UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I am on the same feeling with the softball field...

I would love to see a temp seating w/ press box behind home plate added. If that happens, I would be happy. Besides that....your talking something not needed for our level...your talking high level programs.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

96.....I am talking about the softball / baseball facilities as a whole...dedicated hitting facilities; bathroom facilties near the field and potentially locker room and club house facilities near the field. These are the kind of things that recruits, especially those of D1 quality are looking for and unfortunately, our school really doesnt have. Lets not even talk about our athletics website. These are the very first things that a kid and his parents see as they are being introduced to the school. As far as the playing surface....the baseball field is good however, an artificial surface would probably better as it would be less affected by the elements. When it comes down to it...it is very hard to compare with the facilities that the basketball team has and the football team will soon have.

You talk about middle of the pack as it relates to northeast schools. While the field itself may be middle of the pack, amenities are basicallly zero which makes the field not a great place to bring your family bring your family to enjoy a day of baseball. Most people dont want to do there business in a stinky porta-john. While improvement will not occur overnight it should occur on a yearly basis so that the level continues to rise. Other then some new stands that were put there last year, the field is stuck in time. In other words, previous plans have never been followed through on. Its basically the same deal with the softball field.

That's not realistic.

Edited by Dane96

go look at Syracuse softball field...THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THAT. AGAIN...THEY HAVE THE SAME THING WE HAVE, A NICER OF A HITTING CAGE/BP AREA and 650 temp seats w/ press box. THAT'S IT! Again, get temp seating w/ press box...I would be happy.

It is hard to argue what might be realistic or not. I shared the excitement of everyone on here when the announcmenet of the stadium was made. Nothing was better then finding out we were moving to the CAA. While the stands at the field may be worn I think we can agree, the field wasn't too bad. Well why make the investment then....to have the program advance, improvement the recruiting, provide better amentities for the players and fans. I am all in favor of all of that. But then you are saying that improving the facilities for other programs is not realistic. Is it not reasonable for the softball team to have an indoor facility where they can hit in the winter that is dedicated to them. Is it unreasonable that there be bathrooms so the fans dont have to use porta-pottys? How expansive will be the football teams locker room and clubhouse? Should they be the only ones? I follow the football team more now then ever before....they are exciting and I am looking forward to next year so I dont want you to believe that this is an unwarranted attack on them. There is still so much to do!

.....There is still so much to do! - GreatDane87

I think we all agree there is alot left to do but I really think we have to start completing jobs before moving on to other jobs.

Look at what we've done in the past - Field Hockey has a nice turf field and nothing else, Fallon Field is nice but all the work below the bleachers has never been completed, Our track is terrible and our Soccer teams are forced to play away (home games).

Lets finish this stage of the Stadium completely before we start taking on other major projects. Right noe all are newer facilities are upgrades but all are incomplete.

Yah...my understanding is we had/needed $2mm to finish the Lax Stadium. WTF? What happened there. Frankly, I would like to see that DONE. First, it is nice for both men's / women's Lax and FH to have. Second, it will serve as temp facility for the Visting Football team due to its proximity to the field. Second, it will allow us to have concessions that are first rate.

Finally...what will it cost to put up 1000 bleacher seats for FH to class up the joint. This doesn't have to be more than BLEACHERS...and maybe a PA system. My guess...500k maximum.

Thank god the webcam is back. I follow this much more than I should.

As far as other projects, I say focus on the stadium. It's our multi-sport complex. Investment put there helps football and soccer. I don't see why they can't also play field hockey and lacrosse. Why split your investment into multiple smaller projects. Use this as your Carrier Dome and play everything there. After this is built, who want to play at Fallon Field? Personally I feel the Fallon Field money would have been better invested in the stadium.

Are you better with one nice car or two or more clunkers?

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Thank god the webcam is back. I follow this much more than I should.

As far as other projects, I say focus on the stadium. It's our multi-sport complex. Investment put there helps football and soccer. I don't see why they can't also play field hockey and lacrosse. Why split your investment into multiple smaller projects. Use this as your Carrier Dome and play everything there. After this is built, who want to play at Fallon Field. Personally I feel the Fallon Field money would have been better invested in the stadium.

Are you better with one nice car or two or more clunkers?

I agree and have been harping on this from Day 1!

I can guarantee Scott Marr is going to be pushing for every game possible on Bob Ford Field and why wouldn't he? He's going to have to look at that huge tower beaming down over Fallon field every day. You better believe he's walking recruits through the stadium as well on visits.

Finally...what will it cost to put up 1000 bleacher seats for FH to class up the joint. This doesn't have to be more than BLEACHERS...and maybe a PA system. My guess...500k maximum.

Probably a lot less, if you use transportable bleachers; they go for between $80 - $130/seat (eg $11K for a 133-seat, ten-row section) and they could be turned around during lacrosse season if needed, or trucked over to softball and baseball in the spring. FH wouldn't need much of a sound system either (let's face it, a couple of bullhorns would work, and sound clearer than University Field).

http://www.aluminum-bleachers.com/transportable-bleachers.html

Permanent seating, yeah, probably $500k per venue.

I agree to...but the money had to be spent the way that John Fallon contracted it to be spent w/ his donation.

My comment was merely that we were supposed to have that money on hand. What happened. That aside, I do feel Field Hockey should get a basic press box and stands. They are way too good to not have it.

And...FHockey pitches have differing (read hard pitch) requirements that they need a seperate field.

If you told me that you had $2.5mm on hand today I'd say"

Spent 500k on the FH pitch for stands/pressbox; and

Take $2mm and put into a growth fund for 5 years...get it up to nearly 2.8 or so...and start the other side of the field (temp stands) for our stadium. If you are not going to do that...then finish the lax stadium...which will also be used by the community.

Probably a lot less, if you use transportable bleachers; they go for between $80 - $130/seat (eg $11K for a 133-seat, ten-row section) and they could be turned around during lacrosse season if needed, or trucked over to softball and baseball in the spring. FH wouldn't need much of a sound system either (let's face it, a couple of bullhorns would work, and sound clearer than University Field).

http://www.aluminum-bleachers.com/transportable-bleachers.html

Permanent seating, yeah, probably $500k per venue.

Nice Find...and I LOVE THIS IDEA OF TRANSPORTABLE BLEACHERS!!!!!

Edited by Dane96

I agree. If a sport can't be played at the stadium then we should do what is possible to get them up to standards. It looks like the stadium will account for the bulk of the field sports. We should use it for everything we can. It's our center piece. It's our recruiting tool. Football, M Soccer, W Soccer, M Lacrosse, W Lacrosse. Maybe Rugby as we've spoken before. Basketball already has an ideal home at the TU Center if and when they improve to justify it. I'm not sure I would put any dollars in there. If your good enough, play at the TU.

The stadium is where the bulk of athletics investment dollars need to go. Of course take care of those that don't fit into the multi-sport complex but that should be the exception. John Falloon field was a nice interum solution but I wouldn't split investments at the expense of the new center piece.

I agree. If a sport can't be played at the stadium then we should do what is possible to get them up to standards. It looks like the stadium will account for the bulk of the field sports. We should use it for everything we can. It's our center piece. It's our recruiting tool. Football, M Soccer, W Soccer, M Lacrosse, W Lacrosse. Maybe Rugby as we've spoken before. Basketball already has an ideal home at the TU Center if and when they improve to justify it. I'm not sure I would put any dollars in there. If your good enough, play at the TU.

The stadium is where the bulk of athletics investment dollars need to go. Of course take care of those that don't fit into the multi-sport complex but that should be the exception. John Falloon field was a nice interum solution but I wouldn't split investments at the expense of the new center piece.

Disagree. There is a variety of BEYOND necessary changes at the SEFCU.

1. Scoreboard w/ players/foul listing; bonus if can get a tv screen.

2. Paint...at a miniumum. Place is dungeon like now...and the bleachers are rotting out wood footings with paint chipped off to show the wood.

It is sad.