UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Postseason

How has it worked out for our conference post

UVM upset of Cuse?

It didn't. League is the same.

Your argument is similar to that of real estate - I hope my neighbor strikes it big and sells his house for X dollars. That will mean that my house is worth more or comparable. Except it doesn't work like that, and we are competing against Stony for recruits - most of the AE teams for that matter. We're also competing with them for scheduling as well. They make noise and they're a better draw.

I'm not some anti SBU person - a lot of my friends went there. If they happen to have an upset of UK, it will arguably be one of the greatest sports feats they will ever witness - happy for them in that case if pigs do fly.

I personally know kids who have been recruited to the AE after "runs", both in the past and now. Believe me...it helps get better players.

And the league was better after the AE run by UVM.

Our level of hoops is cyclic.

Since that UVM win, the America east has lost two teams right in the heart of their league offices and almost lost two more to the CAA. We've had zero NIT at large bids for the conference over the past ten years and cracked the RPI top 20 two times. Edited by UA'08

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest sbu or uvm winning a game has any positive effect on the league or recruiting. Zero!

That's because the AE has had 0 players with NBA prospects over that period. What we have shown recruits is that this is a good place to play if you want a good education and possibly continue a career overseas. Warney can be a recent example that can be used by AE coaches when recruiting higher ranked players. "Look it can happen here in the AE, and I think you might be good enough to follow in his footsteps, make an impact right away instead of fighting for minutes in the ACC or Big East"

Obviously they need to still recruit quality students that will fit culturally, succeed in the classroom, and not be tempted to transfer out after a year, but him getting press and hopefully drafted can help the AE. A win in round 1 helps his draft stock, especially if he has a big game against a big school or two.

Hooley's shot was great exposure for UA and added name recognition but a UA win in the tournament wouldn't have helped UA (much less the conference) get any higher level recruits. A recent NBA success story would.

I disagree 100%. How can you say that UA winning a tournament game would not help with recruiting?

Warney maybe getting drafted and maybe making a team would be more beneficial to UA than UA winning a NCAA game?

In my opinion it would help recruiting more than UA winning a game yes. I am apparently in the minority in that opinion, but I know that if you want the team to get multiple 3 and 4 star recruits you have to show them opportunity to continue to play. yes 99.99% of them will never have a shot of playing at the NBA level - but those kids are the best of the best of the best in their areas. They are state players of the year. They are MVP's. They have spent their lives always being the absolute best in their areas. If you think these kids don't have playing professionally in the back of their minds while being recruited then you are missing something. I couldn't walk on to a D2 baseball team after being all-section in high-school yet I still dreamed of playing MLB. If I was good enough to be highly recruited by multiple D1 schools I most definitely would have chosen the school that would have given me the best opportunity to go pro - even if it was a million to one shot.

No NBA players from the AE since 06 and none that played for a team that is still in the AE since 1993 = the current version of the conference is one that even mid-level prospects don't want to go to.

Edited by godanesgo99

I disagree 100%. How can you say that UA winning a tournament game would not help with recruiting?

Warney maybe getting drafted and maybe making a team would be more beneficial to UA than UA winning a NCAA game?

In my opinion it would help recruiting more than UA winning a game yes. I am apparently in the minority in that opinion, but I know that if you want the team to get multiple 3 and 4 star recruits you have to show them opportunity to continue to play. yes 99.99% of them will never have a shot of playing at the NBA level - but those kids are the best of the best of the best in their areas. They are state players of the year. They are MVP's. They have spent their lives always being the absolute best in their areas. If you think these kids don't have playing professionally in the back of their minds while being recruited then you are missing something. I couldn't walk on to a D2 baseball team after being all-section in high-school yet I still dreamed of playing MLB. If I was good enough to be highly recruited by multiple D1 schools I most definitely would have chosen the school that would have given me the best opportunity to go pro - even if it was a million to one shot.

No NBA players from the AE since 06 and none that played for a team that is still in the AE since 1993 = the current version of the conference is one that even mid-level prospects don't want to go to.

Damian Lillard- Webber st

CJ mcullom-Lehigh

Kenneth farheed- Moorhead st

All NBA players, but their schools are not bringing in 3-4 star recruits.

Damian Lillard- Webber st

CJ mcullom-Lehigh

Kenneth farheed- Moorhead st

All NBA players, but their schools are not bringing in 3-4 star recruits.

There is success stories all over the NBA...2nd round picks becoming perennial all-stars...but those guys are the exception, not the rule.

Again, the players we had in 2006 are no better than the players we have now. Even after we've won 50% of the championships in those 10 years (that is CRAZY - any fan base would kill for that).

The AE, generally speaking, has sent some statistically good teams to the tournament (teams with 23-24 wins, etc.) only to get their clocks cleaned by competition which, frankly, is far superior.

Our goal should be to win enough to get the hell out of the AE, if we are an institution that cares about our sports recognition. If we are okay continuing to lose 1st round games, etc...then by all means, stay in the AE in perpetuity. Our only chance of ever getting realistically close to hanging with a Kentucky or Duke or Kansas is to change conferences where EVERY player recruited is on Warney's or Wilson's level. When we have 4-5 guys like that on our roster, then possibly we will make some serious noise. That might be the next conference...or two/three conferences down the road. Whether it's in 5 years or 10...if we're still in the AE in 10 years and win 2-3 more titles and are still recruiting the same levels kids (great kids, don't get me wrong)...we have a PROBLEM. Rather, the AE is the problem.

Are their Cinderella stories such as Siena's, etc.? Sure. But for every one of those...there is an AE team losing by 15 in the first round year in, year out. We've been there. We've watched the games. We hang around for the first 25-30 minutes and then the ACC and SEC teams up the ante and we get run off the floor.

Edited by Eli

Under 2 minutes to play and it looks like Yale might pull off the first big upset (5/12 game) of the tourney. Albany only beat them by 34 in the early season...

Makai Mason was 3-10, 0-4 from 3 for 8 points against Albany. 31 points today.

Under 2 minutes to play and it looks like Yale might pull off the first big upset (5/12 game) of the tourney. Albany only beat them by 34 in the early season...

Makai Mason was 3-10, 0-4 from 3 for 8 points against Albany. 31 points today.

Also, wasn't their best player out? Granted, at the time, we said that it wouldn't matter if he had played or not since that was a THOROUGH whoopin, but maybe there was more to it. Man, if only that UA team showed up at the end of the season..we'd be playing today...

EDIT: Yale beat Baylor.

Edited by Eli

So the announcers just said something like "Yale does the Ivy League proud" and "the Ivy League finally represents"

There's really no way to predict if an SBU upset would affect Albany recruiting, let alone UNH or UMBC or whoever.

But it gets people talking about your conference, which can't be a bad thing. And, who knows, it could make the difference next year if a recruit is deciding between the AE and a comparable mid major conference that lost by 25 in the first round.

• Like 2

Congrats to former Great Dane player and assistant coach, James Jones (Head Coach at Yale), on getting his first tourney victory! See below for more info on him for those who don't know him.

A Long Island, N.Y., native, Jones served as an assistant basketball coach for five seasons (1990-95) at his alma mater, the University at Albany (N.Y.). In his final two coaching seasons at Albany, he helped lead the team to a 44-11 record and two appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including reaching the Elite Eight in 1993-94. His primary responsibilities included recruiting, scouting, supervising the fall conditioning program and advising team members on academic matters. The team was 93-40 during his five seasons on the bench. Jones graduated from Albany in 1986 with a bachelor's degree in communications and in 1995 earned his master's in educational administration. As a player at Albany, Jones was captain of the freshman team and was selected as the team's Freshman of the Year. He played for and coached with the legendary Dr. Richard Sauers, one of only seven collegiate coaches to win more than 700 games.