UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 2022-2023 Season Over

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I dunno about this comment.  One of Will's biggest UA gripes, rightfully so, was lack of support on a multitude of levels.  UA is light years ahead of supporting hoops compared to that of UNH.  I coached multiple kids who went on to star in three different UNH sports...and hoops is an afterthought.

Zero doubt in my mind if Will went to UNH that they absolutely would need to increase budgets and other ancillary support.  

That being said, I would go to UNH games often, it is a short drive from Boston.  It is a great little town for him to live.  

I should have stated that Will would be looking for a commitment of financial support similar to ice hockey. However, I have taken a second look at the New Hampshire, considering they pulled the rug from under Bill Herrion, Brown will like sidestep this opening.

29 minutes ago, dslyank said:

No loss here. As I said in a previous post:  heard a couple interviews where he praised HIS game while criticizing the team overall. Ketner next to go--see rolling eyes comment in same previous post. 

Yep, he was unplayable. Small, brutal shooter with an Orating at barely 70. 41% from inside the arc, couldn't shoot a 3. 

In the TU article, Killings makes it clear he wants to get older (hmmmm, I think some of us have said he has to use the portal better) and the PG must be better.  He specifically said he is targeting a transfer portal PG to step in immediately.  He feels like he has the best frontcourt in the AE (he goes on to say mid-major but that is a bit much) in Neely and Beagle. 

I don't disagree with that sentiment when you talk about adding an elite shooter and nimble 6'8 Jack Margoupis.  I've personally watched Jack play numerous times and he is going to be very good and will help both Neely and Beagle by drawing out defenders.  Jack plays on a very good Cushing Academy team with some big time D1 commits.  He is the 16th ranked player in New England.  Yeah, I know we were pipped once before with an alleged elite player from New England, he just turned out to be a bit of a enigma.  Jack is built completely differently.  He is what you see as a big on typical UVM teams...and he can shoot like Brent Wilson.  He likely won't be ready right away...but he will contribute.

Additionally, Cornelius Robinson has the highest ceiling of the bunch.  His team is stacked...and yeah, that unfortunate event happened...however the kid is generally well liked in the NY/NJ basketball seen and he can ball.  At 6'5, he's going to be able to play multiple positions.  

So I love that Killings is going after a PG...because those two frosh, plus Beagle and Neely...make up a great core.  You also take pressure off of both of Reddish and Little...and if just ONE of those guys has a breakout (finally) you are doing well.

I still think he needs to get one more scholarship and bring in a TRUE shooter...a Combo or small forward.  That will completely change the makeup of the team.  I also believe you have to figure out what you have in Kellog and Ketner.  If you don't think either can give Beagle and Neely significant rest at times, you need to go out and get a serviceable big while Margroupis grows into his game.  Beagle and Neely can't go 36 minutes a game, every game. 

So, I applaud folks when its due...and Killings has clearly looked at what went wrong and has made it clear to Edmead it just isn't going to work.  Good for the team, good for the player so he knows.  I still think Killings needs to get stronger on the bench coaching side...so that will be an interesting piece. 

If you go to about the 35 second mark of the clip, there will be three in a row of Jack.  He's number 24.  Great head fake on the defender for the first bucket.  Sneaky athleticism on the breakaway dunk.  Great shooting form on the three ball.  He will DEFINITELY need to bulk up. 

Edited by Dane96

I said it before but it's still relevant to this topic.  You need to keep Beagle,  Neely, and Drumgoole. If Drumgoogle decides to graduate then you lose 16 points per game.  Lose any of those you are a sub 500 team next year at best (unless you get very very lucky in the portal). 

If you keep all three, and do well in the portal, it could be a good year. 

But it's starts and stops with those 3. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

I said it before but it's still relevant to this topic.  You need to keep Beagle,  Neely, and Drumgoole. If Drumgoogle decides to graduate then you lose 16 points per game.  Lose any of those you are a sub 500 team next year at best (unless you get very very lucky in the portal). 

If you keep all three, and do well in the portal, it could be a good year. 

But it's starts and stops with those 3. 

Completely agree.  It's interesting because the article doesn't mention Drumgoole leaving or staying.  I think he plays one more season.

https://twitter.com/BigFivePlusOne/status/1636108783209402375?t=I_h9Fg_v8lJbi--8T2xWqQ&s=01

"Have heard from a few sources that Albany HC Dwayne Killings will be joining Kyle Neptune’s staff at Villanova.

Killings spent time at Temple as an assistant before going to Marquette which springboarded him to his current position."

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

https://twitter.com/BigFivePlusOne/status/1636108783209402375?t=I_h9Fg_v8lJbi--8T2xWqQ&s=01

"Have heard from a few sources that Albany HC Dwayne Killings will be joining Kyle Neptune’s staff at Villanova.

Killings spent time at Temple as an assistant before going to Marquette which springboarded him to his current position."

It’s nonsense.  Pretty much confirmed. 

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

Where there is smoke there needs to be at least some fire. However,  leaving a D1 head coaching job to become an assistant (assuming you don't get fired), is basically saying you could not handle it.  

Correct. And itt is  it happening, per multiple sources of mine including the Jay Wright coaching tree. 

These "reliable" sources have been known to be wrong before; aka Samurai recently. Just more "Fake News " if you ask me??🤨

IMHO DK will be UA's head coach @ Broadview Arena when it opens next fall. {unless he is convicted in another to be "proven" fake story.}

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, dslyank said:

These "reliable" sources have been known to be wrong before; aka Samurai recently. Just more "Fake News " if you ask me??🤨

IMHO DK will be UA's head coach @ Broadview Arena when it opens next fall. {unless he is convicted in another to be "proven" fake story.}

As accurate as it gets.  Samurai and others have some connections, however they are mostly about clicks on their tweets rather than substance. 

With the Davis, Patel, Shafer, and now Edmead scholarships open, that's at least 4 spots to fill. Still no official word that I have seen on Hutch and Drumgoole. Add in guesses of a few others that could test the portal. My guess is that the team ends with 6 spots to fill.

There are 3 incoming freshman that are confirmed, and a walk-on that deserves a scholarship in Jackson. 

That math equals at least 1 scholarship to fill, potentially as many as 3 or 4.

The Twitterverse has shown exactly zero new offers from UA. I know the signing period isn't open yet, but seeing people entering the portal and offers popping up from other schools everywhere.

Does no news from Hutch and Drumgoole, combined with no new reported offers mean that the smoke of rumors of DK leaving have some spark behind them as well?