UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

229472_416046741788089_1930271798_n.jpg

From Facebook..

Awesome!

those pictures are great but looking at university field is tough. so pathetic for this program. so glad with what is going up on the other side.

Agreed. The softball and baseball fields could also use some work.

Edited by madDOG

I totally agree with you Maddog.....it is time for all of our facilities to be brought up to Division 1 standards. These type of issues affect recruiting. All student athletes at UA deserve to be playing on the best surfaces in the best facilities. Maybe the completion of the stadium project will cause growth, developement or revitalization of the facilities for some of the other sports!Its time that all UA sports start thinking on a D1 standard!!!!

Edited by GreatDane87

87...my first love has been and always will be baseball. So take the following with that in mind:

What exactly makes our field non-DI capable?

I have been to many DI fields across the country however, and this is where the comparision should be placed, in relation to NE facilities...as is in the middle of the pack in my opinion.

Since the webcam's still out, for those who can't make it to the game Saturday:

There wasn't much going on today with the rain

panorama928.jpg

Part of the path running down the north berm?

fordfield9282012002.jpg

Not much to see on the east side yet

fordfield9282012001.jpg

Closeup of the lower wall

fordfield9282012006.jpg

fordfield9282012005.jpg

The base of the elevator tower

fordfield9282012009.jpg

fordfield9282012010.jpg

fordfield9282012011.jpg

Long view of the back

fordfield9282012007.jpg

In other construction news, the Business building is taking shape

fordfield9282012012.jpg

and I couldn't get close enough for pictures, but the steelwork is up for the bridge from between the field hockey/baseball road, across Indian Pond to the picnic area.

Its amazing that the elevator tower is going to be 80+ feet high from the top of the wall that is there now. Its going to look even bigger walking into the stadium from the SEFCU lot because you'll have to walk up stairs just to get to the mezzanine level.

Youngstown was the same way, walking uphill to that enormous home side (the tallest building in the city).

96.....I am talking about the softball / baseball facilities as a whole...dedicated hitting facilities; bathroom facilties near the field and potentially locker room and club house facilities near the field. These are the kind of things that recruits, especially those of D1 quality are looking for and unfortunately, our school really doesnt have. Lets not even talk about our athletics website. These are the very first things that a kid and his parents see as they are being introduced to the school. As far as the playing surface....the baseball field is good however, an artificial surface would probably better as it would be less affected by the elements. When it comes down to it...it is very hard to compare with the facilities that the basketball team has and the football team will soon have.

You talk about middle of the pack as it relates to northeast schools. While the field itself may be middle of the pack, amenities are basicallly zero which makes the field not a great place to bring your family bring your family to enjoy a day of baseball. Most people dont want to do there business in a stinky porta-john. While improvement will not occur overnight it should occur on a yearly basis so that the level continues to rise. Other then some new stands that were put there last year, the field is stuck in time. In other words, previous plans have never been followed through on. Its basically the same deal with the softball field.

Edited by GreatDane87

96.....I am talking about the softball / baseball facilities as a whole...dedicated hitting facilities; bathroom facilties near the field and potentially locker room and club house facilities near the field. These are the kind of things that recruits, especially those of D1 quality are looking for and unfortunately, our school really doesnt have. Lets not even talk about our athletics website. These are the very first things that a kid and his parents see as they are being introduced to the school. As far as the playing surface....the baseball field is good however, an artificial surface would probably better as it would be less affected by the elements. When it comes down to it...it is very hard to compare with the facilities that the basketball team has and the football team will soon have.

You talk about middle of the pack as it relates to northeast schools. While the field itself may be middle of the pack, amenities are basicallly zero which makes the field not a great place to bring your family bring your family to enjoy a day of baseball. Most people dont want to do there business in a stinky porta-john. While improvement will not occur overnight it should occur on a yearly basis so that the level continues to rise. Other then some new stands that were put there last year, the field is stuck in time. In other words, previous plans have never been followed through on. Its basically the same deal with the softball field.

that is a lot. Go look at Joe Nathan Field, which I consider the prime for AE Baseball. They don't have stuff like that and are successful. Joe Nathan has a nice BP area and temp seating behind home plate (w/ press box). No locker rooms or anything. You almost talking on the level of SEC, ACC or Pac-10 facility. Joe Nathan Field doesn't even have lights! Does baseball need work...I think small upgrades, like the temp seating w/ seating is good. However, what I always liked about our field was that on the visitor side, you could sit on that small hill and see the entire field.

Facility needs small upgrades, but the drastic stuff your talking about is something faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr off.