UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next Years OOC Schedule

6 BCS teams is a bit much, but I say 3 BCS teams 4 High Mid-Major, Siena, and 4 fill in the blanks.

I don't think it's as easy as that, especially getting a home game from a decent mid to high mid major. Those teams have to WANT to come here. I'm not sure what the answer is but I'd love to get some names on the home slate that would get some people out to the games. I appreciate the fact that we helped Bryant out with a home and home, it hasn't been that long that we've forgotten how it feels to be the new kids on the block but come on...who got excited about Bryant twice...one of them at hom? I'd really love to see a stronger home slate this season if at all possible.

should be interesting to see how the schedule will look. as far as we know dane96 says this coming yr will be the toughest and most exciting schedule we have ever seen

All of the games being talked about are away games....Florida, Tobacco Rd. etc.....I'm waiting to find out who we can drag into our barn.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those games were lableled as Rivalry Week games on the ESPNU schedule.

Yeah and there are a couple of other weeks that they label something else to build up hype. They are mostly the same conferences that are on weekly during the conference season and are only labeled differently that week. I am not sure you point as it pertains to the Albany OOC games.

My point is only in response to someone asking whether the Albany-Siena game could be televised. I said it had more of a chance if it were held during rivalry week than during a random day in December.

If ESPN is willing to televise games such as Evansville vs. Drake and UNC A&T vs. Delaware State, than its likely that the Albany-Siena game would have a chance if presented the right way to ESPN.

Again, the games you mentioned are conference games and I think are part of existing TV packages. At least the maac game is. They may add a couple of extra conferences as part of rivalry week. Most of the rivalry games on ESPN were the regular games. Big East, Big 12 on Monday. SEC on tues, AcC on Wed ,etc. ESPNU may had added a few conferences. I think the league should try to get a package on EPSNU. Even the maac and the patriot leagues have a package of games on Friday nights. I never watch them, but I see them in the listings. It would be nice to get some of games that were on MSG like UA-Bingo, Bingo-SB , SB-UA or some or the NESN games like Vermont-BU onto ESPNU instead. But I don't know how much space ESPN has for even more games.

I think there is a better chance of getting a December game on TV. That is when ESPN had a spot for UA's Duke game and UA's Kansas game as well as the Pitt - Siena game and it is more likely to get a game with a major on TV than 2 mid majors. But I don't think with the amount of games already on TV, there is any demand outside Albany for an Albany-Siena game.

And I don't think UA has to concentrate on the Siena game for a TV game. If they can get any game on TV that would be good.

just to let everyone know where siena stands on the downstate radar, here in long island ronald more was on with the schmoozer steve summers on wfan last night.

i remember when will brown was on with mike and the mad dog both years we went to the ncaa tournament.

it just shows how much it really can do for your program winning a tournament game.

Well...the Cat is out of the proverbial bag...so I feel comfortable posting this. IN the Mike Black interview he mentioned what some of us assumed/presumed...WE HAVE A KILLER OOC next year. Return game at Penn...a game in Florida...and....drumroll....AT SYRACUSE...and at UNC. I will be making the tobacco road trip I think.

Told ya boys....toughest fricken schedule we have ever had.

So...let's get this down:

at PENN

at UCF

at UNC

at Syracuse

at Siena.

at potential school in Florida.

Syracuse and UNC should be Top 15 programs...and 'Cuse maybe top-10. As much as it pains me...Siena is going to be nasty if they can find a Hasbrouck replacement. UCF...watched them three times this year-- VERY RAW...VERY YOUNG...and A VERY SOLID MATCH-UP. Penn...was really young...and should be tough.

Any doubt our SOS is going to be sky-high.

at PENN

at UCF

at UNC

at Syracuse

at Siena.

Syracuse and UNC should be Top 15 programs...and 'Cuse maybe top-10. As much as it pains me...Siena is going to be nasty if they can find a Hasbrouck replacement. UCF...watched them three times this year-- VERY RAW...VERY YOUNG...and A VERY SOLID MATCH-UP. Penn...was really young...and should be tough.

Siena should be very good next year again. They will get a rebound from the tournament, just as we did after our appearances.

Wow! Syracuse again. I did not expect that.

I hope the schools listed above will be paired with games that we can expectedly win.

I believe the Syracuse game is part of coaches vs. cancer, so there should be another game there as well.

if it is we are guaranteed 4 games

- The 2009 tournament will include a 12-team field with games at four regional sites (Syracuse, North Carolina, Ohio State and Cal) between November 9-13. Championship Round games will be played on November 19 & 20.

- The four regional hosts will play two games at home and then automatically advance to the Championship Rounds in New York City, regardless of the regional results.

- All other participants will automatically advance to play a round-robin series at one of two other sub-regional sites. Thus, every participating team will be guaranteed four games.

- Thus, every participating team will be guaranteed four games, regardless of the regional results.

unc and su are both host sites

I believe the Syracuse game is part of coaches vs. cancer, so there should be another game there as well.

- The 2009 tournament will include a 12-team field with games at four regional sites (Syracuse, North Carolina, Ohio State and Cal) between November 9-13. Championship Round games will be played on November 19 & 20.

- The four regional hosts will play two games at home and then automatically advance to the Championship Rounds in New York City, regardless of the regional results.

- All other participants will automatically advance to play a round-robin series at one of two other sub-regional sites. Thus, every participating team will be guaranteed four games.

- Thus, every participating team will be guaranteed four games, regardless of the regional results.

It appears that the coaches vs Cancer includes 3 home games against Robert Morris, Alcorn St and Detrot-Mercy plus the game At Syracuse.

http://www.rmucolonials.com//ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=3699698

Come on guys, give me some home games. I'd like to watch some basketball next year.

I don't want four games against the NEC either but I don't think we're "too good" or "they're beneath us" to play them either. If we play the top programs in the four regional midmajor conferences (MAAC, NEC, Patriot, and Ivy), sprinkle in a couple of guarantee games I'd be happy.

For the rest of the games, my wishlist:

Buffalo

Hofstra

UMass

I'm with DanePound insofar as playing UMASS and Buffalo are concerned. Hofstra is good too; always enjoy the opportunity to beat a team from Long Island. I'd like to see us play Marist every year as well, maybe even a home and home. It would be a great draw, and the McCann Center would be rocking and sold out for UAlbany vs. Marist.

I also THINK that many of our UAlbany teams, including next year's team, would match up fairly well against some Big Ten teams because we play that kind of style (rock-em, sock-em, rebound, man-to-man defense). Put us against a Michigan (which plays the 1-3-1 zone) or Wisconsin team (man), and you'd have one ugly, defensive battle and ugly shooting contest. UAlbany vs. Michigan prediction: Michigan 38, UA 29. UAlbany vs. Wisconsin prediction: Unknown, never made it to the Kohl Center due to eating too many brats at State Street Brats. :)

Indeed, playing in Crisler Arena or the new Kohl Center in Madison (our Women's team did a few years ago) would be awesome!!

As far as the rest of our scheduling goes, I like how the America East was up in RPI ranking this due to our stronger teams and better scheduling. Hope it continues. Beyond that concern, we might as well get as much $cash-money$ as possible and use it for improvements for the SEFCU. We really need some better scoreboards in there and a bit LCD screen or two would be awesome. Anytime you can have flashing lights or screens available, there will be law firms and HMOs to advertise on them. :)

question, does siena view us as much as a rival as we do to them?

Some of their fans will deny it, but it is the game that draws their fans and students like no other regular season game. It even draws at least as many Siena fans as them playing for the ncaa berth. It is the only regular season game they actually try to sell all the seats for instead of putting garbage bags over half of them.

Siena sucks. Those students don't even show up for many of the other home games. Grrr.

at PENN

at UCF

at UNC

at Syracuse

at Siena.

SOS high, visability higher, money games, pizza being sold at SEFCU Arena now, and hopefully LCD scoreboards and TV screens on the way. I like the direction of our program. :)

UNC and Syracuse are great schools. Great work AD department!

I'm more of a football guy but I would have to guess these are money games, right? If not, it's at least it's great for recruiting. Money would be good though!

As far as Buffalo (and the other SUNYs to a lesser extend). I don't like seeing them on any schedule. The four SUNY Centers need their own identities and hanging around each other is not helping. UB has thrown us under the bus so many times we should have no contact with them whatsoever.

I like the Florida model where the state schools all play in their own leagues.

Florida - SEC

Florida State - ACC

South Florida - Big East

etc.

I also like that they all have "Florida" in their names. Sounds more impressive than” University at Tallahassee” or “UGainesville”... but sadly I guess we're stuck with our name?

Sounds like part of the event is in Albany--at the SEFCU? or TU Center? anybody have any info?

It appears that the coaches vs Cancer includes 3 home games against Robert Morris, Alcorn St and Detrot-Mercy plus the game At Syracuse.

http://www.rmucolonials.com//ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=3699698

More on the TU blog. Opening round games are November 9-13, midweek trip out to Syracuse would be in order. We play the three games at Sefcu on consecutive nights - Wow! I'm guessing the other teams are playing each other at the Cue on those nights also?

Archived