UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

From Twitter:

UAlbany athletic director Mark Benson and Killings are at the women's basketball semifinal together, say there's no truth to this.

I imagine this closes the book on Killings getting fired ..... Of course only Benson would say no truth then the next day fire Killings. But I would think even he is not that stupid. He would have said no comment. Killings here to stay. Need to get better.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I was at the game, the word "together" fails to describe the amount of space between them.  Killings and Benson had at least one empty row between them, with Killings seating behind Benson to his left. I never noticed them seating side by side, there was a period of banter.  Sorry, i do not read lips and for that matter I was too far away.

Both of them, kept looking at their phones as if they were getting calls or texts frequently.

After the game, Coach Killings made a point to stop and talk to Doc Sauers.

I learned of the posting from others upon my arrival at the game but there was virtually no discussion by the group as our focus was on the WBB game and the occasional look over to Benson and Killings.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clickclack said:

This sucks if true...no one wants DK back...

Not exactly true.  I personally would like to see him and the University totally exonerated on the Fiz incident. I would like to see a healthy Neely and a great freshman class next year. I would like to see a couple studs off the portal [a pure shooter and a BIG at least.] I would like to see Amica and Little healthy and minimally contribute, I would like to see UA COMPETE for the AmEast championship next year and years to come as it has been their history.

Do I think DK can do all of this I DON'T KNOW; but I'd love to see him given the chance. Don't renew his contract when it is up next year, if he gets convicted or fails to show considerable Basketball Improvement.

Still think, fire him for "cause" for sure, but otherwise let him fulfill his contract and see what he can do. Fire him and unless UA can bring on some "miracle coach" @ a rock bottom price, IMHO they will take at least 2-3 year fall back. Don't think giving him another year to prove himself, will set UA back further and who KNOWS maybe he responds.

So I at least DO WANT DK back and betting many other do to? 

Fire Benson no one wants him; you'd get consensus there.😉

32 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Not exactly true.  I personally would like to see him and the University totally exonerated on the Fiz incident. I would like to see a healthy Neely and a great freshman class next year. I would like to see a couple studs off the portal [a pure shooter and a BIG at least.] I would like to see Amica and Little healthy and minimally contribute, I would like to see UA COMPETE for the AmEast championship next year and years to come as it has been their history.

Do I think DK can do all of this I DON'T KNOW; but I'd love to see him given the chance. Don't renew his contract when it is up next year, if he gets convicted or fails to show considerable Basketball Improvement.

Still think, fire him for "cause" for sure, but otherwise let him fulfill his contract and see what he can do. Fire him and unless UA can bring on some "miracle coach" @ a rock bottom price, IMHO they will take at least 2-3 year fall back. Don't think giving him another year to prove himself, will set UA back further and who KNOWS maybe he responds.

So I at least DO WANT DK back and betting many other do to? 

Fire Benson no one wants him; you'd get consensus there.😉

His contract has 3 years left on it...not next year so he's going to be around another 3 unless they term him for cause. A remote possibility at this point I think considering they already investigated him and let him back. 

All agreed on Benson!

I've been a DK supporter, but I'm on the fence. Can't say I want him back, but can't say I want him gone either. From day 1 it was "we need patience, as he needs 3 years to build his team and convert from an assistant to a head coach". So I that way, I'd like to give him a third year.

Did I ever think for a second we would drop so low to not make the AE tournament? No, and a school of our size in this league should NEVER drop that low. For that reason, I won't shed a single tear if he is let go.

I've been a supporter of his during the lawsuit, but that's because I'm still under the impression it was during a hype circle and maybe went a little too far, but I'm ok with an old school rough and tumble coach, and against everyone getting a trophy for trying. That said, some of the accusations are worse than what I am ok with. If true, I don't want him representing us, and fine with him gone. I still support him, but it's wavering with a lack of concrete evidence or info.

The biggest question I have: do we have good kids that are scholar athletes? If we don't make the AE tournament, is he preparing them for life? We almost always had at least 1 representative on the All-Academic team under Brown. Was anyone close? Do the players feel part of a family? Do they support him? If he was fired tomorrow then hired at another school, would multiples follow him? I gave him credit because at least 2 of his Marquette kids followed him here. That was a positive in my mind. Now one of those is suing him, and another got 0 minutes in the end of the season and didn't have positive body language in the end. 

I'm ok with giving him another year, as originally I said he needed 3, but when you put it all together, it's hard to sit back and watch. Whatever happens with him, I pray it happens quickly. Like before the "ides of March" quickly. We have a refinished arena opening next season, and whomever is the coach, they need to be working the portal and the existing team starting now.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Looks like he's going to get about 3 more cracks at it...

Just curious? I thought he was hired on a 3 year contract? What was all the talk recently about buying him out for $400,000? That would only cover one year? 
Has it always been a 5 year deal or did Benson give him one of his “extensions?”

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Looks like he's going to get about 3 more cracks at it...

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I've been a DK supporter, but I'm on the fence. Can't say I want him back, but can't say I want him gone either. From day 1 it was "we need patience, as he needs 3 years to build his team and convert from an assistant to a head coach". So I that way, I'd like to give him a third year.

Did I ever think for a second we would drop so low to not make the AE tournament? No, and a school of our size in this league should NEVER drop that low. For that reason, I won't shed a single tear if he is let go.

I've been a supporter of his during the lawsuit, but that's because I'm still under the impression it was during a hype circle and maybe went a little too far, but I'm ok with an old school rough and tumble coach, and against everyone getting a trophy for trying. That said, some of the accusations are worse than what I am ok with. If true, I don't want him representing us, and fine with him gone. I still support him, but it's wavering with a lack of concrete evidence or info.

The biggest question I have: do we have good kids that are scholar athletes? If we don't make the AE tournament, is he preparing them for life? We almost always had at least 1 representative on the All-Academic team under Brown. Was anyone close? Do the players feel part of a family? Do they support him? If he was fired tomorrow then hired at another school, would multiples follow him? I gave him credit because at least 2 of his Marquette kids followed him here. That was a positive in my mind. Now one of those is suing him, and another got 0 minutes in the end of the season and didn't have positive body language in the end. 

I'm ok with giving him another year, as originally I said he needed 3, but when you put it all together, it's hard to sit back and watch. Whatever happens with him, I pray it happens quickly. Like before the "ides of March" quickly. We have a refinished arena opening next season, and whomever is the coach, they need to be working the portal and the existing team starting now.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Just curious? I thought he was hired on a 3 year contract? What was all the talk recently about buying him out for $400,000? That would only cover one year? 
Has it always been a 5 year deal or did Benson give him one of his “extensions?”

I will be surprised however not shocked if Coach Killings is terminated since he has admitted to violating terms that all employees are expected to abide by involving reporting incidents with students and other employees.  Further, Coach Killings accepted the University disciplinary actions and he and his staff agreed to complete employment training to avoid similar issues. 

I have always had a concern about how independent and complete the university's investigation was on Luke's complaint.  Has something come to light since the original investigation was concluded?

My understanding, that the State of New York has regulations that only permit employment contracts up to five years and however an extension can be granted to bring the employment contract back to five years for the time that has passed on the original contract for good cause, such as exceptional performance.  As I recall, Will Brown had benefited from this at least once.

Sadly, Coach Killings is learning a few lessons in employment disciplinary actions, criminal and civil processes when an incident of this nature occurs.  I had always wished Killings exhibited more remorse beyond his original apology letter, which I felt he always used as shield to avoid answering any questions.

Edited by cwdickens
clarification