UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The one thing that does kind of stink is how large the sideline areas are going to be because of the soccer pitch size. It will take a little bit away from the spectator experience being that far away from the benches and the sideline.

Hopefully the pitch on the seats is steap enough for everyone to get really good views though.

As space as this?

1338_Game_Day_at_LaValle_Stadium.jpg

I like the color strips that go down the sideline. Reminds me of the Rose Bowl. Also like the red numbers on their field. I would like purple numbers on our field (I think).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY HOPE THAT ALL OF THOSE WIDE WHITE LINES WON'T BE ON THE FIELD. Hurts the eyes. It looks like they did the wide white lines every 5 yards?!?! Normally it's every ten with skinny lines every five, plus the hashes.

Edited by Dane96

Walked by this afternoon...in person the end zones look darker than they do on the webcam, but it's still pretty intense color. I don't see much contrast in the supposed two-tone green sections, (unless there's some conditioning to be done that changes the color, and anyway I am a little color-blind). The turf looks disappointingly far from the home seats, though an improvement over University Field.

There are a lot of pallets of cinder block behind the box office; they've been building interior walls in the lowest level of the grandstand.

I REALLY HOPE THAT ALL OF THOSE WIDE WHITE LINES WON'T BE ON THE FIELD. Hurts the eyes. It looks like they did the wide white lines every 5 yards?!?! Normally it's every ten with skinny lines every five, plus the hashes.

I'm not sure I see the wide lines you're referencing.

The 20's are supposed to have purple accent lines and they are putting "NFL style" numbers on the yard lines which I think will make a big difference.

I thought most of that work would have been built into the turf and not painted on, but it appears they do that afterwards.

I'd wait and see what the final product looks like with all the graphics.

As I said earlier though, I am dissapointed in how much room there is between the sidelines and the first row of seats. The plans call for 15ft between the soccer sidelines and the stands. That seems excessive to me and will definitely hurt the football gameday experience. But it may have been necessary for other things. Maybe for Lax? Does there need to be some distance to protect fans from errant balls?

Walked by this afternoon...in person the end zones look darker than they do on the webcam, but it's still pretty intense color. I don't see much contrast in the supposed two-tone green sections, (unless there's some conditioning to be done that changes the color, and anyway I am a little color-blind). The turf looks disappointingly far from the home seats, though an improvement over University Field.

There are a lot of pallets of cinder block behind the box office; they've been building interior walls in the lowest level of the grandstand.

I rode my bike over today, to get a closer look at the new turf. I really do not see any contrast or two tone green. With the turf down, the stands do look pretty far away from the field; but I biked over to the old field where I did a very rough estimate and guessed university field side line is 35 to 40 feet from the first row. Someone said Bob Ford field is 15 feet from the stands, which is a huge improvement. Perhaps when the stands are more complete the open space on the sidelines will not look so big. Watched a little baseball, but UA lost the first game 6-8. They were leading in the second game 3-2 when I left.

I rode my bike over today, to get a closer look at the new turf. I really do not see any contrast or two tone green. With the turf down, the stands do look pretty far away from the field; but I biked over to the old field where I did a very rough estimate and guessed university field side line is 35 to 40 feet from the first row. Someone said Bob Ford field is 15 feet from the stands, which is a huge improvement. Perhaps when the stands are more complete the open space on the sidelines will not look so big. Watched a little baseball, but UA lost the first game 6-8. They were leading in the second game 3-2 when I left.

Danefan said 15 ft. from the soccer sideline; a soccer pitch being at least 17 yards wider than football, that adds another 25 feet. If they HAD to put a soccer field down I'd wished they offset the two centerlines (use the same sideline on the home side, so the visitors side is further away).

There is a sight variation in the two shades of the green turf. The lighter and darker shades alternate every five yards except at midfield. The difference is more evident should you see it from the press level.

There is a sight variation in the two shades of the green turf. The lighter and darker shades alternate every five yards except at midfield. The difference is more evident should you see it from the press level.

Not many of us will see it from the press box. But I did see some variation in the morning webcam; maybe the angle of the sun makes a difference too.

"(use the same sideline on the home side, so the visitors side is further away). " I would have thought this was a no brainer? Anyone know if this is the case or why it was not done this way??????

I does "appear" from the web cam that the additional space needed for soccer has been lined to the visitor side?

Edited by dslyank

"(use the same sideline on the home side, so the visitors side is further away). " I would have thought this was a no brainer? Anyone know if this is the case or why it was not done this way?????

Most places that I've noticed just put all the fields with the same centerline. Sure, they're not usually one-sided bleachers, but even John Fallon Field centers both men and women's lax even though the women's field is wider.

This isn't the same as places like the LA Coliseum or Harvard, where the field is shifted deep into one end of the oval/horseshoe while the other end is unused.