UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2021

100 correct . Everything you said there.  I would more think like a single digit scorer that's a freshman or sophomore (as a transfer) at a high conference.  A double digit scorer would likely go elsewhere.  

Do you want a power 5 transfer that plays 2 min a game?

yes over a senior that averages 5 a game in the Patriot.  Yes . For the most part . But there are exceptions.  

Edited by UA1882

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

I’m a Will Brown guy...I just feel like people are trashing a new coach before seeing the goods.  

I haven't seen much evidence of that. I think if Will Brown had brought in a player from D2 Lock Haven (Cerruti), some people would have gone crazy - maybe I'm wrong. There wasn't much reaction here.

Not knocking Cerruti or Newman. It seems like Newman was brought in so Champion would stay in Albany. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I haven't seen much evidence of that. I think if Will Brown had brought in a player from D2 Lock Haven (Cerruti), some people would have gone crazy - maybe I'm wrong. There wasn't much reaction here.

Not knocking Cerruti or Newman. It seems like Newman was brought in so Champion would stay in Albany. 

Personally, I think it has less to due with his friendship Champion and more to do with the fact that the Griffin family is familiar with Newman.  

• Like 1

Interesting reading. As for me, I’m gonna let the engine cool off on DK’s car before commenting on his player choices. WB had some hits and had some misses.

Having said that, the guy from Bucknell looks far better than Hanks imho. Everyone is going to have to learn a new system. Nothing wrong with good D2 players. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Dane Pound, I had the same observation....neither one of us are saying that the player in question is not D1 player...players ended up D2 for many reasons....however if Will Brown made the offer....the s@%# would hit the fan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Dane Pound, I had the same observation....neither one of us are saying that the player in question is not D1 player...players ended up D2 for many reasons....however if Will Brown made the offer....the s@%# would hit the fan.

Maybe, but a 20 year established coach recruiting should be a little easier than a brand new coach faced w a ton of transfers so yes I’ll give CK a little more leeway.

6 hours ago, McFan said:

Maybe, but a 20 year established coach recruiting should be a little easier than a brand new coach faced w a ton of transfers so yes I’ll give CK a little more leeway.

This...if in 2 years or 20 years (if he's here) this is the level of recruiting it's gonna be a problem. His first priority needs to be to shure up a roster that is understandably slammed with transfers. So yeah...he's gonna be held to a different standard 3 weeks into the job. He also doesn't have the baggage of losing seasons and 1/3 the roster transferring every year...at least not yet so people usually will give a new coach a bit more rope.

The first two recruits aren't home runs on paper...that much is clear. The reaction has been muted because let's face it, everyone is trying to figure out if this is temporary or the norm going forward. If temporary, OK! If the norm we have a problem for a guy billed as a "recruiter" who's first two hires were brought in, in part due to their connection to City Rocks and Philly area.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cwdickens said:

If you are gonna hold a guy 3 weeks on the job who's trying to rebuild a roster to the same standards as the guy 20 year on the job...that's pretty harsh.

Especially as the previous staff lost a ton of kids every year to transfer and had more than their shares of Sasha French, Reece Brooks, Phillip Flory, Conhrain, Conway, Lands, Martin-Garcia, Trey Green and Richard Peters who beg the question ...umm...who saw them as D1 kids? What about Haas or Barraza both of whom had cinder blocks for shoes...so let's not pretend like this is the first time that a D2 kid has been offered...and yet no one killed those offers at the time. Want a few more...what about Gifford and Lindfors...so please...spare me the, $iena would hit the fan. We've sat here for YEARS watching D2 kids get recruited and leave. Of anything, we've a been well conditioned...

Edited by Clickclack

19 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

This...if in 2 years or 20 years (if he's here) this is the level of recruiting it's gonna be a problem. His first priority needs to be to sure up a roster that is understandably slammed with transfers. So yeah...he's gonna be held to a different standard 3 weeks into the job. He also doesn't have the baggage of losing seasons and 1/3 the roster transferring every year...at least not yet so people usually will give a new coach a bit more rope.

The first two recruits aren't home runs on paper...that much is clear. The reaction has been muted because let's face it, everyone is trying to figure out if this is temporary or the norm going forward. If temporary, OK! If the norm we have a problem for a guy billed as a "recruiter" who's first two hires were brought in, in part due to their connection to City Rocks and Philly area.

Completely agree . But be careful you get slammed for saying stuff like the above. 

I never felt Brown was a recruiter. A good coach....yes but never a recruiter.  

37 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Completely agree . But be careful you get slammed for saying stuff like the above. 

I never felt Brown was a recruiter. A good coach....yes but never a recruiter.  

Why...which part of the above is not true? D96 is right...feels like people are sitting on pins and needles waiting for DK to fail so some here can say see...Benson shouldn't have made a change. I'm on the record saying the program was going nowhere and even if DK loses for years and gets canned my opinion that change was needed won't change. The above will be denies but it's true, there is a subset of fans biding their time to pounce. And yeah...DK with his first two commitments is giving those folks some ammo. As for me...until proven otherwise I'm all in on this coach because he's the only one we have right now. I will cheer my ass off if we are allowed into the arena like I did game in and game our for CB and his teams.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

As I stated several time before .... in fact stated it was a great hire the second it happened.... I believe Killings is the right coach for the job. 

I'm simply stating I hope he can recruit as he has been built up to be. Of course time will tell. 

I don't know why anyone would have a problem hiring assistants with ties to strong HS and AAU squads. It really seems like a no brainer to me. If they can coach and bring the added dimension of a potential pipeline for recruits, how is that bad? It seems to me that a coaching staff should be well rounded, with recruiters, teachers, breakdown/scouting skills. etc. What it shouldn't be is a home for ex players who need a job. OK, maybe one, the best, but there needs to be some outside perspective that wasn't built off of the head coach's resume and techniques. IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread....keeps popping up...when talking about a recruit...however as I pointed out before...the hiring of an assistant coach closely associated with a recruit is not new to UAlbany....Will Brown was an example of that...came from Sullivan County Community College with a recruit....

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

This thread....keeps popping up...when talking about a recruit...however as I pointed out before...the hiring of an assistant coach closely associated with a recruit is not new to UAlbany....Will Brown was an example of that...came from Sullivan County Community College with a recruit....

That was the Scott Beeten era. I'm not sure we want to take too many examples from that!

16 hours ago, jimbo said:

I don't know why anyone would have a problem hiring assistants with ties to strong HS and AAU squads. It really seems like a no brainer to me. If they can coach and bring the added dimension of a potential pipeline for recruits, how is that bad? 

I don't have a problem with it either. 

The only time it can look/be skeevy is some college coaches hire high school coaches to "deliver" a recruit they used to coach in high school to their school. Some of the FBS football schools hire a bunch of "special assistants" who are high school coaches, to bring recruits from their old high schools with them.

BTW, I never meant to imply that's it's going on here. Just answering the question.