UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer season thread

I believe D1 is 13 scholarships.  If no one else leaves we have 9 scholarship players. (Not counting Amica who should move on). Two recruits coming in means we have 2 scholarships to give.  

They are two huge scholarships in Killings make or break year. Needs to bring in immediate size and skill.  Hopefully drop down guys from bigger conferences. If we miss on these we are at best a .500 team.  

Edited by UA1882

On 3/18/2024 at 3:32 PM, UA1882 said:

Thanks.

Portal is active.  A little surprised Beagle is not in the first day. He has to know where he is going because he has not played in a couple of months.  

Need to keep the "Big 2". Need to recruit "up" to start.  Bigger schools. Need to sell them on excellent guards.  Don't want to see D2 or D3 kids unless that's all we can get.  

If we lose the Big 2 you can expect 10 wins at the most next year.  

There are D2 (and even D3) kids that can thrive at the AE level.  Watching Colorado St win a play in game tonight over Virginia, they have 2 D2 and one D3 guys that are significant contributors.  

Love players w chips on their shoulders, and that can be kids coming down a level or kids coming up a level.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I believe D1 is 13 scholarships.  If no one else leaves we have 9 scholarship players. (Not counting Amica who should move on). Two recruits coming in means we have 2 scholarships to give.  

They are two huge scholarships in Killings make or break year. Needs to bring in immediate size and skill.  Hopefully drop down guys from bigger conferences. If we miss on these we are at best a .500 team.  

My question: Where are these student-athletes going to come from and why would they come here?  Our overall and conference record for the last three is not compelling and Killings has only two years left (not a concern for someone coming via the portal).  

Any student athlete who watches our conference games from mid-January forward will identify concerns for the ability to contribute, particularly offensive scoring.

The selling point is the 2 very good guards. The type of guards you typically dont see together at this level. The facilities are very nice for a low major. If and it's a big if .... we get 2 impact transfers we can be very good.  Even Killings would have a hard time messing it up.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

The selling point is the 2 very good guards. The type of guards you typically dont see together at this level. The facilities are very nice for a low major. If and it's a big if .... we get 2 impact transfers we can be very good.  Even Killings would have a hard time messing it up.  

Add to it the style of basketball we play.  And "we're just missing a few pieces.  We played UVM tight but ran out of gas and that was without any real bigs at all.  With you here we can get this done"

4 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Marshall gone, have to believe Thomas is gonna hang around with no talent. Brutal...no hope!

You unfortunately need to fire him now.  Can't coach.  And can't hold on to talent.  Need to figure out a way. Back load the contract or something but he needs to go.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

You unfortunately need to fire him now.  Can't coach.  And can't hold on to talent.  Need to figure out a way. Back load the contract or something but he needs to go.  

Yeah, we know he can't coach worth a lick. Recruiting is supposed to be his bread and butter. If Thomas goes as I expect he will, what's left? This team will win 5 games next season. 

Was writing a long post on why Marshall leaving isn't the worst thing in the world if Thomas stays, but I deleted it.

I really liked Marshall as a player, but at the same time he never seemed clutch. Always getting stopped in the paint at the most inopportune moments of the game. His talent is immense though, and I definitely want him to return and to be a Great Dane.

It sucks losing a player of his caliber, but at our level we need to figure out how to get used to players coming and going. 

At this moment, I'll remind everyone that entering the portal doesn't mean gone at this point. It means they are exploring their options. There are tons of examples of players entering the portal then deciding to stay. I'm actually surprised that every single D1 player doesn't enter the portal every single year these days. Might as well. Nothing to lose on the players side other than the potential of losing their spot on their current team if they don't recommit in time. Even if they want to stay, why not enter the portal and let other schools wine and dine you for a month! 

Edited by godanesgo99