UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

New/upgraded arenas bring new fans. Look at the attendance at the Bofo for the first season (terrible team) vs. the second season (much better team). If you think it's just about the quality of ball on the court, you're mistaken. We averaged 7000 in 2013 and i think around...5000? in 2014.

Obviously this isnt just in Albany. Every new baseball team that builds a new stadium increases attendance pretty dramatically. The Miami Marlins drew 700,000 more fans in their first year in a new stadium. That was a team that could barely draw flies, let alone catch them.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but you'd never convince me that someone doesn't attend because the scoreboard is antiquated. Same with the food; No one's going to the game for the "dinner". If you don't want to see the 2 time (women 3 time) defending AE champions play, that's a shame. Also if you're a student, it's free. Please list the incentives for other schools that are consistently used to entice the student body to games. We've had free pizza this year already. I think the best idea is to get more students from the states which are more "rabid" about sports in general, Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc. SoCal dane has lived there he can probably attest.

UA is fortunate to have great teams in almost every sport. For me, it's hard to believe the progress that the school has made since it went DI just 15 years ago. It has been a pleasure to read all the comments on this topic just over today. I find some comments a little distressing, but if it's reality in any of the fans' minds here, then it has validity. Regarding school spirit, it comes and goes. Not so many years ago when the UA men's basketball team won the season crown and we were going to host the championship game against Vermont, I was never prouder of this school's spirit. To have hundreds of students waiting up to two days before tickets became available for that game signified a huge shift in spirit. Where else would you be able to find such a high level of interest? Only at the top, top schools. I wish we could recreate that spirit.

I'm sorry, but you'd never convince me that someone doesn't attend because the scoreboard is antiquated. Same with the food; No one's going to the game for the "dinner". If you don't want to see the 2 time (women 3 time) defending AE champions play, that's a shame. Also if you're a student, it's free. Please list the incentives for other schools that are consistently used to entice the student body to games. We've had free pizza this year already. I think the best idea is to get more students from the states which are more "rabid" about sports in general, Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc. SoCal dane has lived there he can probably attest.

UA is fortunate to have great teams in almost every sport. For me, it's hard to believe the progress that the school has made since it went DI just 15 years ago. It has been a pleasure to read all the comments on this topic just over today. I find some comments a little distressing, but if it's reality in any of the fans' minds here, then it has validity. Regarding school spirit, it comes and goes. Not so many years ago when the UA men's basketball team won the season crown and we were going to host the championship game against Vermont, I was never prouder of this school's spirit. To have hundreds of students waiting up to two days before tickets became available for that game signified a huge shift in spirit. Where else would you be able to find such a high level of interest? Only at the top, top schools. I wish we could recreate that spirit.

Camping out in 06 was one of the best experiences up there.

As for some folks complaining on here or not arriving with all the proper facts in order... isn't that the insanity/joy of anonymous internet posting?! :)

Very few of us are actually anonymous...

Fair enough. But the internet is all about voicing an opinion, whether its been thoroughly researched or not. Or whether one wants to pursue said opinion as a greater cause.

New/upgraded arenas bring new fans. Look at the attendance at the Bofo for the first season (terrible team) vs. the second season (much better team). If you think it's just about the quality of ball on the court, you're mistaken. We averaged 7000 in 2013 and i think around...5000? in 2014.

Obviously this isnt just in Albany. Every new baseball team that builds a new stadium increases attendance pretty dramatically. The Miami Marlins drew 700,000 more fans in their first year in a new stadium. That was a team that could barely draw flies, let alone catch them.

This is true. There are basketball fans, of whom I have acquaintance with, in this area who go to Siena games instead of UA basketball games simply because of the venue and not because of any partiality or favoritism towards Siena.

What are you hiding behind, jam master?

Hey- i know you had a cousin who played baseball at Siena. And I believe I've seen you wear a Siena tshirt more than once, Benedict Dane!!

Not true at all. What is true is that not only did you PREFER to hit on the Siena girls down at T's but you also did your thesis in Prof. Roberts class on The Renaissance Art and The Effect on Outlying Non-Florentine Areas focusing on..wait for it. Siena.