UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena situation

It's a slow Monday, so I'm trying to increase some debate here.

I saw from the Times Union that Siena lost again at home yesterday, but the game still attracted 5,100 fans. My question concerns: Why would so many people attend a game when you have a 3-17 record? UA's record is not that great either, but you would have an approximately 50% chance of seeing the home team win. Are some of their fans ripe for poaching?

There are multiple reasons that could take 3 pages to write . The main an quick ones are :

Alumni : a ton of alumni stay in the captial region . 

Longer playing D1 with more major success.  

The arena: Awesome arena for a midmajor program . They have been playing there a while. 

Most of their fan base is extremely old.  If they don't start winning again they will draw next to no one in the next 10 years.  

We have been bad for 5 year or more now.  If we start to win the people will come.  With the best stadium in the AE we have no excuse.  

The next step is setting up an NIL. 

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

There are multiple reasons that could take 3 pages to write . The main an quick ones are :

Alumni : a ton of alumni stay in the captial region . 

Longer playing D1 with more major success.  

The arena: Awesome arena for a midmajor program . They have been playing there a while. 

Most of their fan base is extremely old.  If they don't start winning again they will draw next to no one in the next 10 years.  

We have been bad for 5 year or more now.  If we start to win the people will come.  With the best stadium in the AE we have no excuse.  

The next step is setting up an NIL. 

I think the arena sucks. As an Albany alum, I'm an Albany fan through thick and thin.

Edited by alum73
Omissions

6 hours ago, olddog71 said:

I saw from the Times Union that Siena lost again at home yesterday, but the game still attracted 5,100 fans. My question concerns: Why would so many people attend a game when you have a 3-17 record? UA's record is not that great either, but you would have an approximately 50% chance of seeing the home team win. Are some of their fans ripe for poaching?

My sister in law has stated the number of fans in the stands are far less than the reported number.  I briefly watched the game, the stands appeared relatively empty.

Edited by cwdickens
correction

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

The arena: Awesome arena for a midmajor program .

The Knickerbocker/Pepsi/TU/MVP is a terrible venue for basketball, For a "mid-major" like lcc, I agree with you that they promote it heavily in recruiting. They were pretty successful for some years; but as more and more low & mid majors upgraded on campus facilities, IMHO kptm has lost some/most of its selling power. Add to the FACT that the sight-lines there are simply terrible. The place was built for hockey and entertainment and was built to maximize seating with little or no regard for basketball viewing. 

I offer this comment, noted as IMHO; but I bet you would find a large number of people that would agree: it really  "is a terrible venue for basketball."

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

The Knickerbocker/Pepsi/TU/MVP is a terrible venue for basketball, For a "mid-major" like lcc, I agree with you that they promote it heavily in recruiting. They were pretty successful for some years; but as more and more low & mid majors upgraded on campus facilities, IMHO kptm has lost some/most of its selling power. Add to the FACT that the sight-lines there are simply terrible. The place was built for hockey and entertainment and was built to maximize seating with little or no regard for basketball viewing. 

I offer this comment, noted as IMHO; but I bet you would find a large number of people that would agree: it really  "is a terrible venue for basketball."

The MVP Arena opened on January 30, 1990, so tomorrow this arena will have served our community for 34 years.  I cannot remember the last time I attended an event at the MVP arena.  Beyond the face-lift to front entrance, I am not certain much else has changed in 34 years.  The arena seating needs replacement and the concessions area needs to be gutted and updated.

As for the MVP Arena being a basketball venue, no worse, no better than JMA Wireless Dome, which is now 42 years old, which I have attended events at in the last couple years.

I think you guys are focusing on the wrong team that wears green, yellow and white.  Hoping we play well in Burlington on Thursday.  Lets end there streak, hope DK and boys bring their sling shots.  

Edited by B9j2j6s

12 hours ago, olddog71 said:

Can't answer that,  but I go when there is something in the building worth watching and lcc is never worth watching (unless they are playing great Danes). I was there Saturday for RPI vs Union hockey. Attendance 5698 and most lower level seats were filled. I will be back for womens NCAA tournament.  Was there last year for men's ncaa tournament.  That arena has subpar site lines especially for hockey. Always prefer glens falls for hockey.  

Is there any secret plan over there. 😀

They are on their way to having another single digit win  / 20 ( actually 24) or more loss season. Will be the 3rd out of their last 4 coaches to have a season like that. One of the 4 couldn't wait to get out of there.  The other 3 got to a 24 loss season relatively quick. 4th overall to have what I describe as a great season there. None of the first 3 coached there after their single digit win 24 + loss season. 😀

Edited by bob87

Couldn't happen to a better bunch lol. We collectively think we suck (to the point where I don't even watch the games or make the threads anymore) but we are 100x better than Siena. Love to see it.

2 hours ago, Eli said:

Couldn't happen to a better bunch lol. We collectively think we suck (to the point where I don't even watch the games or make the threads anymore) but we are 100x better than Siena. Love to see it.

Yes, for this season.