he is coaching at Albany

While I agree with most about the general coverage of UA basketball from the TU is less substantial than Siena and can be rather negative...I think this is an article that needed to be written. Even those on this board have been questioning the number of tranfers from the program...and I think its good that the TU is addressing the issue. And I think Carl Ross was an excellent source for the article...he's probably the most significant player to have transfered from the program (other than Raffa). And while I dont think this article was terribly groundbreaking to anyone on this board, it probably does open some eyes to the more casual fans. Wilson says it in the article...Will Brown is a tough coach for players. Some players cant hack it...and for players who arent going to get a lot of playing time (ie the Ried Anderson's of the world) its understandable that they'd leave. With Josh Martin and AL Turley, there were other factors that did not even involve basketball.

The only thing that really concerned me was the line saying players are afraid of being pulled after making one mistake...one of the most common complaints about Brown on this board. I am not trying to second guess the guy, but he needs to become a little more consistant with what he expects, and at times, allow them more leeway. Otherwise it seems likely that this sort of thing will remain a great possibility as long as he is coaching at Albany

Excellent post that from my view, hits multiple nails on the head...I am a Brown supporter...but..he is also young and he is still on the steeper side of the lifielong learning curve about how to deal with kids and with people in general...I'm in my sixth decade and hell, I'm still learning myself!!!....I'm sure its hard to evaluate and successfully recruit kids at this level that meet or exceed a coaches expectations in terms of skill level, desire and perhaps most importantly for CB's system, attitude and mind set...I have to say I was always disturbed by the Ross departure...if for no other reason than from the standpoint that Ross's defense on that wonderful day in Burlington was so pivotal in that win....without that win...CB most likely does not get an offer at SBU and therefore no UA contract renegotiation...whether CB liked it or not/wanted to or not...he owed that youngster....I don't know the inside stuff...I'm sure that there are many facets to as to why Ross left ...I am simply saying that the kid helped put the Coach where he is...if he played for me...he wouldn't have been shown the door...

That article wasn't all that bad. Like a poster above stated, it showed more than one side of the story. Wilson's quote was good.

I also tend to follow DP's logic. I think they did see better players coming in (Harris, Ambrose, etc.) and knew they weren't going to play as much so they went looking for other opportunities.

Raffa was getting moved to SG. He obviously isn't going to start over Ambrose. Raffa wants to start. Raffa leaves. Makes sense to me.

Archived