UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #8: 12/7/21 - 7:00PM at Yale

Eli

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

Team looks lost and they know it. Had a one hour closed door meeting after the game before they spoke to the media. 

Explains why the only available basketball player for a Roger post game interview was an Albany Academy grad who plays for Yale.

59 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

If anyone thought a change of coach was going to be painless, we now know how painful this year is going to be. LOL why do we have to resuracte Will Brown explanation for difficult years.  The program was still in its infancy of D1 nineteen years ago.  So you have said "the recruiting process takes years"....I do not think Dwayne Killings has years...perhaps two years at best...many D1 program recover quickly... Marquette Men's Basketball is 7 - 2 ... play Kansas State this evening so let us see how they do against them....my question: Is Marquette's mens Basketball program better off without Dwayne Killings?  I do not know the answer.....bitterness....check out the football threads...

Yes recruiting takes years. Which is why there are offers out for 2024 right now. Whether DK is still here or not by then we both don’t know, but it’s years in the making. There are clearly some here that do not want to see this basketball program have any sort of success and we know who they are so that’s why WB early years were brought up. 

You are also taking that post out of context as it was a response to another post saying DK should be winning regardless of who’s players he inherited. Which is why WB’s first two years were brought up.

Edited by UA'08
  • Haha 1

20 years ago college basketball was completely different.  We were a new D1 program.  Today's new college basketball coaches are expected to compete (and win, and a lot do). 

With the portal and the transfers you can win in a year.

We are bad.  But i don't think it's right to get on the coach. He will need some time.  I'm glad they had a meeting. It shows they know they stink and are trying to do something about it. 

I for one admit, I was not happy when Will was let go. But I like Killings and have been pulling for him and the team 100%. He came with the expectations that he was a great recruiter; and I think he has lived up to that hype. Of course it takes awhile; and I like what I see about the freshman recruits and the future. Not overly impressed about the grad transfers he brought in; but I give him some slack there, coming in when he did. 

Pretty positive about him as a recruiter and the potential there; BUT everyone questioned about his ability to COACH. Of course the jury is still out there and I DO NOT have any problem with people questioning his coaching/teaching/strategizing/etc. Most of us are not coaches or experts but IMHO there is NO reason why we as Monday morning QBs cannot question the teams play and staff performances. It has NOT been pretty and question/complain/burn is what we do on this blog. 

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed Dslyank

I posted earlier in this thread about his temperament. It wasn't a burn on him or anything like that. It feels like he is trying too hard to make everyone happy and not getting fired up. Yelling. Throwing chairs. That may never be him, and I'm not sure we even want a fiery coach, but something has to fire up and inspire the kids. He may do all those things in practice, or has gotten fired up during the road games and we haven't seen it. If that isn't his personality, then that's what assistants are for. Provide the yin/yang of leadership. I was also clear that all we have really seen is limited by mostly road games, so my comment was probably way off base.

This is common of new coaches as they try to figure out their style. Try to cement and define themselves. For the most part I've really liked the start to his UA career. We all still have plenty of patience as he tries to grow this program, but to say that it's still to early to comment on what we see is ludicrous. It's definitely WAY to early to write him off, or even be negative about him. It's not like he has a losing record after 8 years. At this point we all want him to succeed and many of us would bend over backwards to help him if we could. Part of that is pointing out areas that need improvement, even if he may never see it. We are fans, this is a fan forum, and people are going to post on what they see.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

20 years ago college basketball was completely different.  We were a new D1 program.  Today's new college basketball coaches are expected to compete (and win, and a lot do). 

With the portal and the transfers you can win in a year.

We are bad.  But i don't think it's right to get on the coach. He will need some time.  I'm glad they had a meeting. It shows they know they stink and are trying to do something about it. 

Agree with everything. It’s for sure different today than 20 years ago. My post was in response to someone who has close ties to the previous coach and has not posted all season and decided it was a good time to throw in a few digs after another loss for the new coach. Back to the fact that coaches are expected to win, it was time for a change here. 

• Like 1

10 players played double digit minutes in this game. All 11 available were on the floor. 9 players scored.  The box score looks like my rec league team of 7th graders. This is what I meant by trying to keep everyone happy.

I know it's still OOC, and unless we win the AE tournament, the record means absolutely nothing. Since we aren't gunning for a better seed in the dance at this point it makes sense to see what everyone can do during the OOC, so that needs to be said in my comments.

Anyone know why Little only saw 2 minutes? He has shown flashes of brilliance, but has also looked lost at other times. I know some on the board have been hard on Horton (I still believe he is much better than what we have seen so far) but if trying to develop everyone and get everyone minutes to show what they can do, especially the backup PG who is potentially the PG of the future, you'd think he would have played more. Injured? 

15 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Agree with everything. It’s for sure different today than 20 years ago. My post was in response to someone who has close ties to the previous coach and has not posted all season and decided it was a good time to throw in a few digs after another loss for the new coach. Back to the fact that coaches are expected to win, it was time for a change here. 

It was an observation based on other people's comments about how we have to give him time to recruit. I may not post because I am busy but I'm still reading through threads and watching the games as if it's any of your business.

But you know I can't have a comment because I actually liked Brown I'm sorry🤔.

I want the program to succeed so don't put words in anyone's mouth. But if the whole point Benson brought someone in is to ... I don't know have his own coach under his belt... Get some new blood in.. whatever it was. Everyone always talked on here about how winning is what we all needed to get butts in the seats, we have to always be in the top and be able to win a championship every year, etc etc.

Well let's see some Ws.. And as others have pointed out you don't get 5 years to build a program. And Benson chose to hire a coach who had no head coach experience so this is what we're getting.. and all the teams he was an assistant under failed.. or the head coach was fired and that's why he moved etc. I'm just not sure what the point of hiring this kind of coach was. Are we supposed to expect 3 years of losing seasons in order to possibly be in a position to win a championship.... Or are we going to go the Gattuso route.. We will see how it plays out..🤷🏻‍♀

I wasn't trying to turn this into a coach thread. It was that the lineup changed for the Yale game and I thought it was funny based on the past comments I had seen on this board...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

It feels like he is trying too hard to make everyone happy and not getting fired up. Yelling. Throwing chairs. That may never be him, and I'm not sure we even want a fiery coach, but something has to fire up and inspire the kids. He may do all those things in practice, or has gotten fired up during the road games and we haven't seen it. If that isn't his personality, then that's what assistants are for. Provide the yin/yang of leadership. I was also clear that all we have really seen is limited by mostly road games, so my comment was probably way off base.

I saw this against Kansas State. He was ON the court yelling at the refs or something. I even thought to myself that wow, he's pretty vocal/emotional. So possible folks here haven't noticed but I have in the few games I've watched (I've only seen like 2 games - don't know why but it's hard to make time for UA sports right now).

1 hour ago, UA'08 said:

You can post and comment on anything you wish. Clearly you did turn it into a coach thread, because there was only a change in the lineup due to an injury. If you’ve been following this season the lineup hasn’t changed.

Yes you are absolutely right, you know all, how could I have forgot...you know that I came here to turn a random Yale thread into an anti DK thread. ✔️

And again because you think you know everything I have been following the season. It was a factual point that there were more people in the lineup that were not his recruits. And he has more recruits on his team than he does old players to choose from. He chose to not play his own players. People on here have said he needs time to get his own players..I found it interesting he didn't chose his own players since that's losing excuse many are giving him. Other people can bitch about how the team sucks with one win and how they are not thrilled with the coach, but I can't. Gotcha! 👍

Now I remember why I don't post on here anymore. You might even notice that the person who runs this place doesn't post anymore either...wonder why.. 🙄

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Now I remember why I don't post on here anymore. You might even notice that the person who runs this place doesn't post anymore either...wonder why.. 🙄

DP has never been a heavy poster ;) ...

DP, if you are indeed looking to step away, let me know!

2 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

Yes you are absolutely right, you know all, how could I have forgot...you know that I came here to turn a random Yale thread into an anti DK thread. ✔️

And again because you think you know everything I have been following the season. It was a factual point that there were more people in the lineup that were not his recruits. And he has more recruits on his team than he does old players to choose from. He chose to not play his own players. People on here have said he needs time to get his own players..I found it interesting he didn't chose his own players since that's losing excuse many are giving him. Other people can bitch about how the team sucks with one win and how they are not thrilled with the coach, but I can't. Gotcha! 👍

You can post whatever you want. No one said you couldn’t. 

7 hours ago, UA'08 said:

Yes recruiting takes years. Which is why there are offers out for 2024 right now. Whether DK is still here or not by then we both don’t know, but it’s years in the making. There are clearly some here that do not want to see this basketball program have any sort of success and we know who they are so that’s why WB early years were brought up. 

You are also taking that post out of context as it was a response to another post saying DK should be winning regardless of who’s players he inherited. Which is why WB’s first two years were brought up.

I want to make sure one thing about me is known....I want Dwayne Killings to succeed....I do not know any UAlbany fans that do not want this team to succeed and have a winning record in conference. The changes in a basketball program are not always smooth transitation for the coach, the team and the fans....like what is happening at UAlbany.....hopefully by season three of Killings reign winning streaks are the norm..... and nearly all the fans embraced Killings

13 hours ago, cwdickens said:

If anyone thought a change of coach was going to be painless, we now know how painful this year is going to be. LOL why do we have to resuracte Will Brown explanation for difficult years.  The program was still in its infancy of D1 nineteen years ago.  So you have said "the recruiting process takes years"....I do not think Dwayne Killings has years...perhaps two years at best...many D1 program recover quickly... Marquette Men's Basketball is 7 - 2 ... play Kansas State this evening so let us see how they do against them....my question: Is Marquette's mens Basketball program better off without Dwayne Killings?  I do not know the answer.....bitterness....check out the football threads...

As a follow up .... Marquette MBB goes to 8 - 2 with their victory over Kansas State 64 - 63 .... close most of the game with Kansas State leading most of the game until the later stages... best you can say Marquette is doing better with a new coach and coaching staff .... going to monitor Marquette to see if this continues