UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Part of the reason is we are getting these kinds of players is that the athletes see the commitment to football. Couple that with a coach with FBS credentials, a new stadium that is expandable it all makes sense.

The other part of the equation is that the majority of these kids who are budding superstars at Albany and most other FCS schools are run of the mill players at the FBS level. It is doubtful we will steal a kid from Florida State or Michigan although we could get the occasional transfer...(see the OL from Boston College who transferred to UA in 2008). I could see many FBS kids from UCONN, UMASS, Buffalo, and Syracuse making their way to UA

Either way, who cares as long as they are coming in. I would expect several more FBS transfer types in the coming years due to Gattuso's FBS connections.

That commitment is obvious now. And recruits are seeing it.

If I were a recruit, and I weighted the two options: having a legitimate shot at a national championship vs having a long shot chance to play in a meaningless NO NAME bowl game......

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the reason is we are getting these kinds of players is that the athletes see the commitment to football. Couple that with a coach with FBS credentials, a new stadium that is expandable it all makes sense.

The other part of the equation is that the majority of these kids who are budding superstars at Albany and most other FCS schools are run of the mill players at the FBS level. It is doubtful we will steal a kid from Florida State or Michigan although we could get the occasional transfer...(see the OL from Boston College who transferred to UA in 2008). I could see many FBS kids from UCONN, UMASS, Buffalo, and Syracuse making their way to UA

Either way, who cares as long as they are coming in. I would expect several more FBS transfer types in the coming years due to Gattuso's FBS connections.

That commitment is obvious now. And recruits are seeing it.

If I were a recruit, and I weighted the two options: having a legitimate shot at a national championship vs having a long shot chance to play in a meaningless NO NAME bowl game......

You see the swag they give out at bowl games these days? If I'm a student I'd rather play in the meaningless bowl game.

I try not to waste my time watching those games... so, no knowledge of the 'swag'. Usually start watching on the 1st of January.

I'd rather have a ring on my finger (assuming the players get championship rings)

Swag is just another a term they use for gifts.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/12/09/Colleges/Bowl-gifts.aspx

Missouri getting their Cotton Bowl gifts...

What Buffalo played in I believe...

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Sat., Dec. 21, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN); Boise, Idaho

Gift suite; Port Authority winter coat, Tiger Woods Nike Golf beanie, Scott winter ski gloves; iPack backpack; Big Game football

Story on Steve Shanely

0122S8_SteveShanley_45p.jpg

Now he’s hoping to convince other North Jersey gridiron standouts to join him.

"I want to put a fence up around North Jersey to Albany," Shanley said. "If we get a good recruiting class for 2014, I think we’ll be competing for a national championship in a few years."

That’s why he’s reached out to teammate Alec Bowman, an offensive lineman, and Don Bosco running back Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, among others, and gave them a recruiting pitch on why they should join the Great Danes.

H.S. football: Steve Shanley at home at Albany

http://www.northjers..._at_Albany.html

Edited by MsGDG

Albany received a commitment from Steve Shanley's teammate, Alec Bowman. He is a 6'4 280lb OG, two-stars by Rivals.

That's awesome! Bowman is one of the guys referenced by Shanley in the above article that he was trying to recruit. A pipleline from Paramus Catholic, Don Bosco, St. Joes Montvale and Bergen Catholic would be awesome. All those kids know each other. Those schools are very close and each have players from the same towns.

It doesn't hurt that all four of those teams are pretty amazing. I saw on one of the recruit's twitter feed that a St. Joe's person said that Albany will be good in a few years because Gattusso knows football and is a good man.

AWESOME TO HEAR!!!