UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Last Up: L (62-24) at Syracuse
Next Up: at Delaware (2-1)
Time/Date: 10/2/21 @ 3PM
TV/Streaming: FloFootball
Local Radio: 104.5

Fire Gattuso. 2nd most lopsided loss in the CAA era (9/28/13 we lost 66-10 @ ODU). Enough with this. Everyone should be emailing Benson right now calling for Gattuso be let go.

Edited by Eli

17 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Albany doesn't buy out coaches ...what needs to be done and what will be done are two different things. This is a loss though...talentless team, young, slow with zero coaching. It will be a miracle if they win. This is a bad bad bad program led by one of the worst coaches to ever coach at UA.

I agree with you Clickclack, Albany will not end the relationship early ...Benson was in the stands at Syracuse ... just shrugging his shoulders during a conversation....Gattuso looked so lost on the sidelines....Spring ball 2021 was the warning sign .... 0 - 11 is now real possibility... the announced crowd 30,000....I do not think there was 25,000 in the Dome  and half the people in the Dome left by the end of 3rd quarter

Lets not be silly here by stating that UA doesn't have talent. They have plenty of talent. Is it being optimized or are they playing up to their ability? No, not so far. Or they are an NEC team. They would beat every NEC team including Duquesne ( I know they beat a bad Ohio team), see 2019 playoffs with most of the same players. The OLine is horrible no question and needs fixing. But it is insulting to some of our current players who ARE talented and are contributing. Do think #96 the DE is talentless? Karl Mofor? the new WR #11? Be responsible when making these statements. as I assume they read this board. IF (AND ITS A BIG IF) the OLine can turn it around they can be a different team.

Edited by MRuler 79
  • Like 1

We can whine about trash talking players or coaches or whoever but the stats don't lie. After 3 games, we are at the bottom of the league in the vast majority of categories and dead last in a huge many of them. Most of these teams have also played upper echelon FBS or FCS teams so it's pretty apples to apples if you ask me.

2021-09-19-19-04-45-UAlbany-CAA-Stats-Co

Delaware lost to Rutgers 45-13

In other CAA vs FBS games, Stony Brook at #4 Oregon lost 48-7 and Elon lost to Appalachian State 44-10.

Also Towson lost to North Dakota State 35-7. Maine returned TWO blocked extra points for scores to beat Merrimack 31-26

Edited by UAalum72
  • Thanks 1

I made this point to my boss (A Syracuse fan who let me use his tickets for the game) 

• In Football: CAA is one of the top D1 FCS leagues, the ACC is a mid-tier FBS league 
  • In Basketball: The AE is a lower tier D1 league, and the ACC is a top tier D1 League

I feel the the good AE teams have an easier time keeping a basketball game close, and potentially pulling off an upset over an ACC team than a CAA team does over an ACC football team. The difference in Athletic ability is FAR greater in football than basketball. All the Cuse needed to do was get the ball to #34 and we had no one who was fast enough to come close to catching him.  (See: UMBC blowing out an overall #1 in the tourney, UA almost beating Louisville and would have won if not for a missed foul call, and UA consistently hanging with big schools in the tourney until about halfway through the second half).  The Cuse game was always going to be a loss, I just was delusionally thinking that we could have made it a game for the first half.

That said: we all knew the start of this season was going to be hard, as we have one of the hardest early schedules in all of FCS. I am not giving up yet. Could easily pull it together and have a strong CAA record and a shot at a playoff bid. Just need the O-Line to figure out how to open up some running lanes and to give the QB enough time to throw the ball. Outside of the cuse game, the D has been sufficient. Everything on the offensive side of the field hinges on the O-Lines ability to do its job.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

I made this point to my boss (A Syracuse fan who let me use his tickets for the game) 

• In Football: CAA is one of the top D1 FCS leagues, the ACC is a mid-tier FBS league 
  • In Basketball: The AE is a lower tier D1 league, and the ACC is a top tier D1 League

with 3 national championship wins in the past 8 years, i think the ACC is close to top tier for football as well.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:11 PM, MRuler 79 said:

Lets not be silly here by stating that UA doesn't have talent. They have plenty of talent. Is it being optimized or are they playing up to their ability? No, not so far. Or they are an NEC team. They would beat every NEC team including Duquesne ( I know they beat a bad Ohio team), see 2019 playoffs with most of the same players. The OLine is horrible no question and needs fixing. But it is insulting to some of our current players who ARE talented and are contributing. Do think #96 the DE is talentless? Karl Mofor? the new WR #11? Be responsible when making these statements. as I assume they read this board. IF (AND ITS A BIG IF) the OLine can turn it around they can be a different team.

Yes, there are a few kids that are talented...the overall team is not though, slow, many kids can't tackle, o-line can't block anyone, special teams is very poor with poor coverage, kicker can barely kick it on a kickoff to the 30 yard line, secondary for years has been complete trash. How many of GG's kids make it to any of the all CAA teams...a select few every year. This underscores a very serious issue that starts on the recruiting trail. This is one of the many glaring weakness, how this man managed to after year haver zero depth where kids are graduating and others are prepared to take their place is a fundamental failing of this regime. No one respects GG, his roster, his recruiting, coaching or talent...hence after 8 years they are picked near the bottom of the CAA, again. 

So yeah, we can claim they aren't utilized properly and sure with this disastrous leadership that may be true but let's not pretend he's got half a roster with all CAA type talent...he doesn't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

We have a geographical recruiting disadvantage in the CAA; add in:  Inept COACH & AD = IMHO cannot and never will {"maybe occasionally"} win in the CAA.

Absolutely, the Northeast is not a destination for top recruits at FBS/FCS level.  Just look at the FBS/FCS teams north and east of Penn St and their level of success.  The Cuse can only brag of a Clemson win a few years back.  BC hasn't been relevant since Flutie.  UConn and UMASS are the doormats of the FBS.  Rutgers has been a train wreck since moving to the Big 10.  Maine and UNH have been mid level CAA.  SBU has not thrived as the only D1 school on LI after Hofstra dropped football.  Buffalo has shown some success lately, I will give them that, but MAC teams are not playing in a major bowl game anytime soon.  Army has alot of pomp and circumstance which is great.  I did not bother to list the Ivies, NEC, or Patriot.

College football in the northeast is just tough sledding.  The few tier one recruits are going big-time down south or Midwest.  Just look at my closest D1 school to me, an hour away, is Coastal Carolina and what they have done in just 6 years at FBS level.  3/4 of their roster is from SC, NC, and GA.  Kids who stay near home and but were a step below Clemson, UGA, SC, UNC talent.  

I agree Gatuso should go if this is a 3 or 4 win season but I don't think the next guy will find it any easier to win in the northeast on a consistent basis.  FCS playoffs are nice but outside of easy matchup like CCSU, we get our butts handed to us otherwise.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Absolutely, the Northeast is not a destination for top recruits at FBS/FCS level.  Just look at the FBS/FCS teams north and east of Penn St and their level of success.  The Cuse can only brag of a Clemson win a few years back.  BC hasn't been relevant since Flutie.  UConn and UMASS are the doormats of the FBS.  Rutgers has been a train wreck since moving to the Big 10.  Maine and UNH have been mid level CAA.  SBU has not thrived as the only D1 school on LI after Hofstra dropped football.  Buffalo has shown some success lately, I will give them that, but MAC teams are not playing in a major bowl game anytime soon.  Army has alot of pomp and circumstance which is great.  I did not bother to list the Ivies, NEC, or Patriot.

College football in the northeast is just tough sledding.  The few tier one recruits are going big-time down south or Midwest.  Just look at my closest D1 school to me, an hour away, is Coastal Carolina and what they have done in just 6 years at FBS level.  3/4 of their roster is from SC, NC, and GA.  Kids who stay near home and but were a step below Clemson, UGA, SC, UNC talent.  

I agree Gatuso should go if this is a 3 or 4 win season but I don't think the next guy will find it any easier to win in the northeast on a consistent basis.  FCS playoffs are nice but outside of easy matchup like CCSU, we get our butts handed to us otherwise.  

I refuse to accept this premise...no one is suggesting that we are going to be NDSU...but UNH, Maine etc. have each won games in playoffs, multiple trips, winning seasons etc. You gonna tell me the same can't be done at UA and we have to settle for 1 winning season in 8? NO!

Edited by Clickclack

7 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I refuse to accept this premise...no one is suggesting that we are going to be NDSU...but UNH, Maine etc. have each won games in playoffs, multiple trips, winning seasons etc. You gonna tell me the same can't be done at UA and we have to settle for 1 winning season in 8? NO!

Obviously not an NDSU, but I dont think we can be a JMU either based on location.  Could a better coach and even better AD raise the program to a more respectable level?  Maybe, but what is respectable?  Maine has made the playoffs once since 2013. Would we be happy with that?  UNH last in the playoffs in 2017.  Not much consistency in either program lately.  

All I was saying is that running a football program in the Northeast that wins regularly, qualifies for playoffs or a bowl game most years, is not easy.  But I agree, one winning season in past 8 is not acceptable.  A new regime will take time to improve that record due to recruiting so .500 record may be the norm for a bit and then see where the program goes from there.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 10:51 PM, UAalum72 said:

Delaware lost to Rutgers 45-13

In other CAA vs FBS games, Stony Brook at #4 Oregon lost 48-7 and Elon lost to Appalachian State 44-10.

Also Towson lost to North Dakota State 35-7. Maine returned TWO blocked extra points for scores to beat Merrimack 31-26

Merrimack!  That must have been ugly to almost lose that one.

• Like 1