UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it but I still don't understand the math.

He says we have 9,000 today and we'll add 18,000 to get to 27,000 but isn't 3,000 of those current seats temporary? If you swap out the temporary seats for permanant seats as part of the 18,000 then aren't you at 24,000? Unless it's a true +18,000, which means that the 3,000 vistors temporary bleachers not only get replaced but there is an 18,000 addition on top of that.

Nonetheless, I love the plans. Lets hope we can make it happen.

I love it but I still don't understand the math.

He says we have 9,000 today and we'll add 18,000 to get to 27,000 but isn't 3,000 of those current seats temporary? If you swap out the temporary seats for permanant seats as part of the 18,000 then aren't you at 24,000? Unless it's a true +18,000, which means that the 3,000 vistors temporary bleachers not only get replaced but there is an 18,000 addition on top of that.

Nonetheless, I love the plans. Lets hope we can make it happen.

My guess, he misspoke, happens often with top admins. It shouldn't but it does. Maybe an email to him would clarify in writing exactly what he meant...

My guess is they will probably design for 27k in the event we have some crazy jump opportunity to FBS with SBU.

Other than that, they may still design it out (remember Heery is under design contract until 2015 I believe)...and they will likely Phase this in as they get money.

I would gather Danefan is correct. A couple of notables from previous comments:

1. The Bleachers are Moveable (temp bleachers)

2. The Bleachers are not rented (part of project cost, so they will be reused or maybe given back for scrap costs)

3. The naming rights for the BERM are for 5 years.

4. 9,000 currents seats-- I have heard this same number from other sources...and the 3,000 on the visitor side looks about right based on depth of the gravel (width from Sideline to the eventual fence-line...and from 10yd to 10yd in length...makes this likely larger stands than JFF, which seat about 2500.

So...i think the next phase will be the following:

1. Berm left alone-- it's 1,000 seats already...and frankly, they are not going to change that in five years if they are giving naming rights.

2. The temp bleachers will go up BEHIND the scoreboard for a bit. Much like the old Foxborough stadium...there will be SOME obstructed views...but so be it. It fits the foot print very well.

3. 5,000 seats on the visitor side

4. Luxury boxes/club seats- I am not sure if the lip of the roof will be able to load bear...but if it is...this opens up a WHOLE new game. I think they have room for 5-7 more luxury boxes. Then...you do a club seat section. These luxury boxes and club seat section will spill out onto the lip of the roof allowing for higher pricing with these seats/boxes.

This is how I would do this. Now you basically have 10,000 permanent seats, 1,000 berm seats, 2-3000 temp bleachers...that also acts to close the stadium off for noise. You probably add 500 seats with the second set of luxury boxes / club level.

Boom...you have 13,500-14,500 seats...closed off stadium...income producing rental suites/club suites...and it probably costs you 10-12 million as Danefan stated. Then when you are ready...you build out the South end zone with building for lockerooms. And finally close off the north endzone 10 years later with two decks that replace the berm.

DONE.

In addition to other requirements, such as average attendance, doesn't FBS require a minimum capacity of 35,000 seats? I am probably wrong, but that number seems to stick out for me. Maybe that is what Buffalo upgraded to; I'll have to double check.

Whatever the FBS number is I think it is critical that we upgrade past that number so that requirement is met should the FBS opportunity ever arise (you never know). This stadium, in some form or another, will be with us for decades to come.

BTW, maybe it's just me...but could Dr. McElroy give a weaker endorsement of staying in the AE?

It's not you. For the first time, I have sensed AMBITION. He basically danced the conference question...said we are being looked at (maybe by even multiple conferences was his intimation). He also said it was a priority to keep our Head Coaches...and invest overall.

It was VERY clear that aside from track, which I don't believe he needed to mention based on the questions, that basketball (M/W), football and lacrosse were the big dogs on campus.

He also gushed over the men's hoop talent and the men's lax talent, and prioritized keeping Brown, Marr and Coach Abe.

I believe he solved one of those issues yesterday. ;)

Edited by Dane96

In addition to other requirements, such as average attendance, doesn't FBS require a minimum capacity of 35,000 seats? I am probably wrong, but that number seems to stick out for me. Maybe that is what Buffalo upgraded to; I'll have to double check.

Whatever the FBS number is I think it is critical that we upgrade past that number so that requirement is met should the FBS opportunity ever arise (you never know). This stadium, in some form or another, will be with us for decades to come.

It's an attendance minimum. 15,000. Never enforced. We'd be fine with 27k.

The original I-A requirement thirty years ago was for a 30,000-seat stadium, but even that could be gotten around with 17,000 attendance minimums for yourself or even just by your conference. But they were never enforced either, and the NCAA dropped the stadium rule and the 15K minimum was put in a few years ago.

I just listened to the webcast.

I like the tone. There is a long way to go before we get everyone to buy into Phase II.

It does tell us though that they really did put the infratsructure in place ot build out to the full 25,000+. That is key. That makes it such an easier sell.

I just listened to the webcast.

I like the tone. There is a long way to go before we get everyone to buy into Phase II.

It does tell us though that they really did put the infrastructure in place to build out to the full 25,000+. That is key. That makes it such an easier sell.

Exactly. Seems to me that it's much harder to get something like this off the ground, but now that it's up the battle to upgrade will be easier. I am going to take a very optimistic view and say we upgrade in some fashion within 5 years. If local support is there and they can prove that a facility like this has high market value via ticket sales and corporate sponsorships then we have a clear road to 27k. There is nothing else like this in the market.