UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2022

So he won't be a preferred walk-on or does the "preferred" means he signs a letter?

If he is getting a scholly, I believe that means we have one left or the roster is full of Horton decides to stay. I'm torn... I still want Horton to stay, but I also feel this team really needs a BIG big up front. Every team in the country is looking for a 6'10"+ type big body, so I won't hold my breath, but if we could land a real rim protector it would give the team a real chance to compete with UVM and Bryant. I fear both teams still have too much for us at the moment, but I know UVM fans are all begging for a big for their roster as well.

29 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

So he won't be a preferred walk-on or does the "preferred" means he signs a letter?

If he is getting a scholly, I believe that means we have one left or the roster is full of Horton decides to stay. I'm torn... I still want Horton to stay, but I also feel this team really needs a BIG big up front. Every team in the country is looking for a 6'10"+ type big body, so I won't hold my breath, but if we could land a real rim protector it would give the team a real chance to compete with UVM and Bryant. I fear both teams still have too much for us at the moment, but I know UVM fans are all begging for a big for their roster as well.

If memory serves, PWOs do not sign NLI's. So if he signed an NLI, he's getting money. 

Well, today was an interesting day. Albany lost Coach Matt Griffin to Florida gulf coast. However, we picked up the Ford everyone is looking for in 6’8” Japannah Kellog III, formerly of Wisconsin Green Bay. He had a solid freshman season before a lower body injury, and start at 20 of the 26 games he was in even though he was not recruited by the current coaching staff.  He is from Iowa

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

Well, today was an interesting day. Albany lost Coach Matt Griffin to Florida gulf coast. However, we picked up the Ford everyone is looking for in 6’8” Japannah Kellog III, formerly of Wisconsin Green Bay. He had a solid freshman season before a lower body injury, and start at 20 of the 26 games he was in even though he was not recruited by the current coaching staff.  He is from Iowa

Oh cool.  Send him my way, i'll show him around. 

13 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Kid looks like he’s got some slick moves inside and a decent lefty 3. Very slim, but seems slippery inside. Welcome aboard! Great name too!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dane96 said:

He is from Iowa

Ames Iowa no less.  Trying to remember which UA past player was from Ames. Pretty sure it was not Brent Wilson; but speaking of Iowa & Brent; Killings has two openings on his staff. Brent could make a nice addition and maybe help rekindle some of UA's glory days?

ps where did you see the signing and player video??

2 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Ames Iowa no less.  Trying to remember which UA past player was from Ames. Pretty sure it was not Brent Wilson; but speaking of Iowa & Brent; Killings has two openings on his staff. Brent could make a nice addition and maybe help rekindle some of UA's glory days?

ps where did you see the signing and player video??

Brent is unlikely to come to be an assistant. He is ready for his own gig, if he wants it.  He has a great thing going at Sullivan.  

it was on twitter.  Youtube video. 

53 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Kid looks like he’s got some slick moves inside and a decent lefty 3. Very slim, but seems slippery inside. Welcome aboard! Great name too!

Agreed but he did put on weight, think he is about 220 now.  He benefitted from covid year, as he was an ‘18 graduate who redshirted for ‘19, played ‘20, got his covid year 21-22.  So he would technically be a senior this year but is a soph eligibility wise. This year will be important to see if he can make the jump to 12 and 6 per game.  That’s what we need.  The 7 and 4 was against historically better comp (Horizon league), so let’s see.  The AE looks really good at the top next year, and i still think we are a year away from this group jelling plus the Beagle impact.  

I think we have one ride left, and i really think it needs to go to a pure post playing big over 6’9.  

Edited by Dane96

22 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Well, today was an interesting day. Albany lost Coach Matt Griffin to Florida gulf coast. 

The fact that two of our former assistant coaches (Griffin and Baptiste) are at a school about two hours from Justin Neely's hometown doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

52 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

The fact that two of our former assistant coaches (Griffin and Baptiste) are at a school about two hours from Justin Neely's hometown doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I would be paranoid as well

On 5/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Oh cool.  Send him my way, i'll show him around. 

13 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I believe the transfer window where you don't need to sit out a year has closed.  

So I would think he would at least play this year and see how it goes.  

As someone who lives about 25 minutes from Fort Myers where FGCU is and 2 hours from Miami, I have no concern that geography is going to lure him away.  They are 120 miles distance wise and a planet away culturally.  The only thing the Miami area and the southwest coast of Florida have in common are water, mosquitoes, humidity and invasive species. 

And the flight from Albany to Miami is about the same amount of driving time from Fort Myers to Miami, without traffic.  Except you don't drive on Alligator Alley (the actual name of 75 between the two cities. Florida, man).

Edited by BestDaneSinceHamlet
  • Like 1