UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: @ UMass-Lowell 7pm Wed 1/15

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone see Evan's slam the ball down at the end of the game just to bounce back up and basically almost hit him in the face lol. We even have trouble getting mad!

He posted this on twitter after the game..seems to know his free throws would have made a difference. Reminds us that these guys know it too, it's not just us fans getting mad on a board or at the tv. Hopefully he can get back into his groove.

"I will take the L for that one. Idk wtf is going on. Never shot this poorly in my entire career." - DJ

I know these kids take it hard and you can see how angry they were after. Just hope the coaching staff is just as angry and took the loss even worse and don't get comfortable after last years run. Coach Brown not tweeting for three days is a good thing.

BTW Maine got trounced by UVM 83-46 last night.

Edited by UA'08

Maybe its conditioning. Ever read about what Will Brown eats on the road? Not exactly setting a good example

This thread went downhill fast, now we're talking about the coaching staff's diet.... :blink:

Edited by MsGDG

Well..the big complaint is that team can't hold leads. If you eat poorly, you are poorly conditioned, if you are poorly conditioned you tend to break down at the end of games/seasons.

Perfectly relevant. A business partner who was not happy with my CEO's actions once told me "A fish starts rotting from the head."

Ok, maybe a slight stretch, but still..

I know I am joining the conversation late. I had one foot out the door on my way to the VT bus, when a family situation pulled me back inside and I was subsequently out of town all week. So no comment on the VT game other than I guess I am glad I missed it. I was able to watch the umass game (good quality actually) and have a few thoughts.

For those who are in panic mode; if we do not get healthy quickly, I think panic is more than justified. I know coach did not blame the loss on injuries, but that is "coach speak" and politically correct. But consider: your best player does not suit (who thinks Hooley is not worth two points in that game?); your power forward plays the game with basically one hand (makes an extra free throw or two if he had both hands); your all time shot blocker is basically 80% or less (maybe if 100% he swats away a shot or two down the stretch when umass going strictly inside); your point guard is forced to play 45 minutes (anyone who knows anything about BB, knows free throws are made with the legs, which get fatigued even in a normal #of minutes--a rested DJ does not miss 2 of three free's down the stretch). Do I need to go on {Levon, Dallas, Devlin, Johnson}? Anyone who does not think that loss was predominantly due to injuries, did not suffer through the Yankees this past baseball season [or for that matter glow about their injuries].

Secondly, and I will put this in a second post, umass is not that bad a team.

Edited by dslyank

your best player does not suit (who thinks Hooley is not worth two points in that game?); your power forward plays the game with basically one hand (makes an extra free throw or two

Hooley isn't listed in the Maine game notes for what it's worth. Starting lineup is the same as it was for UML.

For those upset that we lost to a DI newbie/DII. The talent difference between DI major,DI minor, DII, DIII is NOT as great as some of you think. The DEPTH of talent is more a factor than individual abilities. If you play college ball, you are good, and even at the DII level, your starting five are probably all schollies. For DII's knocking off DI's or DIII's beating DII's, you need look no further than your own university. Bob Ford and Doc Sauers made a career out of beating the bigs {an exaggeration maybe, but not without some truth}. A well coached team with a punch of players playing a little above their heads perhaps, or with one or two studs going off on a given night, can and have allowed cross division upsets.

Lastly, umass beat an improved bingo team @ bingo (a very difficult place to play, even when bingo is bad) and beat umbc who we struggled with. When it was announced that lowell was joining the am east, a lot of people complained, but I warned you than that they would be a good fit athletically and a force in the league. Academically they may not add up, but they are committed to sports and that makes them even more formidable. Also, specifically talking about Weds, game, who would have thought a kid shooting less than 50% from the charity line would make 4 of 5 down the stretch.

We need to get healthy--plain and simple.

Edited by dslyank

For those upset that we lost to a DI newbie/DII. The talent difference between DI major,DI minor, DII, DIII is NOT as great as some of you think. The DEPTH of talent is more a factor than individual abilities. If you play college ball, you are good, and even at the DII level, your starting five are probably all schollies. For DII's knocking off DI's or DIII's beating DII's, you need look no further than your own university. Bob Ford and Doc Sauers made a career out of beating the bigs {an exaggeration maybe, but not without some truth}. A well coached team with a punch of players playing a little above their heads perhaps, or with one or two studs going off on a given night, can and have allowed cross division upsets.

Lastly, umass beat an improved bingo team @ bingo (a very difficult place to play, even when bingo is bad) and beat umbc who we struggled with. When it was announced that lowell was joining the am east, a lot of people complained, but I warned you than that they would be a good fit athletically and a force in the league. Academically they may not add up, but they are committed to sports and that makes them even more formidable. Also, specifically talking about Weds, game, who would have thought a kid shooting less than 50% from the charity line would make 4 of 5 down the stretch.

We need to get healthy--plain and simple.

I understand, but are we now supposed to compare ourselves to the bottom cellar teams of the America East? How are we ever going to become a power team in a mediocre conference. This is the smalbany mentality that always seems to be on the board. Maybe its the fact I've only been following the school since it was D1 and never saw the transitions between levels.

dslyank is correct on UMass Lowell--two conference losses by 14 to Vermont early and last night AT Stony Brook by 5. Game was on America East Network(which is great).

Played most of the game without Wilams who killed s--ha a great game plan by pressuring SB guards so they couldn't get ball to their bigs

Edited by Oldtimer