UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Transfer season thread

My thought on all the potential portal changes, once the house fire has been put out and the smoke has cleared, let us see what we have for a team.

We may be surprised who stayed and who is coming.

I not sure why everyone is so taken back by what is occurring. Could be worse, like looking for a new MBB Head Coach (LOL).

In the end, I find myself questioning my loyalty to UAlbany sports as I have seen no loyalty from our athletes, their families and our sports administration.  Our sports administration is only looking for ways to dig deeper into our pockets.

Edited by cwdickens
clarify and additional thoughts

I am going to do my best to 100% ignore all of the news on basketball transfers and the state of the UA team for the next 45 days (the end of transfer season) and I will re-evaluate at that time. Right now I want to puke. 

This team came in 8th place in the AMERICA EAST. The 4 best players on roster, in my opinion, are now in the transfer portal - Thomas, Jackson, Beagle, Marshall - and I would not be surprised if the rest of the roster goes as well. 

No reason to continue to be addicted and continue to watch the program fall apart at the seems. See you all in May. Maybe we will have a better outlook at that point. 

*odds of me not reading the site and commenting on actions are extremely low, but it is what I want at this moment so that I don't blow a fuse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I’m saying the fact everyone is leaving is a joke. This program is a laughing stock right now.

As much as I dislike DK and his coaching...honestly it's not a problem unique to UA. I think Iona lost almost every single kid, lots of programs are losing 50% of their roster or at least kids going into portal. This is a global problem in D1 hoops. I don't know how this is sustainable. 

I do think if you are on a losing team that makes the problem worse. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

I’m saying the fact everyone is leaving is a joke. This program is a laughing stock right now.

If you avg 15+ a game you would be silly not to enter the portal to try to go up. Why sit on bus trips and play in the America East. 

DK might not be able to figure it out here, but he can sure was able to recruit. Somehow turned Jameel Horton into a first team all conf/ defensive player of the year. Brought in Matt Ceruti who was a 3rd teammer. Neely ROY, Redish all rookie team. Perry would have been all conference if he didn’t get injured. Beagle ROY. Thomas 2nd team, Marshall 3rd team. 

I don’t doubt for a second he can bring in some more all conference players. We just don’t know if he knows how to coach in game.

• Like 1

Someone said it before.  Almost every mid major player will now join the portal.  Maybe our players are like "go find some great talent and we will come back". They are just keeping their options open.

However they are probably gone.

If you can't coach and you can't keep recruits, you won't be a head coach for long.  

It's free agency is what this is. This is no longer about kids, their educations and being student athletes. This is a true semi-pro thing now and lower tier programs are farm teams for bigger programs.

I was all for kids making $600 to be part of EA College Football 25 but now I think they shouldn't get a dime and NIL has ruined college sports.

Having a '4 year' kid is going to be the exception now, not the rule.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Eli said:

It's free agency is what this is. This is no longer about kids, their educations and being student athletes. This is a true semi-pro thing now and lower tier programs are farm teams for bigger programs.

I was all for kids making $600 to be part of EA College Football 25 but now I think they shouldn't get a dime and NIL has ruined college sports.

Having a '4 year' kid is going to be the exception now, not the rule.

It's gonna be unheard of is what it's gonna be lol. The only kid that's gonna stick it out for years is 11-13th kid on the roster who just wants an education and likes the school. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

https://eedition.timesunion.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=21e0b858-4177-45a3-bbf9-d33e4813accb&share=true

link to TU article. May have been posted before?
anyhow someone somewhere has got to be FIGHTING this thing. 🤪😂

I don’t think there is any going back. Pandora’s box has been opened. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

https://eedition.timesunion.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=21e0b858-4177-45a3-bbf9-d33e4813accb&share=true

link to TU article. May have been posted before?
anyhow someone somewhere has got to be FIGHTING this thing. 🤪😂

5 hours ago, jimbo said:

I don’t think there is any going back. Pandora’s box has been opened. 

3 hours ago, Oldtimer said:

It would be the third school for Marshall & Thomas.  Would they have to sit out a year without a waiver?

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

My understanding is no . College basketball is free agency every year.  Can transfer as many times as you want with no penalty.  

Para-phasing from a comment a year ago: "the Jennie is out of bottle and there is no going back".  The NCAA ruled college sports 60 plus years however their grip has loosened considerable in the last 5 years.  The NCAA is trying to be reverent with new programs and initiatives.  Is it too little too late?