UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020-2021 season in doubt?

America East posted schedule "FORMAT" today on ualbanysports.com: 

The America East basketball season will consist of a full 18-game double round robin where teams will play a single opponent on back-to-back games on Saturdays and Sundays starting December 19-20.

Sounds like we will play Vermont only @ home OR only on the road? Likewise entire league no longer home and away? Similar format for volleyball. Looks like soccer and field hockey playing reduced schedules? Indoor track canceled. 

29 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Is this the same for UAlbany Women's Basketball?  Each playing home on alternate weekends perhaps....

Think so. Here's the full press release: https://americaeast.com/news/2020/10/19/2020-21_season-structures.aspx

and the relevant part about the basketball season:

Basketball
For basketball, the Board approved the conference’s COVID-19 testing pathways recommendations, which outline testing options available to schools to comply with the NCAA’s Core Principles of Resocialization of Collegiate Basketball  guidance and agreed that any non-conference opponents must also satisfy the NCAA’s testing guidance for at least one week prior to competing against an America East team. The testing pathways were developed in consultation with the conference’s Health and Safety Committee and Campus Health Advisory Group and informed by health and travel guidance from the conference’s eight states. Both groups will continue to establish other health and safety measures over the next several weeks to ensure adherence to campus and state guidance.

In addition to the testing protocols, the Board approved basketball scheduling formats proposed by the Basketball Sport Scenario Group for the 2020-21 season. The official men’s and women’s basketball schedules will be announced in early November. The approved formats include:

• A full double round-robin schedule of 18 conference games.
  • A schedule format that consists of weekend series (Saturday and Sunday) where a team hosts the same opponent on back-to-back days for two games.
  • Starting conference play the weekend of December 19-20 with open weekends later in the season to accommodate any postponed games.
  • Preserving institutional discretion on playing non-conference games the first three weeks of the season.

“We are universally committed to responsibly prepare an environment and schedule that safely positions each institution and the conference for basketball competition,” said America East Commissioner, Amy Huchthausen. “We acknowledge this will be a unique season with many variables both within and outside of our control, but we will continue working with relevant stakeholder groups as we build towards a basketball season that prioritizes the health and safety of our teams and broader campus communities. While we continue moving forward with preparations, we are realistic that adaptation and flexibility are critical as conditions evolve in order to successfully navigate this season.”

1 hour ago, Dane Pound said:

I don't know who Last Word on Sports is, but they pick us second in the AE. They also love Jarvis Doles who they pick as the AE sixth man of the year. 

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2020/10/23/2020-21-america-east-basketball-preview/

Waldman seems to be Atlanta-based and mostly posts on NFL rookies.

https://www.timesunion.com/agatepage/article/Back-to-back-games-will-become-a-routine-for-15670951.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

TU story on the schedule says Mohegan Sun games moved to Dec 3-4, Drexel replaces Lehigh, and Marquette and Minnesota games canceled.

• Thanks 1

I was recently told by a follow Great Dane fan that he has heard from others in the know (sources not disclosed) that the America East is waiting on the UMBC decision whether or not their school can participate in men's and women's basketball due to COVID-19 issue in the Commonwealth of Maryland, more closely the Baltimore area.  I know Towson University is skipping Spring Football in the CAA Football.  Has anyone else heard a similar story or is this just a rumor? 

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I was recently told by a follow Great Dane fan that he has heard from others in the know (sources not disclosed) that the America East is waiting on the UMBC decision whether or not their school can participate in men's and women's basketball due to COVID-19 issue in the Commonwealth of Maryland, more closely the Baltimore area.  I know Towson University is skipping Spring Football in the CAA Football.  Has anyone else heard a similar story or is this just a rumor? 

I haven't heard that story/rumor but it wouldn't surprise me. I haven't been optimistic we'll be seeing games this winter but I'll happily be wrong. It's looking more and more like we're in for a long winter.

36 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

I haven't heard that story/rumor but it wouldn't surprise me. I haven't been optimistic we'll be seeing games this winter but I'll happily be wrong. It's looking more and more like we're in for a long winter.

As one person likes to say "There are many dark days ahead"....My response sure thing Sherlock we in fall headed towards winter, there less total time that the sun is above the horizon". Recently my optimistic view on seeing basketball starting December 2020 has declined.

https://ualbanysports.com/news/2020/11/2/mens-basketball-announces-2020-21-schedule.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0r5B3w2fLs2teRC0fxTlUll-DcCK48-imBVZP1YdNJyg0E7JdKbqZVHjY

Not in doubt anymore! But we won't be allowed at the games.

Hopefully UA has their audio/video team working overtime to ensure we can at least watch and it better not cost an arm and a leg!

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, Eli said:

Hopefully UA has their audio/video team working overtime to ensure we can at least watch and it better not cost an arm and a leg!

AGREED; but I still feel @ some point UA/State will be announcing limited in-person attendance. {HERE'S HOPING anyhow!}.

Also, anyone know the status of the AmEast contract with ESPN3 & ESPN+  ????????????

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

AGREED; but I still feel @ some point UA/State will be announcing limited in-person attendance. {HERE'S HOPING anyhow!}.

Also, anyone know the status of the AmEast contract with ESPN3 & 4????????????

Based on comments from another Great Dane fan that I see from time to time...he has been stated his sources felt that fan attendance was unlikely at the beginning of the season...based on my reading of community leaders in Albany County recently...no surprise...further medical & political leader are strongly suggesting that we shelter in place for Thanksgiving