UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

While the Lady Danes are still active and a pleasure to watch, it's time to reflect on this terrible MBB season, figure out what is going to happen for next season and move on.

While I'm excited to watch the ladies compete for a championship, I'm looking forward to not caring about basketball for a while. 

Hopefully whatever is going to happen with DK and player movement is decided quickly so the team can regroup and start working on next season ASAP. 

Biggest Questions:

• What happens with DK and the lawsuit. Is his time at UA over? I'm in the minority with supporting him, but whatever happens, I hope it's quick.
  • Do Hutch and Drumgoole enter the portal, graduate and move on, or use their eligibility to come back?
  • Does Beagle stay for at least another year or two? He could probably play anywhere he wants next year.
  • Does Jackson get a scholarship and stay, or does he enter the portal? He's another one that could probably get a solid offer after the year he had from a lot of schools.
  • Reddish had an up and down season. Showed some great growth, but had some issues and missed a few games for breaking team rules. Does he stay or look to transfer? His brother was traded to the west coast. Could he look to transfer out there?
  • Edmead, Ketner, and Kellogg all played extremely rarely as the season wound down. Edmead and Kellogg played a lot elsewhere before coming here. Do they stay?
  • What does the future look like for Neely, Little, and Amica?
  • Will SEFCU arena be ready for next season?

Finally:

While the season sucked and was painful to watch: Thank you to the players for not giving up and playing hard till the end. Thank you to Patel and Davis for giving UA your final season. Good luck with wherever life takes you! 

Gonna be an interesting and extra long off-season!

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• godanesgo99 changed the title to MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

NICE summary!

Hutch has already said he is moving on. Pretty sure he is done with basketball; but it would not surprise me, if he finished up at some dII or III program near home?

My best guess is Drumgoole is back IFF [for those of you who forgot your 10th grade Geometry, Logic for "if & only if"] DK is back. Would guess Beagle sticks it out @ UA for at least another year, regardless of DK resolution {at least I hope so.} 

Ketner IMHO is absolutely gone [witness last game he played and rolled his eyes, when DK was giving him a talking too--sure DK saw the video--Ketner has not played a minute since.] My guess Edmead also on his way out, heard a couple interviews on Wyland's post game where Edmead seemed to extol HIS game while saying the team played badly overall. Not sure this means anything at all, but I noticed a bit of an attitude here {perhaps I'm wrong?} Guessing Kellogg sticks around, did not get enough minutes to develop any interest from the portal?

I have been very high on Jackson, since day one. But yesterday IMHO he took a step backwards. Was like a deer in headlights. Two or three times in the first few minutes, his man went right by him with ease for an easy lay-up or foul. At least a couple times, he'd past up wide open shots, drove into traffic & turned the ball over [someone commented on the game thread, said he had 0 zero shot attempts.] I love his hustle, D normally, and rebounding;  but he absolutely needs to work on an outside shot and offensive CONFIDENCE.

DK in his post game said he has to find a way to get Reddish to take the next step. I haven NO idea if this is possible or if DK gets a chance to.

Guessing Neely, Little, Amica all back regardless of DK situation. Same as Kellogg, pretty hard to impress the portal people without having played much or at all?

Anyhow 99, thanks for your optimism in what was a very trying year. All we can do is HOPE, next year has got to be better. Cannot get much worse, can it?🤩😎

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of good thoughts already here but yeah, this was a mess, and all started really going south early in the year starting with Neely tearing his knee up. As others have already said, this roster should be very different next year. 

- Thank you to Hutch for sticking with the program as long as he has, wish him and the other graduating seniors the best of luck. 

- Of the players with remaining eligibility, I hope only the following kids stay...Drumgoole, Beagle, Neely, Jackson and Reddish and add to them the three kids already committed...Adnan, Robinson and Margoupis. The remaining kids are not D1 players and if this team is going to start building to something positive, need to start bringing D1 talent. I would not put Jackson on scholarship. I know people love his hustle out there, but I think he played as much as he did because there was literally no one else to play. You give him a 'ship only if you have no one else to take it. Will Amica who came with much promise has been in the program for 2 years has played combined 8 games. He played a little early this year and got shut down again. Clearly physically he is not the same player. Not sure you can continue to tie up a scholarship in a kid who can't play the sport anymore. 

- If the above plays out, you got 5 or 6 scholarships to give, assuming my count will be off you at minimum will probably have 2 or 3 to give out if one of the kids who really should move on doesn't and coaching staff keeps them. I hope priority is given in recruiting a sharp-shooting 2 guard, one quality lead guard from the transfer portal with some experience and one quality big that can defend the 5 and allow for Beagle to play more at the PF position. IMO, one of the more glaring issues on this team was incredibly poor PG play and poor rebounding (this got better later in the season). This team needs to get bigger, get a sharpshooter that can create space for Neely to attack as well as Reddish if he can stop being a complete mental case and a guard that can get them into the offense. 

- The most glaring question for me is what happens with DK. The guy is a mess! He clearly is a very poor X and O's coach at this point in his career, can this get better? He should get a little more experience on the bench, the kids there now do not have enough experience. Dan got promoted to AC last year and Ryan was still playing at St. Joes in 2021. I have no idea what DK is thinking...he needs ALL the help he can get on the bench, and he hires/promotes two kids with zero experience. No wonder this team has no system, they play neither defense nor offense well. 

• Like 1

So we need a PG, a shooting guard, a wing, and maybe another big?  Sorry I’m struggling to see much next year unless the incoming guys are really good.

Other than Beagle and Neely I’m not seeing anyone that is really D1 skill level.  Drumgoole too I guess but he was so inconsistent.  

Guys that couldn’t play their way into minutes on this team clearly don’t have D1 skills.  Ketnar?  Kellog?  

Hutchinson and Jackson are effort guys but that only goes so far.  I hear that Jackson plays good D but I’m not so sure.  Between the fouls and getting just blown by, I’m not seeing it.  Foot speed doesn’t seem to be there.  And his inability to shoot a basketball is tough to watch.

I also don’t see players that fit the uptempo we were promised.  Edmead?  Maybe.  Beagle?  Yes for a big.  Anybody else?

Here’s to the greatest portal recruiting ever.

1 hour ago, McFan said:

I hear that Jackson plays good D but I’m not so sure.  Between the fouls and getting just blown by, I’m not seeing it.  Foot speed doesn’t seem to be there.  And his inability to shoot a basketball is tough to watch.

++

I plead guilty, have been extolling Jackson's potential all year.  But your statement above, unfortunately seems closer to reality.🤔  Hopefully, chalk it off as a learning/growing year for him????

1 hour ago, McFan said:

Sorry I’m struggling to see much next year unless the incoming guys are really good.

In his post game with Wyland, DK for what its' worth did heap praise on the 3 freshman coming in. But quickly added UA needs to quickly get "OLDER."  [aka: the Portal I assume.]  Personally, I have never been a fan of the portal; but I guess it is the reality today. IMHO, DK's Portal recruits to date have been his biggest short coming/failure! I think you have to give him some props with his freshman recruiting, but has been unable to support them with quality "older"/experienced/skilled players off the portal.😝

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

In his post game with Wyland, DK for what its' worth did heap praise on the 3 freshman coming in. But quickly added UA needs to quickly get "OLDER."  [aka: the Portal I assume.]  Personally, I have never been a fan of the portal; but I guess it is the reality today. IMHO, DK's Portal recruits to date have been his biggest short coming/failure! I think you have to give him some props with his freshman recruiting, but has been unable to support them with quality "older"/experienced/skilled players off the portal.😝

Same.  Not a fan of the portal but it is what it is and we better have some success in it this year.  On the positive side I do believe freshman can come in and be very effective so if the 3 are good that'll help.  Beagle was obviously the best player as a freshman.  Neely last year.  Fingers crossed that 2 out of 3 of the incoming guys pan out (and somewhat quickly).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

++

I plead guilty, have been extolling Jackson's potential all year.  But your statement above, unfortunately seems closer to reality.🤔  Hopefully, chalk it off as a learning/growing year for him????

Right.  And I don't want to be too harsh on him but to me he seemed to play to his recruit level as a "preferred walk on".  Energy and effort for sure.  

4 hours ago, McFan said:

So we need a PG, a shooting guard, a wing, and maybe another big?  Sorry I’m struggling to see much next year unless the incoming guys are really good.

Other than Beagle and Neely I’m not seeing anyone that is really D1 skill level.  Drumgoole too I guess but he was so inconsistent.  

Guys that couldn’t play their way into minutes on this team clearly don’t have D1 skills.  Ketnar?  Kellog?  

Hutchinson and Jackson are effort guys but that only goes so far.  I hear that Jackson plays good D but I’m not so sure.  Between the fouls and getting just blown by, I’m not seeing it.  Foot speed doesn’t seem to be there.  And his inability to shoot a basketball is tough to watch.

I also don’t see players that fit the uptempo we were promised.  Edmead?  Maybe.  Beagle?  Yes for a big.  Anybody else?

Here’s to the greatest portal recruiting ever.

I agree on Jackson...so many here are swayed by effort they overlook some very significant limitation. Fringe rotation player on a good team. His shooting will actually surprise you though, he doesn't take many shots but shot 33% from 3 on the year and 50% from the field. Not a good FT shooter for a guard under 70%. 

I see him at 29% from 3 with a whole 5 made on the season (553 minutes played).  47% from the field but I’m guessing his shot chart would show a lot if his made baskets were layups (could be wrong).  I know if I’m the opposing coach I’m not worried about him shooting from outside of 5 feet.  Maybe he puts in the work and gets better.  Root for him based on his effort but so far not seeing it.  He also played a lot of PG and had a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio.  

6 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

I can't post a screenshot off KenPom because this site allows only 51Kb like it's 1995 but the numbers I quoted were off KenPom for the entire year. 

You need to host it on imgbbb first. Then put the link here. Direct upload is 50kB yes lol. 90's were the best.