UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2016

We're going to suck so bad next year...

A little early to make that statement when we don't know who half the team is yet. :)

We've lost a lot in years past and still were good.

For every Ray Sanders, Joe Cremo and Evan Singletary, there is 100 kids that will take 1-2 years to get 'assimilated'. Because Brown has to find like 6-7 guys in the next couple of weeks, we're going to be a chemistry nightmare and thus win/loss nightmare.

We might win 10 games next year.

Looks like it's up to UVM and UNH to battle it out for the championship. No way we are competing for one now...even if we win 13-14 games.

Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic, but I'm actually scratching my head right now the same way I was during the UNH game in the playoffs...how did we go from being so great to so...eh?

Northeast C.C. per Verbal Commits

And there you have it.

NM

Edited for Click:

Either he had grade issues or he doesn't want to go D2 so going to try and get better for another chance at D1? Redshirt year was not enough to get him to D1 skill level? I don't know but interesting.

Edited by DanesRGood

New life of college basketball unfortunately. Read there's already more than 700 DI transfer this year alone. Looks to break last year's record.

Return the core of Cremo, Andrews, Nichols, Ennema, Stire, Rowley and Charles, if healthy.

We certainly should be able to offer the opportunity for playing time! With an increasing number of grad transfers..I wonder if that's a route the staff is interested in.

A little early to make that statement when we don't know who half the team is yet. :)

Just last week you were saying we would win 18-20 games next year. Where is that Eli? I want that guy back!

So far we've lost a guy who played 10 minutes a game in Peters and a guy who played 0 minutes a game in McKinley. I 'm sorry to McKinley go because he looked like a promising player but I suspect we'll bring somebody pretty good in.

What we really need is some recruits coming in with awesome youtube highlight videos. That will restore some optimism.

• Like 1

Is there a really a point in red-shirting players anymore to "develop", when the majority leave with the graduate transfer rule. I'm sure Brown could have used McKinley as just a tall body a few games this year, but instead got burned giving him a red-shirt.

Just last week you were saying we would win 18-20 games next year. Where is that Eli? I want that guy back!

So far we've lost a guy who played 10 minutes a game in Peters and a guy who played 0 minutes a game in McKinley. I 'm sorry to McKinley go because he looked like a promising player but I suspect we'll bring somebody pretty good in.

What we really need is some recruits coming in with awesome youtube highlight videos. That will restore some optimism.

Hahah, that was before we lost two big bodies with no certainty of replacing them. My prediction may change again depending on who we bring in, but so far the videos we've seen are mostly guards. Brown ain't no dummy though, so lets see what happens.

I'm just worried about the chemistry. The last two teams clicked pretty good...last UNH game not withstanding. That's rare when players first start playing with one another.

Is there a really a point in red-shirting players anymore to "develop", when the majority leave with the graduate transfer rule. I'm sure Brown could have used McKinley as just a tall body a few games this year, but instead got burned giving him a red-shirt.

This.

Well this is a mighty fine how-do-you-do. I fall asleep early and wake up to a disintegrating program. LOL. Not really. Coach B and staff must be buying Pepcids in bulk by now. Let's see what they assemble before

wringing our hands.

It doesn't seem that red-shirting is the issue. Brown didn't sit Mike Wells or Max Twyman last year..but they transferred. He did sit McKay last year and McKinley this year..and they transferred. Players just seem much less likely to play things out. Whether it's playing time..homesickness..fit..etc.

And obviously the "majority" of players taking advantage of the grad transfer option is a big exaggeration..but that's affected us even less than the average program. Aronhalt's the only one who has gone that route so far.

Edited by Phoenix

Ede used it this year. Peters and Williams can as well depending on what they decide. I just think If it's not a medical or transfer red-shirt, I would keep everyone active. How many players have we had in recent years that used up all four years of eligibility at Albany? It's a rarity in college basketball these days.

I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal out of this. Peters, although a very nice young man, was not very good last season, except for 5 minutes of one game. McKinley hasn't stepped foot on the floor yet and left for a community college, which to me says he was not a good enough D1 talent and probably wouldn't get much time next year anyway. And there is nothing wrong with going to a place where you can play at the right level.

As Pheonix said: "Return the core of Cremo, Andrews, Nichols, Ennema, Stire, Rowley and Charles, if healthy."

That seems to be a solid 7 in the rotation right there. Bring in 2 to 3 good players to fill in the rotation and then some others to fill out the bench. Maybe one or two of those kids break into the rotation and one or two of the core seven finds himself back on the bench. You never know. What I do know is that Brown and staff have figured out how to keep that core and fill in around it every year with good kids who can play. They have the core for next year and now need to fill in the gaps once again and I am trusting them to do that again this year.

Ede used it this year. Peters and Williams can as well depending on what they decide. I just think If it's not a medical or transfer red-shirt, I would keep everyone active. How many players have we had in recent years that used up all four years of eligibility at Albany? It's a rarity in college basketball these days.

Last sentence is the key. It's not just Albany. It's all throughout college basketball. At this point if they can keep 2 kids per class for all 4 years that's a success. I think Brown and staff have done that, except for Stire's class.

• Like 1

Not a surprise that Heather has stayed. With her sister here for 4 years, their parents are a big part of the UA athletic family and would expect her to stay for 4 years and graduate also. Hope that Kaela Hilaire, the top recruit for next year still comes after Coach Abe leaving. Top scorer on Long Island this past season at 30.1 pts/gm and a State Finals runner-up for Floral Park HS.

McKinley leaving is sad. He filled out a lot during the year and he seemed explosive during warm-ups.

I'm really sad to see big Rich go. No matter how much time he got he was always my favorite player to watch in the post. I really thought he wouldn't see much more time next year because I thought McKinley would eat most of his minutes. I wonder if Peters starting looking because he knew Rowley and Stire were still starting and thought he would lose time with the freshman who ended up leaving. (Eligible immediately means he graduated though right?)

I won't panic yet, but the rumors of WB leaving that I have heard while speaking with some people who are much closer than I am may have more teeth than I thought? If the players think he is leaving maybe it makes them nervous and start looking elsewhere?